Getting a LOR from a current teacher?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Anomaly

Getting a LOR from a current teacher?

Postby Anomaly » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:55 pm

Last edited by Anomaly on Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

ATR

Re: Getting a LOR from a current teacher?

Postby ATR » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm no expert on this, but it doesn't strike me as a huge issue, assuming he can accurately describe your abilities.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:14 pm

Pretty similar situation here. Taking the LSAT for the first time on the 11th, I don't feel comfortable even asking any of my former teachers for a LOR (I always get A's in the classes I don't attend or B's in the ones I do), but am sure that I will get A's in two classes I'm taking now (PoliSci with essays/part essay exams), so I think these are the profs I should ask. I don't think I can really wait to ask until the class is over and grades are in (Dec 17), because I'm not 100% sure they'll say yes and even if they did that they would have them done and sent to LSAC by the time my scores come in (12/30 possibly), since I hear it can take two weeks for their letters to be uploaded to LSAC. So what I'm thinking about doing is asking during office hours either this upcoming week or the next if they could write one up. If they say they need to wait until the course is completed, then I'll explain the situation to them and ask if they can write it before the final and send it as soon as they have the final graded.

This is my plan, let me know what you think.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:22 pm

Why would this be frowned upon? I'm getting a LOR from a professor that I have class with this semester but I also took classes with him before...I really don't see how this could hurt you unless I'm missing something from your original post.

2011Law

Postby 2011Law » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:50 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Why would this be frowned upon? I'm getting a LOR from a professor that I have class with this semester but I also took classes with him before...I really don't see how this could hurt you unless I'm missing something from your original post.

I'm assuming OP is like me and has not taken a class with the professor in question before and is unsure how the professor will react to being asked to write a LOR before all the grades are in (maybe he writes the letter and then you do horrible on the final or something, that would be pretty awkward).

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:54 pm

2011Law wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Why would this be frowned upon? I'm getting a LOR from a professor that I have class with this semester but I also took classes with him before...I really don't see how this could hurt you unless I'm missing something from your original post.

I'm assuming OP is like me and has not taken a class with the professor in question before and is unsure how the professor will react to being asked to write a LOR before all the grades are in (maybe he writes the letter and then you do horrible on the final or something, that would be pretty awkward).

Oh - Yeah that would be pretty awkward. I don't think you should ask if you don't have a single grade for a class yet...even if you aced the midterm...

runningzigzag

Postby runningzigzag » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:29 am

Best advice I can give you...get LOR's from Professor's you've had multiple classes with and have had an "A" average in those classes. They will know you best academically and will more than likely give you a glowing review.

Don't ask someone who you've had one class with and hasn't even given you a final grade yet. Being 10 years out of undergrad myself, that will look very stupid in the Professor's eyes and they will frown on you behind your back. More than likely, you will get a pretty sub-par LOR from them (if they even decide to give you one at all). If you must get one from a current Professor (that you have no final grade from), I would wait until the first semester's final grades are posted and then approach. Do not approach before...you will regret it later down the road.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”