Suffolk 2014 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Suffolk2L

New

Re: Suffolk 2014

Post by Suffolk2L » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:48 pm

Ghenghis Khan wrote:Sort of a complete random question...but are law students granted acces to the undergrad facilities such as a gym? (although I know nothing about the undergrad institution so I'm not sure if there is one for undergrads either)
Yes they are but the gym is really tiny and nothing to brag about at all. No track to run, not many machines/weights, etc. However it is free and free is always good! :mrgreen:

Ghenghis Khan

New

Post by Ghenghis Khan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:22 pm

Suffolk2L wrote:
Ghenghis Khan wrote:Sort of a complete random question...but are law students granted acces to the undergrad facilities such as a gym? (although I know nothing about the undergrad institution so I'm not sure if there is one for undergrads either)
Yes they are but the gym is really tiny and nothing to brag about at all. No track to run, not many machines/weights, etc. However it is free and free is always good! :mrgreen:
Thanks for the help!

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:15 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:I emailed Dean Ellis and was informed that she'd consider me for more money if after the April 15 deadline others with scholarship offers decline. Wish me luck!
I got that same line from her in an email last week. Well, I suppose I'll put down my deposit and hope for more $. I have offers from others schools, but with Suffolk's money it has the lowest CoA, so even if I don't get more $, I'm probably headed for Suffolk.

dgthree

New

Post by dgthree » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:38 am

Suffolk2L wrote:
I have never been, but I heard the "old" gym was a total POS, but they have made some updates and it is pretty decent now. Also, I have heard it is really tiny, but again I have never been.

prelawtx

New

Post by prelawtx » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:39 pm

i was on the waitlist for about week and got my acceptance letter today!

so here's the question:
what is the ranking of suffolk?
all the websites have different rankings :/

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:48 pm

prelawtx wrote:i was on the waitlist for about week and got my acceptance letter today!

so here's the question:
Go back a few pages in this thread and you'll see a letter from Dean Nelson. This year SULS fell into the "Rank not Published" group. Nelson contends Suffolk was one point away from being ranked, at #143.

Last year they moved from Tier 4 to Tier 3 (USNWR's old ranking system of 1-100, T3, T4).

This year USNWR placed a higher emphasis on legal employment post-graduation and consequently SULS fell. They claim 85% employment at 9 months, not all of that in JD required positions. This is a much lower number than other Boston law schools.

jvictoria26

New

Post by jvictoria26 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:24 pm

I still haven't heard from them (applied for the evening program). Should I be worried?. Did anyone hear from their financial aid office before getting accepted? Curious.

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:31 pm

jvictoria26 wrote:I still haven't heard from them (applied for the evening program). Should I be worried?. Did anyone hear from their financial aid office before getting accepted? Curious.
Well I was in the same boat and decided to call them to see what was going on and the girl would not tell me yes or no only that I should go out and have a celbratory beer, so I am thinking that I got in on the evening program. So maybe you should do the same call and see what they say.

jvictoria26

New

Post by jvictoria26 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:23 pm

callen7828 wrote:
jvictoria26 wrote:I still haven't heard from them (applied for the evening program). Should I be worried?. Did anyone hear from their financial aid office before getting accepted? Curious.
Well I was in the same boat and decided to call them to see what was going on and the girl would not tell me yes or no only that I should go out and have a celbratory beer, so I am thinking that I got in on the evening program. So maybe you should do the same call and see what they say.
I called and was told since I took the feb lsat they have yet to review those applicants. She told me it would be a few more weeks. I just send my non refundable deposit to this other school but I was hoping I heard from suffolk before I gave that money away *sigh* I will continue to wait. CONGRATS by the way!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:09 pm

jvictoria26 wrote:
callen7828 wrote:
I called and was told since I took the feb lsat they have yet to review those applicants. She told me it would be a few more weeks. I just send my non refundable deposit to this other school but I was hoping I heard from suffolk before I gave that money away *sigh* I will continue to wait. CONGRATS by the way!
Well good luck for sure! What is the school you sent the deposit to?

krzr17

New

Post by krzr17 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:28 am

I just called Suffolk a couple hours ago and the girl told me my "letter" was going out today...I asked if it was a good letter or a bad letter and she wouldn't say. Her tone made me think it was bad news, but then again, she sounded a bit aggravated when she answered the phones. I'm sure it's annoying dealing with people checking up all day...I applied to the evening program, too. I'm so nervous! I REALLY want to go to Suffolk. I sent my deposit to NESL yesterday to hold my spot. I never thought I would say this, but I hope I'm out $200!!!

It amazes me how many people bash Suffolk and NESL...I know amazing attorneys from both schools and I know horrible attorneys from the big names (Harvard, BU, BC, etc.). As a Suffolk grad (or NESL for that matter), you may have a little more proving to do, but I think its the person who makes the lawyer, not the school.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether my letter is good or bad? I'm trying to stay positive and think that she can't say "package" because that would give it away...but where another person on here was told to go out and have a beer...that makes me nervous.

Ok, I'll stop rambling!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:31 pm

krzr17 wrote:I just called Suffolk a couple hours ago and the girl told me my "letter" was going out today...I asked if it was a good letter or a bad letter and she wouldn't say. Her tone made me think it was bad news, but then again, she sounded a bit aggravated when she answered the phones. I'm sure it's annoying dealing with people checking up all day...I applied to the evening program, too. I'm so nervous! I REALLY want to go to Suffolk. I sent my deposit to NESL yesterday to hold my spot. I never thought I would say this, but I hope I'm out $200!!!

It amazes me how many people bash Suffolk and NESL...I know amazing attorneys from both schools and I know horrible attorneys from the big names (Harvard, BU, BC, etc.). As a Suffolk grad (or NESL for that matter), you may have a little more proving to do, but I think its the person who makes the lawyer, not the school.

Anyone have any thoughts on whether my letter is good or bad? I'm trying to stay positive and think that she can't say "package" because that would give it away...but where another person on here was told to go out and have a beer...that makes me nervous.

Ok, I'll stop rambling!
It is impossible to even guess without knowing your numbers.

krzr17

New

Post by krzr17 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:37 pm

I'm embarrassed to say...I'm a horrible standardized test taker and got a 148 but my GPA was 3.79...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:48 pm

krzr17 wrote:I'm embarrassed to say...I'm a horrible standardized test taker and got a 148 but my GPA was 3.79...
Well, the LSAT is no ordinary standardized test -- did you do a lot of prep? Knowing your numbers, it is still really hard to say, though I would lean slightly to the side of a not so great letter.

krzr17

New

Post by krzr17 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:53 pm

I studied for months...I improved incredibly, too. I have worked in the legal field for 12 years and 5 of them with the government (I'm a paralegal) so I'm hoping my life experience will help. I'm not giving up hope just yet... :)

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:02 pm

krzr17 wrote:I studied for months...I improved incredibly, too. I have worked in the legal field for 12 years and 5 of them with the government (I'm a paralegal) so I'm hoping my life experience will help. I'm not giving up hope just yet... :)

Definitely do not give up hope, but do have a beer :D

orm518

Bronze

Post by orm518 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:05 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:do have a beer :D
This is pretty good advice anytime. Best of luck.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

krzr17

New

Post by krzr17 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:06 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
krzr17 wrote:I studied for months...I improved incredibly, too. I have worked in the legal field for 12 years and 5 of them with the government (I'm a paralegal) so I'm hoping my life experience will help. I'm not giving up hope just yet... :)

Thanks! I definitely see wine in my future...I'm more annoyed that I have to wait until I get home from work tomorrow!

Thanks for the luck ItsMyTimeBoston and ORM518...I appreciate it! It's great that this forum is here - you don't feel so alone with stuff (that's the technical terminology, you know)

prelawtx

New

Post by prelawtx » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:57 pm

i have my first deposit to texas tech but i still can't decide if i want to attend suffolk or tech..
i'm from austin and the idea of moving to lubbock is horrifying.
however, ttu tuition is cheaper than suffolk and i'm in with their jd/mba program.
suffolk is not in texas and from what i have gathered, suffolk is a better school [for lack of a better word] than ttu.

any suggestions?

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:08 pm

prelawtx wrote:i have my first deposit to texas tech but i still can't decide if i want to attend suffolk or tech..
i'm from austin and the idea of moving to lubbock is horrifying.
however, ttu tuition is cheaper than suffolk and i'm in with their jd/mba program.
suffolk is not in texas and from what i have gathered, suffolk is a better school [for lack of a better word] than ttu.

any suggestions?

Have you ever been to Boston? Would you want to start your career in Boston? You can always deposit as Suffolk also (I think it was only $200) and you can have a little more time to make a decision.

krzr17

New

Post by krzr17 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:50 pm

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Just got my letter...I'm on the wait list (sigh). At least it wasn't a rejection...does anyone people who been put on the wait list and selected? I'm wondering how long I have to wait now! :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

krzr17

New

Post by krzr17 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:22 pm

prelawtx wrote:i was on the waitlist for about week and got my acceptance letter today!

so here's the question:
Was your acceptance letter a packet or a small envelope?

callen7828

New

Post by callen7828 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:32 pm

krzr17 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

Just got my letter...I'm on the wait list (sigh). At least it wasn't a rejection...does anyone people who been put on the wait list and selected? I'm wondering how long I have to wait now! :|
I was also waitlisted then contacted and offered the night program, so I opted to take the evening program and was accepted the next day.

ItsMyTimeBoston

Bronze

Post by ItsMyTimeBoston » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:28 am

krzr17 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

I imagine that they reevaluate their waitlist after each deposit date and then send out offers in small batches thereafter. If you’re dead set on attending Suffolk, definitely send Dean Ellis a letter of continued interest.

krzr17

New

Post by krzr17 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:43 am

ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:
krzr17 wrote:
ItsMyTimeBoston wrote:

I imagine that they reevaluate their waitlist after each deposit date and then send out offers in small batches thereafter. If you’re dead set on attending Suffolk, definitely send Dean Ellis a letter of continued interest.

Already drafted and in with my WL letter of intent form. :) I plan on either walking over to the school (it's right down the street from me) and drop it off today or dropping it in the mail. Fingers continued to be crossed!

callen7828 - that is good to know. I hope I'm contacted as quickly.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”