Narrowing down application list! Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hedwig

Silver

Re: Narrowing down application list!

Post by Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:40 am

No, I'm not applying to Cornell. I don't want to go there, but yeah, that's a nice addition.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:40 am

eit wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Eit, WUSTL and USC really? I'm looking at a scholy from WUSTL, you should not be. UVA and up is all you should even be considering applying to even with a fee waiver (unless your shooting for acceptances from all the top 14 just to make yourself feel good). I really liked Michigan and it was my favorite school even before my disappointing LSAT but idk if you can compare a full scholarship at Michigan with regular plain old admission to Yale, and that is from someone praying for Michigan.
Ah, conflicting advice. Some people are saying WUSTL gives out good scholarships and I should apply for that. Other people like you are saying that's silly. And no, I'm kind of the person who's like "well, if I don't want to go there, why apply?" That's why I'm trying to figure out what kind/how many places I should apply to for maximum leverage but minimum "why the hell am I doing this" kind of thing.

If I get into one of HYS, I'm going to have to think and consider the financial aid packages obviously. I am not a US citizen so my options for loans are limited.
Whatever scholarships you can get from WUSTL I'm sure you can get from a T14

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:42 am

Mike12188 wrote:
eit wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Eit, WUSTL and USC really? I'm looking at a scholy from WUSTL, you should not be. UVA and up is all you should even be considering applying to even with a fee waiver (unless your shooting for acceptances from all the top 14 just to make yourself feel good). I really liked Michigan and it was my favorite school even before my disappointing LSAT but idk if you can compare a full scholarship at Michigan with regular plain old admission to Yale, and that is from someone praying for Michigan.
Ah, conflicting advice. Some people are saying WUSTL gives out good scholarships and I should apply for that. Other people like you are saying that's silly. And no, I'm kind of the person who's like "well, if I don't want to go there, why apply?" That's why I'm trying to figure out what kind/how many places I should apply to for maximum leverage but minimum "why the hell am I doing this" kind of thing.

If I get into one of HYS, I'm going to have to think and consider the financial aid packages obviously. I am not a US citizen so my options for loans are limited.
Hmm. What do y'all think? True?

I just really want a full ride.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:45 am

Michigan should already be offering you a full ride

WhatToDo21

New

Post by WhatToDo21 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:47 am

eit wrote:
Mike12188 wrote:
eit wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

Hmm. What do y'all think? True?

I just really want a full ride.
If you go to WUSTL with those numbers TLS collective head will explode!! For real, don't bother applying there you're as close to a lock as you can be for getting a full ride to somewhere in the T14.. Only thing you gotta watch for is getting YP at places, so make sure you write some extra essay's for each place gl and congrats

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:48 am

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/generals10 4.03/175

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/maryam8 3.97/173

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/Stinson 4/172

They each managed to snag at least one full ride from a T10

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:54 am

Apply to any of the T14 at your discretion. You're likely in at one or more of HYS; you'll start seeing substantial scholarships at the CCN level; you'll be able to attend MVPDB for free.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:39 pm

beachbum wrote:Apply to any of the T14 at your discretion. You're likely in at one or more of HYS; you'll start seeing substantial scholarships at the CCN level; you'll be able to attend MVPDB for free.
While I think she'll get a offer for a full ride from MVP, there's a chance she won't have multiple full rides to choose from. She could very well be wl'd at one or more. YP is lame. Casting a wide net is still the best choice, no matter your numbers IMO (esp since you can try to negotiate money from schools who snubbed you initially).

Check it the percentage drop between a 173 and a 174 at Michigan with a similar GPA. Good for lolz, esp since they absolutely deny YP:
--LinkRemoved--

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:52 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
beachbum wrote:Apply to any of the T14 at your discretion. You're likely in at one or more of HYS; you'll start seeing substantial scholarships at the CCN level; you'll be able to attend MVPDB for free.
While I think she'll get a offer for a full ride from MVP, there's a chance she won't have multiple full rides to choose from. She could very well be wl'd at one or more. YP is lame. Casting a wide net is still the best choice, no matter your numbers IMO (esp since you can try to negotiate money from schools who snubbed you initially).

Check it the percentage drop between a 173 and a 174 at Michigan with a similar GPA. Good for lolz, esp since they absolutely deny YP:
--LinkRemoved--
Thanks for posting that link. Do you think writing a very strong Why Michigan would help me avoid YP? I am actually insanely interested in Michigan so I wouldn't just be writing it to write it, I really really want to go there.

Also for that chart - is the first percentage amount who got accepted? I.E. NYU accepted 100% (33) applicants with my GPA/LSAT score and rejected none? Am I reading that right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:59 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Yea but YP only really happens when the adcomms don't believe you would really consider attending.

@ OP What really might be gold would be to explicitly say that scholarship money is a big consideration since you are a Canadian citizen. Then MVPB would know that they have a reasonable chance at snagging you with a full scholarship over CCN with (most likely) only partial and HYS with none. If you incorporate that don't say you are applying to "lower ranked schools" but instead "a wide variety of schools". I talked with some admissions people and schools in the MVP range know they aren't HYS or even CCN but I'm sure they don't like rolling out the read carpet for some one and then being rejected. Just give them a good reason to believe you will attend and they'll likely bite.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:32 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Yea but YP only really happens when the adcomms don't believe you would really consider attending.

@ OP What really might be gold would be to explicitly say that scholarship money is a big consideration since you are a Canadian citizen. Then MVPB would know that they have a reasonable chance at snagging you with a full scholarship over CCN with (most likely) only partial and HYS with none. If you incorporate that don't say you are applying to "lower ranked schools" but instead "a wide variety of schools". I talked with some admissions people and schools in the MVP range know they aren't HYS or even CCN but I'm sure they don't like rolling out the read carpet for some one and then being rejected. Just give them a good reason to believe you will attend and they'll likely bite.
Hmm. So they wouldn't be put off by my mentioning scholarship chances in the Why Mich thing? That seems kind of presumptuous to me - like, I'm applying here because you might give me more money! I guess it depends how you work it in.

Still, I'd definitely take full ride at Mich over full ride at CCN, and maybe over H. Y or S acceptances would make it very difficult to choose.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:50 pm

eit wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Thanks for posting that link. Do you think writing a very strong Why Michigan would help me avoid YP? I am actually insanely interested in Michigan so I wouldn't just be writing it to write it, I really really want to go there.

Also for that chart - is the first percentage amount who got accepted? I.E. NYU accepted 100% (33) applicants with my GPA/LSAT score and rejected none? Am I reading that right?
Yeah. NYU doesn't discriminate too much if you have the right stats (there are a couple of rejections if you include a search with a GPA over 4.0 though).

As for Michigan, I would think a strong Why Michigan would help, but I really have no clue how MVP decides things.
eit wrote:Still, I'd definitely take full ride at Mich over full ride at CCN, and maybe over H. Y or S acceptances would make it very difficult to choose.
If you managed to pull a hamilton at Columbia that would be a bold choice to choose Michigan.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:59 pm

As a Canadian citizen you can't take US govt loans right?
That would be brutal to get into Yale and have to take out 200k in private loan, non-forgiveable. It completely rules out public interest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:02 pm

Yeah, a Darrow vs. a Hamilton would be difficult. If it comes down between two very good scholarship offers and schools, I will probably end up visiting both to try to figure it out. I just am not sure NYC is the place for me - I live in a small town outside a smallish city.

CRITICAL FACTOR, though - is there a Barnes and Noble in Ann Arbor? YES THERE IS. Okay, that's one worry alleviated.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:03 pm

2014 wrote:As a Canadian citizen you can't take US govt loans right?
That would be brutal to get into Yale and have to take out 200k in private loan, non-forgiveable. It completely rules out public interest.
Yeah, the loans issue is huge. I'm not 100% on this as I haven't thoroughly researched yet (early lol), but I think some educational loans (not government but US educational loans) require a US co-signer which I might have, so it wouldn't have to be private, private, if that makes sense.

Plus, I think I would get some need-based aid, hopefully.

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:06 pm

2014 wrote:As a Canadian citizen you can't take US govt loans right?
Don't most LRAP's cover private loans as well?

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:06 pm

eit wrote:Yeah, a Darrow vs. a Hamilton would be difficult. If it comes down between two very good scholarship offers and schools, I will probably end up visiting both to try to figure it out. I just am not sure NYC is the place for me - I live in a small town outside a smallish city.

CRITICAL FACTOR, though - is there a Barnes and Noble in Ann Arbor? YES THERE IS. Okay, that's one worry alleviated.
If that's the problem, the logical solution is to visit. Keep an open mind. You may be surprised.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:09 pm

incompetentia wrote:
eit wrote:Yeah, a Darrow vs. a Hamilton would be difficult. If it comes down between two very good scholarship offers and schools, I will probably end up visiting both to try to figure it out. I just am not sure NYC is the place for me - I live in a small town outside a smallish city.

If that's the problem, the logical solution is to visit. Keep an open mind. You may be surprised.
Yeah, well, it's probably pretty useless to be speculating at this point anyways. I'm really loving UMich right now but I might change my mind again in the ages and ages I have to wait to apply and then the ages and ages I have to wait for a decision :).

And yes, I would visit if I got full rides from multiple schools. But only for multiple full rides or a full ride vs. HYS. Because I am poor.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:15 pm

eit wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
Richie Tenenbaum wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Hmm. So they wouldn't be put off by my mentioning scholarship chances in the Why Mich thing? That seems kind of presumptuous to me - like, I'm applying here because you might give me more money! I guess it depends how you work it in.

Still, I'd definitely take full ride at Mich over full ride at CCN, and maybe over H. Y or S acceptances would make it very difficult to choose.
Certainly depends how you work it in... maybe along these lines: "While as a Canadian citizen I am applying to a wide range of schools in hopes of a scholarship to make PI a viable option, Michigan law is certainly among my top choices."

Idk if you are actually interested in PI but I thought I read that on this topic. That way you actually make yourself seem humble in the sense that you acknowledge a scholly from Michigan and others in the top 10 isn't a guarantee.

Hedwig

Silver

Post by Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:24 pm

Thanks AreJay - Definitely a good suggestion that I will try to put in there. I'm going to be emphasizing my background a bit anyways (the small town/Michigan as a good fit kind of thing) so I can link to the Canadian citizenship thing a bit easier.

I wish you could be super flippant in your Why X essays. For example, I can think of a lovely way to start it off by discussing how Hogwarts was my dream school and why Michigan supersedes it and how if I got an offer of acceptance it would be like finally getting my owl.

But that probably wouldn't come off well. Haha. I might write it anyways before I write my serious one. Helpful for generating ideas.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”