Suffolk 2014

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ItsMyTimeBoston

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:46 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Wow, I got some great news today. I got a Trustee Academic Scholarship! Woot! With the need-based grant and this, I did quite well. I emailed the office asking if this new scholarship takes away the previous one I got for more information. If my waitlists do not work out or Penn State does not award me more money, I might be going to Suffolk! Does anyone know if it really does cost $20,000 a year to live in Boston?

Congratulations! That's exciting.

Honestly, I think it would be very hard to get by on only $20,000, but I'm sure you could make it work.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Wow, I got some great news today. I got a Trustee Academic Scholarship! Woot! With the need-based grant and this, I did quite well. I emailed the office asking if this new scholarship takes away the previous one I got for more information. If my waitlists do not work out or Penn State does not award me more money, I might be going to Suffolk! Does anyone know if it really does cost $20,000 a year to live in Boston?

Congratulations! That's exciting.

Honestly, I think it would be very hard to get by on only $20,000, but I'm sure you could make it work.

Yeah, I am very happy. Persistence had paid off. The good thing is all you need to do is take the T to the law school.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:59 pm

jaydizzle wrote: Does anyone know if it really does cost $20,000 a year to live in Boston?

You can get by on probably $14-16k with roommates living frugally in cheaper neighborhoods, but closer to 20k if you want to live alone (splitting with roommates obviously helps) or live in neighborhoods closer to SULS.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:43 am

Does Suffolk have an Open House or is it just these scattered events from time to time that I get post cards and emails about? I am on a lot of waitlists, so one of my concerns is finding an apartment and then being stuck with a lease. Can anyone make some recommendations for me? I don't mean to sound like I will bail on Suffolk the minute any school works out financially or a waitlist works outs. It's just that COL is expensive in Boston, and I am waitlisted at a school that is ranked quite well and is very close to home. Also, I am totally new to living by myself and finding an apartment. In undergrad I lived in a dorm setting, and I currently live with my parents. I don't want to make any stupid housing decisions this summers that will lose me thousands. Thanks!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:08 am

jaydizzle wrote:Does Suffolk have an Open House or is it just these scattered events from time to time that I get post cards and emails about? I am on a lot of waitlists, so one of my concerns is finding an apartment and then being stuck with a lease. Can anyone make some recommendations for me? I don't mean to sound like I will bail on Suffolk the minute any school works out financially or a waitlist works outs. It's just that COL is expensive in Boston, and I am waitlisted at a school that is ranked quite well and is very close to home. Also, I am totally new to living by myself and finding an apartment. In undergrad I lived in a dorm setting, and I currently live with my parents. I don't want to make any stupid housing decisions this summers that will lose me thousands. Thanks!

I've lived in Boston for the past 6 years and have had everything from roommates to my own place. You will be able to find an apartment/roommate situation at any time--even if you have to wait to August to look. Just hold off on making moving plans until you know where you are going to be. I know it's stressful, but don't lock yourself into anything if you feel you have a realistic change of going somewhere you'd rather be.

I know there's an event the evening of the 25th and that's the only thing on my radar at the moment.

gtrwanka

Postby gtrwanka » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:11 pm

When are the majority of decisions coming out? I dont see that many posts about acceptances on this board so just wondering.

bjoscott

Postby bjoscott » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:38 pm

gtrwanka wrote:When are the majority of decisions coming out? I dont see that many posts about acceptances on this board so just wondering.

Most of the people here have gotten a response from Suffolk already. Suffolk does use rolling admissions so the later you apply the later the decision. It seems that most people receive a decision within a month of appying however.

FrOhara1213

Postby FrOhara1213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:55 pm

bjoscott wrote:
gtrwanka wrote:When are the majority of decisions coming out? I dont see that many posts about acceptances on this board so just wondering.

Most of the people here have gotten a response from Suffolk already. Suffolk does use rolling admissions so the later you apply the later the decision. It seems that most people receive a decision within a month of appying however.

I applied in mid-January and have only received e-mails for webcasts, etc. Never even received an application complete e-mail, although from trolling previous message boards, that's not unusual. We're approaching the 2-month mark however... should I call for a status update? They are one of 2 remaining schools I have yet to hear from.

bjoscott

Postby bjoscott » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:37 pm

FrOhara1213 wrote:
bjoscott wrote:

I applied in mid-January and have only received e-mails for webcasts, etc. Never even received an application complete e-mail, although from trolling previous message boards, that's not unusual. We're approaching the 2-month mark however... should I call for a status update? They are one of 2 remaining schools I have yet to hear from.

Calling wouldn't hurt. I called a couple times and each time the lady who aswered the phone was very nice and let me know the status of my app. One time she even told me that my decision was being mailed because the envelope was sitting there ready to go. :)

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:45 pm

Is the scholarship offer binding? If you send in the deposit does that mean you have to go?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:09 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Is the scholarship offer binding? If you send in the deposit does that mean you have to go?

No, but keep in mind that it will keep money from others, at least in the meantime, if you really don't intend on matriculating. Though I know you're just on the fence, because you feel you might have better offers coming or get off a waitlist.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:07 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Is the scholarship offer binding? If you send in the deposit does that mean you have to go?

No, but keep in mind that it will keep money from others, at least in the meantime, if you really don't intend on matriculating. Though I know you're just on the fence, because you feel you might have better offers coming or get off a waitlist.

I am attending unless something miraculous comes through. Even then, I am not sure at this point. I got a great offer from Suffolk which surprised me. Today, I got a book with a hand written note .

Anyways, does anyone have more employment information on Suffolk? I am expecting that by the time we graduate our employment prospects should be better. Big law seems almost impossible, but how about mid-law or some nice government jobs?

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:12 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

I am attending unless something miraculous comes through. Even then, I am not sure at this point. I got a great offer from Suffolk which surprised me. Today, I got a book with a hand written note .

Anyways, does anyone have more employment information on Suffolk? I am expecting that by the time we graduate our employment prospects should be better. Big law seems almost impossible, but how about mid-law or some nice government jobs?

I am sure you have seen this, but this is the employment information for the most recent graduating class.

http://law.suffolk.edu/offices/career/d ... Prelim.pdf

Also, I do not know about 2L and 3L oci placements, but for 1L's I know many people in three of the sections and everyone has placements for their first summer. In my section about half the section has clerkships with the courts in MA, NH, RI and VT. I do not know any that are clerking in CT or ME.

As for first year firm placement the only placements are in small firms and are almost unpaid. I know of one that offers a stipend.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:18 pm

dgthree wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

I am sure you have seen this, but this is the employment information for the most recent graduating class.

Also, I do not know about 2L and 3L oci placements, but for 1L's I know many people in three of the sections and everyone has placements for their first summer. In my section about half the section has clerkships with the courts in MA, NH, RI and VT. I do not know any that are clerking in CT or ME.

As for first year firm placement the only placements are in small firms and are almost unpaid. I know of one that offers a stipend.

Thanks! These stats do not seem too bad. Does anyone know what type of government positions Suffolk grads land? Top of class, median, etc.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:01 pm

It doesn't seem all that hot either though. I mean out of 429 people who responded, only 219 had jobs that required a JD. And the folks who didn't respond probably didn't have anything.

Also, out of the 41 people who are working at firms with 100 attorneys and up, how do we know 35 or more of those graduates are not employed as something less than associate, like paralegal? I mean Suffolk's biglaw placement was only like 3-5% when the economy was rocking - they cannot be doing as well as that document makes them out to be in 2009 when times were tough.

This is probably a more accurate outlook for the school when things are good:

http://www.law.com/img/nlj/charts/composite.pdf

See page 6.

I don't want to be bashing Suffolk's employment numbers, as I will most likely be attending, but go in with your eyes open. You cannot come out of Suffolk around the median and expect to have sufficient opportunities. It's a large school in a saturated market.
Last edited by ItsMyTimeBoston on Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:44 pm

dgthree wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Thanks for the info, dgthree! That's positive news!

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Yeah, I know. It's my best option unless something opens up after the deposit deadlines.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:01 pm

dgthree wrote:I am sure you have seen this, but this is the employment information for the most recent graduating class.

That isn't the most recent graduating class.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:38 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
dgthree wrote:I am sure you have seen this, but this is the employment information for the most recent graduating class.

That isn't the most recent graduating class.

We are just approaching the 9-month mark for the class of 2010. Do I'm assuming the school will be sending out an employment survey to the class of 2010 soon and releasing the data in the coming months.

BCLS

Postby BCLS » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:36 pm

lol at those being the numbers for the class of 2009.

gtrwanka

Postby gtrwanka » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:42 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:It doesn't seem all that hot either though. I mean out of 429 people who responded, only 219 had jobs that required a JD. And the folks who didn't respond probably didn't have anything.

Also, out of the 41 people who are working at firms with 100 attorneys and up, how do we know 35 or more of those graduates are not employed as something less than associate, like paralegal? I mean Suffolk's biglaw placement was only like 3-5% when the economy was rocking - they cannot be doing as well as that document makes them out to be in 2009 when times were tough.

See page 6.

I don't want to be bashing Suffolk's employment numbers, as I will most likely be attending, but go in with your eyes open. You cannot come out of Suffolk around the median and expect to have sufficient opportunities. It's a large school in a saturated market.

I'm stuck between Suffolk/quinnipiac/pace/hofstra etc. Part of the hesitance I have with Suffolk is their class size. It's almost double quinnipiacs. I know a person at Suffolk right now and she loves it but I'm leaning towards quinnipiac due to the smaller size and peace and quiet of being in Hamden. These decisions are uber tough to make.

mkr5u

Postby mkr5u » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:48 pm

Anyone going to the reception in DC on the 23rd?

Also, I want to be a criminal attorney. Is Suffolk the right place for me? I've mainly aimed at regional schools in my law school choices.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:53 pm

gtrwanka wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:It doesn't seem all that hot either though. I mean out of 429 people who responded, only 219 had jobs that required a JD. And the folks who didn't respond probably didn't have anything.

See page 6.

I'm stuck between Suffolk/quinnipiac/pace/hofstra etc. Part of the hesitance I have with Suffolk is their class size. It's almost double quinnipiacs. I know a person at Suffolk right now and she loves it but I'm leaning towards quinnipiac due to the smaller size and peace and quiet of being in Hamden. These decisions are uber tough to make.

If those are the schools that you're deciding between, it is going to come down to where you want to practice.

bjoscott

Postby bjoscott » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:26 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:If those are the schools that you're deciding between, it is going to come down to where you want to practice.

I think that IMTB is right on this. Suffolk will give you some access in the Greater Boston/Providence area. Quinnipiac on the other hand will help with access in the Connecticut area. Hofstra in Long Island etc. It really does matter where you want to end up after law school. None of these schools will get you a job in a New York firm. They can open some doors within each's respective commnities however. There seems to be an atmosphere on this board that if you aren't going to a T14 then you are wasting your time. I disagree. If I attend Suffolk, I will walk away with ~20K in debt. That number is entirely managable. One of the assumptions that too many people make on this board is that people will attend a lower tier school at sticker price. I don't have the numbers to get a scholarship at a top school. I can however get a substantial scholarship at a lower ranked school. Since I do not plan on going anwhere else after finishing law school, I see this as a reasonable investment in my education.
My point is: for me the location of the school is one of the most important factors in my selection. The second factor is the amount of money that I will be offered in a scholarship. I wouldn't go to Hofstra no matter how much they offered me. It is not because I don't like Hofstra. Since I have no interest in living on Long Island, it doesn't make any sense for me to go there.

gtrwanka

Postby gtrwanka » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:13 pm

bjoscott wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:If those are the schools that you're deciding between, it is going to come down to where you want to practice.

I think that IMTB is right on this. Suffolk will give you some access in the Greater Boston/Providence area. Quinnipiac on the other hand will help with access in the Connecticut area. Hofstra in Long Island etc. It really does matter where you want to end up after law school. None of these schools will get you a job in a New York firm. They can open some doors within each's respective commnities however. There seems to be an atmosphere on this board that if you aren't going to a T14 then you are wasting your time. I disagree. If I attend Suffolk, I will walk away with ~20K in debt. That number is entirely managable. One of the assumptions that too many people make on this board is that people will attend a lower tier school at sticker price. I don't have the numbers to get a scholarship at a top school. I can however get a substantial scholarship at a lower ranked school. Since I do not plan on going anwhere else after finishing law school, I see this as a reasonable investment in my education.
My point is: for me the location of the school is one of the most important factors in my selection. The second factor is the amount of money that I will be offered in a scholarship. I wouldn't go to Hofstra no matter how much they offered me. It is not because I don't like Hofstra. Since I have no interest in living on Long Island, it doesn't make any sense for me to go there.

Is it reasonable to say that one has more freedom to move around after gaining a few years of experience?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”