Suffolk 2014

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:17 am

Wow, Suffolk is unranked this year. Even schools like Quinnipiac and Albany law did better. Northeastern surged. It's BS. They must have seriously gamed their numbers. There not really much "better" than Suffolk.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:01 am

jaydizzle wrote:Wow, Suffolk is unranked this year. Even schools like Quinnipiac and Albany law did better. Northeastern surged. It's BS. They must have seriously gamed their numbers. There not really much "better" than Suffolk.


They certainly are not that much better. However, Suffolk is in a very saturated market, competing with Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern, UConn, and to a lesser extent UNH and New England Law - Boston. In addition, Suffolk's large class size means there are a large number of graduates that will have a very hard time finding legal work. If you work hard, do well, and network, you can make a very nice life for yourself.

I think bjoscott said it perfectly in his post on the previous page.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby jaydizzle » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:05 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Wow, Suffolk is unranked this year. Even schools like Quinnipiac and Albany law did better. Northeastern surged. It's BS. They must have seriously gamed their numbers. There not really much "better" than Suffolk.


They certainly are not that much better. However, Suffolk is in a very saturated market, competing with Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern, UConn, and to a lesser extent UNH and New England Law - Boston. In addition, Suffolk's large class size means there are a large number of graduates that will have a very hard time finding legal work. If you work hard, do well, and network, you can make a very nice life for yourself.

I think bjoscott said it perfectly in his post on the previous page.


Yup, this is what I believe as well.

Suffolk2L
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:21 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby Suffolk2L » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:10 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Wow, Suffolk is unranked this year. Even schools like Quinnipiac and Albany law did better. Northeastern surged. It's BS. They must have seriously gamed their numbers. There not really much "better" than Suffolk.


They certainly are not that much better. However, Suffolk is in a very saturated market, competing with Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern, UConn, and to a lesser extent UNH and New England Law - Boston. In addition, Suffolk's large class size means there are a large number of graduates that will have a very hard time finding legal work. If you work hard, do well, and network, you can make a very nice life for yourself.

I think bjoscott said it perfectly in his post on the previous page.


Yup, this is what I believe as well.



My own opinion about why Suffolk has seemingly fallen down into the abyss in the rankings is due to there being a shakeup in the administration and a lack of a university president. Suffolk has had an interim dean for the past year, and Dean Nelson just started in Sept. The university system as a whole doesn't have a new president after David Sergant retired either. I feel that without a push from the top about the quality of Suffolk as a school has hurt it in the rankings. Additionally, US News changed their ranking system this year as well, and the lack of employment stats by Suffolk has hurt Suffolk as well. Even though I'm a 2L and these rankings shouldn't bother me, it still stings a little to see the school be unranked.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:07 am

Suffolk2L wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Wow, Suffolk is unranked this year. Even schools like Quinnipiac and Albany law did better. Northeastern surged. It's BS. They must have seriously gamed their numbers. There not really much "better" than Suffolk.


They certainly are not that much better. However, Suffolk is in a very saturated market, competing with Harvard, BU, BC, Northeastern, UConn, and to a lesser extent UNH and New England Law - Boston. In addition, Suffolk's large class size means there are a large number of graduates that will have a very hard time finding legal work. If you work hard, do well, and network, you can make a very nice life for yourself.

I think bjoscott said it perfectly in his post on the previous page.


Yup, this is what I believe as well.



My own opinion about why Suffolk has seemingly fallen down into the abyss in the rankings is due to there being a shakeup in the administration and a lack of a university president. Suffolk has had an interim dean for the past year, and Dean Nelson just started in Sept. The university system as a whole doesn't have a new president after David Sergant retired either. I feel that without a push from the top about the quality of Suffolk as a school has hurt it in the rankings. Additionally, US News changed their ranking system this year as well, and the lack of employment stats by Suffolk has hurt Suffolk as well. Even though I'm a 2L and these rankings shouldn't bother me, it still stings a little to see the school be unranked.


I'm sure the fact that USNWR is now taking the part-time numbers into consideration does nothing to boost Suffolk's ranking. I bet that if Suffolk was located in a region with less competition it would be much higher ranked: 80-100.

jaydizzle
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:10 am

Albany got ranked ahead and NYC is even more cluttered. Albany is pure crap too. It's a fricken for-profit school. At this point I stopped caring. I got a nice scholarship, and I want a government career. I have a lot of undergrad debt so it makes no sense to pay sticker at Penn State. Thank you Suffolk! I hope we all do well! I am still waiting to see what will happen with my waitlists.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:16 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Albany got ranked ahead and NYC is even more cluttered. Albany is pure crap too. It's a fricken for-profit school. At this point I stopped caring. I got a nice scholarship, and I want a government career. I have a lot of undergrad debt so it makes no sense to pay sticker at Penn State. Thank you Suffolk! I hope we all do well! I am still waiting to see what will happen with my waitlists.


Albany is ranked ahead of Suffolk, because it is not truly a part of the NYC region and dominates Albany and the surrounding area.

LaProfe14
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:31 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby LaProfe14 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:26 pm

I sent all my stuff on 1/25 and haven't heard anything yet and i'm in NY. i thought I would have heard an answer by now according to LSN.

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby 69Coronet » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:55 pm

I'm going to the reception on the 25th, I'm looking forward to it.

I am a little concerned in the fact that they're unranked this year. Seems like some BS from USNWR, honestly, but I don't make the rules.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:08 am

69Coronet wrote:I'm going to the reception on the 25th, I'm looking forward to it.

I am a little concerned in the fact that they're unranked this year. Seems like some BS from USNWR, honestly, but I don't make the rules.


I keep hearing this concern, and I dont get it. Suffolk has never been ranked, and they only added like 40 spots this year. Why the big surprise?? Anyone considering Suffolk should know its Tier 3.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:04 am

ElvisAaron wrote:
69Coronet wrote:I'm going to the reception on the 25th, I'm looking forward to it.

I am a little concerned in the fact that they're unranked this year. Seems like some BS from USNWR, honestly, but I don't make the rules.


I keep hearing this concern, and I dont get it. Suffolk has never been ranked, and they only added like 40 spots this year. Why the big surprise?? Anyone considering Suffolk should know its Tier 3.


Its worse than T3- it's unranked.

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby orm518 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:24 am

BCLS wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:
69Coronet wrote:I'm going to the reception on the 25th, I'm looking forward to it.

I am a little concerned in the fact that they're unranked this year. Seems like some BS from USNWR, honestly, but I don't make the rules.


I keep hearing this concern, and I dont get it. Suffolk has never been ranked, and they only added like 40 spots this year. Why the big surprise?? Anyone considering Suffolk should know its Tier 3.


Its worse than T3- it's unranked.


Without fail this guy shows up.
:roll:

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:22 pm

BCLS wrote:I'm commenting here ing because I know the Boston legal market and I know students from almost all the schools in the Boston area. Most students I know, even many with full scholarships, completely regret going to Suffolk

Im done, take my advice fwiw



He said he was done quite a while ago. He's got secret Suffolk envy.

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby 69Coronet » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:24 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
69Coronet wrote:I'm going to the reception on the 25th, I'm looking forward to it.

I am a little concerned in the fact that they're unranked this year. Seems like some BS from USNWR, honestly, but I don't make the rules.


I keep hearing this concern, and I dont get it. Suffolk has never been ranked, and they only added like 40 spots this year. Why the big surprise?? Anyone considering Suffolk should know its Tier 3.

God forbid I don't read the rankings every year or know them forwards and backwards.
I was told they were ranked previously by someone who I work with...

I think the rankings are BS when looked at through the scope of the Boston area anyway, but I digress.

69Coronet
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:35 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby 69Coronet » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:26 pm

BCLS wrote:Its worse than T3- it's unranked.


Well aren't you mister supreme douche!

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby orm518 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:48 pm

69Coronet wrote:
BCLS wrote:Its worse than T3- it's unranked.


Well aren't you mister supreme douche!


To use an overused TLS acronym: TITCR

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:53 pm

So who's planning on attending the event on Friday evening? Everyone want to meet up a few minutes before hand?

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:15 pm

Lol at not having a job upon graduation

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:18 pm

BCLS wrote:Lol at not having a job upon graduation


I know two people, both top 20% at BC who are graduating this year with nothing lined up.

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:31 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
BCLS wrote:Lol at not having a job upon graduation


I know two people, both top 20% at BC who are graduating this year with nothing lined up.


Moreover, BCLS was ripped up by a BC 2L in his own topic:


viewtopic.php?f=4&t=129348

bcls85 wrote:I'm a 2L BC Law student. I share your enthusiasm for the atmosphere at the school, but I should caution that employment prospects are still dismal. Seems like only the top 10-15% are faring well, and outside of that it's hit or miss. Plenty of LR students don't have jobs.

I don't think there are many better places than BC to go to school, but before considering which law school you would like to attend, you must evaluate whether going to law school in such an uncertain job environment is worth the extraordinary investment.

I say none of this out of frustration, as I do have a summer offer. I am only warning you that while campus life is great, job prospects right now are not.


and

bcls85 wrote:Yes, my post was with respect to law school in general. Boston is especially hard to break into now. The Boston College 3L anonymous letter that appears on www. eagleionline.com reflects the frustration of law school students across the country.

A partner at a prestigious firm in Boston, during my callback interview with that firm, questioned why anyone would pay the extraordinary expense of law school given employment prospects right now. They are not bad for just the bottom of the class, or median. Firms have cut down their class sizes significantly, and there is no indication that they will be increased to a point where law school will become an attractive investment in the near future.


So while the majority of your classmates make plans to live at home while paying back that $200,000 to BC. I'll take my chances at Suffolk with a hefty scholarship.

User avatar
ElvisAaron
Posts: 313
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:03 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:42 pm

69Coronet wrote:
BCLS wrote:Its worse than T3- it's unranked.


Well aren't you mister supreme douche!


BCLS comes off like he's got a vendetta because a Suffolk grad banged his old lady, but there is a foundation of fact in most of his vitriol. All of us who are considering T3-T4 schools should have done our due diligence by now. Most of us know what it is, so his comments are just annoying.
However, some here clearly are missing some info. Not knowing a school's history or statistics is neglecting important factors, and lets not forget there are people on this forum who do NOT have full schollys for Suffolk or even close to it, and not everyone reads the whole thread..a (small) dose of BCLS here and there might not be such a bad thing.

ItsMyTimeBoston-I'm out for Friday bud, looks like I'll be a Husky next year, barring some horrific experience at their ASD in April. Maybe I'll see you there...

User avatar
orm518
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby orm518 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:58 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:I'm out for Friday bud, looks like I'll be a Husky next year, barring some horrific experience at their ASD in April. Maybe I'll see you there...


Had to double take, to me Huskies = Northeastern. Congrats on UConn!

ItsMyTimeBoston
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:04 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:
69Coronet wrote:
BCLS wrote:Its worse than T3- it's unranked.


Well aren't you mister supreme douche!


BCLS comes off like he's got a vendetta because a Suffolk grad banged his old lady, but there is a foundation of fact in most of his vitriol. All of us who are considering T3-T4 schools should have done our due diligence by now. Most of us know what it is, so his comments are just annoying.
However, some here clearly are missing some info. Not knowing a school's history or statistics is neglecting important factors, and lets not forget there are people on this forum who do NOT have full schollys for Suffolk or even close to it, and not everyone reads the whole thread..a (small) dose of BCLS here and there might not be such a bad thing.

ItsMyTimeBoston-I'm out for Friday bud, looks like I'll be a Husky next year, barring some horrific experience at their ASD in April. Maybe I'll see you there...


I totally agree with you! Congrats on UConn - I'm thrilled for you!

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:14 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
BCLS wrote:Lol at not having a job upon graduation


I know two people, both top 20% at BC who are graduating this year with nothing lined up.


Moreover, BCLS was ripped up by a BC 2L in his own topic:


viewtopic.php?f=4&t=129348

bcls85 wrote:I'm a 2L BC Law student. I share your enthusiasm for the atmosphere at the school, but I should caution that employment prospects are still dismal. Seems like only the top 10-15% are faring well, and outside of that it's hit or miss. Plenty of LR students don't have jobs.

I don't think there are many better places than BC to go to school, but before considering which law school you would like to attend, you must evaluate whether going to law school in such an uncertain job environment is worth the extraordinary investment.

I say none of this out of frustration, as I do have a summer offer. I am only warning you that while campus life is great, job prospects right now are not.


and

bcls85 wrote:Yes, my post was with respect to law school in general. Boston is especially hard to break into now. The Boston College 3L anonymous letter that appears on www. eagleionline.com reflects the frustration of law school students across the country.

A partner at a prestigious firm in Boston, during my callback interview with that firm, questioned why anyone would pay the extraordinary expense of law school given employment prospects right now. They are not bad for just the bottom of the class, or median. Firms have cut down their class sizes significantly, and there is no indication that they will be increased to a point where law school will become an attractive investment in the near future.


So while the majority of your classmates make plans to live at home while paying back that $200,000 to BC. I'll take my chances at Suffolk with a hefty scholarship.


Ha typical Suffolk law student oversight-- our names are completely different.

BCLS
Posts: 567
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:40 am

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:16 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
BCLS wrote:Lol at not having a job upon graduation


I know two people, both top 20% at BC who are graduating this year with nothing lined up.


That's sad. I'm sure they will find something soon. I know many more who have great jobs lined up, almost none without at least something (albeit not all biglaw). Furthermore, if its that bad at BC, what's it like at Suffolk?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 5 guests