Suffolk 2014

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
benzene

Re: Suffolk 2014

Postby benzene » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:30 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
Ghenghis Khan wrote:
birD wrote:
Thanks for the advice! Think it's worth trying to negotiate with Dean Ellis or better to wait it out and see if they offer it?

YES DEFINITELY WORTH IT! email dean ellis asap, refer to this thread on how to do it properly viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Wow!! Thanks so much for the advice...i emailed Dean Ellis this past weekend and I just received an email from her letting me know i had received a full academic trustee scholarship! Thanks again, definitely looks like it worked!

Any advice for me? I emailed her and others. I am getting no where. Your stats are better than mine, so they probably don't give a shit about me. Can someone help look over my statement that I want to send to the dean? As my cycle is almost over, I really need to get some money at Suffolk. I want to go here.

I emailed Dean Ellis twice before I received response from her about a scholarship. I waited 2 weeks between emails and was informed after the second one that my request was sent to the Scholarships Committee and came back with funding. I suppose be persistent but not overly annoying.

dgthree

Postby dgthree » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:11 pm

Another option is waiting until the deadline passes. They will reoffer the money that students do not take. It may pay off to say you are still interested in scholarship money and if after the deadline any becomes available you would love to be considered for the "reoffering". Of course, this means you would have to accept your offer prior to the deadline. This would show you would take the money and puts you in a better place anyway.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:33 pm

Did anybody else receive their financial aid letter and accepted student reception invitation today? More importantly, who's going?

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Did anybody else receive their financial aid letter and accepted student reception invitation today? More importantly, who's going?

Not yet. I am less than 2 hours away, so hopefully I will soon. Was it your whole financial aid package including the Need Access and Fafsa stuff too or just merit aid?

orm518

Postby orm518 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:56 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:Did anybody else receive their financial aid letter and accepted student reception invitation today? More importantly, who's going?

Got it today. Was initially thrown because SULS doesn't list Grad PLUS unless you request them, so the numbers seem off, but instructions in the packet answered my question.

As for the event on 3/25, sounds interesting, is this ASD or is it a select group? I will try to make it after work.

Yay! Another free book to read! (I read the last one, not bad)

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:59 pm

orm518 wrote:

Got it today. Was initially thrown because SULS doesn't list Grad PLUS unless you request them, so the numbers seem off, but instructions in the packet answered my question.

As for the event on 3/25, sounds interesting, is this ASD or is it a select group? I will try to make it after work.

Did you get offered any need-based grants? I'm just curious to see how they use the Need Access form. It cost $28, and I am in some financial difficulties right now. I hope it actually helped me.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:08 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
orm518 wrote:

Did you get offered any need-based grants? I'm just curious to see how they use the Need Access form. It cost $28, and I am in some financial difficulties right now. I hope it actually helped me.

I didn't do the Need Access Form because I work full time and will be attending 1L in the evening division and then transferring to the day program after the first year. I received my scholarship plus a Direct Subsidized Stafford and a Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. So, I'm pretty pleased.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 pm

orm518 wrote:

It seems like it's for admitted students and not some subset, but don't have any info to back that up. I'm looking forward to add another Suffolk professor's book to my shelf too:)

bjoscott

Postby bjoscott » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:32 pm

I am planning on going to the reception. I also received the financial aid letter but they stated that they need my parents financial info. I personally think that is ridiculous. I am in my mid-thirties with a wife and three kids. I don't see how my parents financial info is at all relevant. I will call their office tomorrow.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:33 pm

jaydizzle wrote: Did you get offered any need-based grants? I'm just curious to see how they use the Need Access form. It cost $28, and I am in some financial difficulties right now. I hope it actually helped me.

I did fill out the Need Access.

But, my package did not contain any need based aid. The package was a merit scholarship covering majority of tuition, and the $20.5k max of Federal Direct Loans (mixed between sub and unsub, not maximum sub), so it totaled more than tuition, but not quite full "Cost of Attendance". So, if I wanted to, I could borrow up to that level ($64,580 for JD Day living on their own) through Federal Grad PLUS loans.

There's also info on the back on how to request up to $2k towards purchasing a computer, where they'll add either $2k or the cost of a laptop, if less than $2k, to your budget to allow you to borrow more.

Bottom line: lots 'o debt, even with nice merit $

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:36 pm

bjoscott wrote:

I am planning on going to the reception. I also received the financial aid letter but they stated that they need my parents financial info. I personally think that is ridiculous. I am in my mid-thirties with a wife and three kids. I don't see how my parents financial info is at all relevant. I will call their office tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm wish you there. I remember reading something on their financial aid website regarding the Need Access Form and not providing certain info and just looked it up:

"If extenuating circumstances prevent a student from submitting the required parent information, the student may submit a written, detailed request for a waiver. This request should be submitted directly to the Suffolk Law Office of Financial Aid by mail or email at lawfaid@suffolk.edu (use “waiver of parent data” for email subject)."

My guess is they might want your parents info regardless. I thought it was pretty ridiculous as a 30 year old myself.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:39 pm

orm518 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote: Did you get offered any need-based grants? I'm just curious to see how they use the Need Access form. It cost $28, and I am in some financial difficulties right now. I hope it actually helped me.

Bottom line: lots 'o debt, even with nice merit $

+1

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:44 pm

Thanks for the info guys. I am just freaking out because I took the LSAT twice and screwed up. I can't find work right now, and I have a ton of undergraduate debt. I'm just hoping something works out.

Sunny703

Postby Sunny703 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:58 am

New to the board and thought I'd introduce myself - attending this fall's eve div after 15 (ongoing) years in the corporate world. I did receive the reception invite but no financial details at all just yet (my ancient UGPA likely doesn't warrant merit and Grad GPA "doesn't count" sadly)! Hoping to hear soon but realize if I do, it would be before all the top applicants perhaps haven't withdrawn, freeing up their offers maybe...

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:36 am

Got my financial letter. I wish the Dean would respond to me. I got a terrible offer. I wish they actually looked at my Need Access form. Based on everything I read, I qualify for more need-based aid. I sent her an email on Monday, so I have to wait again. The deposit deadline is coming, and I am tired of being worked around. This is a T4 schools just like another T4 school I got accepted to.

orm518

Postby orm518 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:56 am

jaydizzle wrote:Got my financial letter. I wish the Dean would respond to me. I got a terrible offer. I wish they actually looked at my Need Access form. Based on everything I read, I qualify for more need-based aid. I sent her an email on Monday, so I have to wait again. The deposit deadline is coming, and I am tired of being worked around. This is a T4 schools just like another T4 school I got accepted to.

In all technicality, it's a T3 school, though TLS doesn't usually parse a difference between T3/4.

Also, I've always been told unless you're indigent (qualify for Federal welfare TANF benefits or food stamps), don't expect need based aid for grad school.

Good luck petitioning, I don't know your situation, just wanted to provide what I've gleaned from talking to Pre-law councilors and Financial Aid offices.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:00 pm

orm518 wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:Got my financial letter. I wish the Dean would respond to me. I got a terrible offer. I wish they actually looked at my Need Access form. Based on everything I read, I qualify for more need-based aid. I sent her an email on Monday, so I have to wait again. The deposit deadline is coming, and I am tired of being worked around. This is a T4 schools just like another T4 school I got accepted to.

In all technicality, it's a T3 school, though TLS doesn't usually parse a difference between T3/4.

Also, I've always been told unless you're indigent (qualify for Federal welfare TANF benefits or food stamps), don't expect need based aid for grad school.

Good luck petitioning, I don't know your situation, just wanted to provide what I've gleaned from talking to Pre-law councilors and Financial Aid offices.

Thanks. No job, and pitty aid for schools. I'm becoming increasingly depressed. If I don't go to school, I have no idea how I will be able to start paying my current loans. I graduated at the top of my class from a good school, and I am just not having luck. I'm probably going to have to find a minimum wage job.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 pm

jaydizzle wrote:
orm518 wrote:

Thanks. No job, and pitty aid for schools. I'm becoming increasingly depressed. If I don't go to school, I have no idea how I will be able to start paying my current loans. I graduated at the top of my class from a good school, and I am just not having luck. I'm probably going to have to find a minimum wage job.

I guess you're going to have to decide whether or not you can realistically succeed in law school—given the school you decide on, its location and the job market—to the point you will feel comfortable living and paying off your debt given a realistic outcome.

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:18 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
jaydizzle wrote:
orm518 wrote:

I guess you're going to have to decide whether or not you can realistically succeed in law school—given the school you decide on, its location and the job market—to the point you will feel comfortable living and paying off your debt given a realistic outcome.

Alright, I am going to end my rant. No one probably wants to hear it. I'm just screwed in so many different ways right now, so I am not entirely sure what to do.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:06 am

bjoscott wrote:

I'll likely be there as well...maybe our TLS crowd should plan to meet up..

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:46 am

ElvisAaron wrote:
bjoscott wrote:

I'd certainly be up for that.

bjoscott

Postby bjoscott » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:30 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
ElvisAaron wrote:
bjoscott wrote:

I'd certainly be up for that.

Like I said, I will be there. It will be good to start making connections at the school since it increasingly looks like I will be attending. I just can't see getting any money from Uconn and that is if I even get accepted at all.

I was also able to get a waiver of the parent's financial info. They did make me submit a formal request with supporting facts but they responded very quickly.

LaProfe14

Postby LaProfe14 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:10 pm

For those that have been notified, how long did it take to get an answer? I applied 1/25 and got a letter last week about sending some additional documents to financial aid office. Wish they had a status checker!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:14 pm

LaProfe14 wrote:For those that have been notified, how long did it take to get an answer? I applied 1/25 and got a letter last week about sending some additional documents to financial aid office. Wish they had a status checker!

http://suffolk.lawschoolnumbers.com/applicants

jaydizzle

Postby jaydizzle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:35 pm

Wow, I got some great news today. I got a Trustee Academic Scholarship! Woot! With the need-based grant and this, I did quite well. I emailed the office asking if this new scholarship takes away the previous one I got for more information. If my waitlists do not work out or Penn State does not award me more money, I might be going to Suffolk! Does anyone know if it really does cost $20,000 a year to live in Boston?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”