Narrowing down application list!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Hedwig

Narrowing down application list!

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:25 am

Hey everyone! I'm trying to figure out where exactly I want to apply. I have time, but I want to get started on apps, especially if I'm putting together a lot of them. Numbers 4.0ish, 174.

Here's where I think I'm definitely applying:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Chicago
Columbia
UMichigan
Berkeley

Maybe:
NYU
UVA
UCLA

Thoughts on the maybes? Anywhere else that would like to give a scholarship to someone with my numbers?

I'd really like to apply as widely as possible to places likely to give me a full ride or a very nice scholarship.

Knock

Re: Narrowing down application list!

Postby Knock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:28 am

eit wrote:Hey everyone! I'm trying to figure out where exactly I want to apply. I have time, but I want to get started on apps, especially if I'm putting together a lot of them. Numbers 4.0ish, 174.

Here's where I think I'm definitely applying:

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Chicago
Columbia
UMichigan
Berkeley

Maybe:
NYU
UVA
UCLA

Thoughts on the maybes? Anywhere else that would like to give a scholarship to someone with my numbers?

I'd really like to apply as widely as possible to places likely to give me a full ride or a very nice scholarship.

Add the rest of the T-14 schools (you will get fee waivers from most if not all), and WUSTL, which is known for being generous with merit scholarship money, you will almost certainly get significant money from them.

So:
Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Chicago
Columbia
NYU
UMichigan
Berkeley
Pennsylvania
Virginia
Duke
Nothwestern (only if you get a fee waiver otherwise don't bother, since they strongly prefer work experience)

It probably isn't really worth for you to apply to Georgetown and Cornell, but if you get fee waivers you might as well.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:33 am

You might as well apply to every school in the top 15-18ish, save some schools you absolutely have zero interest in (for me, I want nothing to do with Cornell). You should have fee waivers to pretty much all of them, so why not, right? Especially if you're looking for full-rides, it would be interesting to see the highest ranked school that would give you a full-ride. You may want to apply to some lower schools in order to get that full-ride, I'm not sure what schools are in good position to do that with your numbers, but I imagine it's decently high. I hear you can leverage scholarships against other schools, so maybe you could do that!

You have a lot of options. Use ALL of them!

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:35 am

Starting apps a year early? You're a real trooper EIT! But seriously, the only schools where you wouldn't get merit $$$ are HYS. Apply to the entire T-14 and to any other schools you would seriously consider attending.

PS What happened to the gossip girl tar?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:40 am

It's my post-LSAT fervor. I'm sure it'll fade away eventually until I'm procrastinating the hell out of this stuff. Also, compared to applying for undergrad, the application process for law school is incredibly intense (my undergrad, I gave them personal info + grades and they were like: here, have a full ride), so this intimidates me a little haha.

I guess I need to go through and weed out schools I really don't think I'd want to attend and add any under T14's that I would seriously consider.

Also, is it okay to have a LOR written now? One of my profs is going on sabbatical next semester and I want to ask him but I kind of have to do it now.

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:41 am

The Gentleman wrote:PS What happened to the gossip girl tar?

It's gone.

Anyway:
Your list ends at Michigan, which I believe is still in the top 8. I think if you know that each of those schools will be a good environment for you, you don't need to apply to any more, since Mich is likely to throw scads of money at you to start.
However, if you feel interested in any others, you might as well apply. I think 12+ is a bit much, but up until that point extra apps come with generally minimal work.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:45 am

eit wrote:It's my post-LSAT fervor. I'm sure it'll fade away eventually until I'm procrastinating the hell out of this stuff. Also, compared to applying for undergrad, the application process for law school is incredibly intense (my undergrad, I gave them personal info + grades and they were like: here, have a full ride), so this intimidates me a little haha.

I guess I need to go through and weed out schools I really don't think I'd want to attend and add any under T14's that I would seriously consider.

Also, is it okay to have a LOR written now? One of my profs is going on sabbatical next semester and I want to ask him but I kind of have to do it now.

Yeah, feel free to have your LORs ready to go. Schools even recommend this for people who do things such as the peace corps right after undergrad. So yeah, feel free to have LORs written early.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:45 am

incompetentia wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:PS What happened to the gossip girl tar?

It's gone.

Anyway:
Your list ends at Michigan, which I believe is still in the top 8. I think if you know that each of those schools will be a good environment for you, you don't need to apply to any more, since Mich is likely to throw scads of money at you to start.
However, if you feel interested in any others, you might as well apply. I think 12+ is a bit much, but up until that point extra apps come with generally minimal work.

I was thinking of picking maybe a certain amount of applications to work very hard on and tailor specifically, and then have a more "default" application for schools that I'm not as interested in but still want to throw an application at. I also think 12+ is a lot, but if I do it like that with minimal tailoring, it might not be too arduous. Of course, not sure how well minimal tailoring would work out for me.

If Michigan throws scads of money at me, I will consider it my Harry Potter letter and life will be complete.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:45 am

Knock wrote:
eit wrote:It's my post-LSAT fervor. I'm sure it'll fade away eventually until I'm procrastinating the hell out of this stuff. Also, compared to applying for undergrad, the application process for law school is incredibly intense (my undergrad, I gave them personal info + grades and they were like: here, have a full ride), so this intimidates me a little haha.

Yeah, feel free to have your LORs ready to go. Schools even recommend this for people who do things such as the peace corps right after undergrad. So yeah, feel free to have LORs written early.

Thanks Knock.

I'm nervous to ask for a reference! Never done it before from a professor, actually.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:48 am

eit wrote:
Knock wrote:

Thanks Knock.

I'm nervous to ask for a reference! Never done it before from a professor, actually.

Don't be, they all had to when they were applying to Masters and PHD programs, and they expect to and consider it part of their job to write letters of recommendations for students. Although they are not required to write letters for everyone who ask anyways, but with your GPA i'm sure you have some professors who can vouch for your academic abilities.

ETA: I'd just start by talking to them and try and steer the conversation towards law school. That may be easier. But just straight explaining your situation and asking for a recommendation is perfectly acceptable as well.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:52 am

Knock wrote:
eit wrote:
Knock wrote:

Thanks Knock.

Don't be, they all had to when they were applying to Masters and PHD programs, and they expect to and consider it part of their job to write letters of recommendations for students. Although they are not required to write letters for everyone who ask anyways, but with your GPA i'm sure you have some professors who can vouch for your academic abilities.

ETA: I'd just start by talking to them and try and steer the conversation towards law school. That may be easier. But just straight explaining your situation and asking for a recommendation is perfectly acceptable as well.

The professor I'm asking right now knows I'm applying (I asked him to move a test to after the LSAT for me) and he called me a "top student" when I was asking him about moving the test, lol, so I'm hoping he still likes me after I keep going to see him in office hours for these stupid essays I have to write.

Anyways I guess I will just bring up law school and ask. I just realized that I think he may have gone to UMichigan. Interesting. Or taught there. Or something. Edit: He went to UMichigan for undergrad! It may be creepy to bring this up, though (it was on the department website lol).
Last edited by Hedwig on Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:54 am

Once you have all your stuff in order (PS, LOR, transcripts, LSAT), individual law school apps aren't that work intensive. Plus, I imagine you'll be getting tons of waivers. If I were you, I would apply all over the place (from Yale down to UCLA, probably).

incompetentia

Postby incompetentia » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:56 am

If you've talked with the professor enough one-on-one they're probably going to expect that you want a recommendation from them.

And yeah, starting with the general topic of law school is a good way to start. My one recommender actually offered before I had a chance to ask when I did this...

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 am

plenipotentiary wrote:Once you have all your stuff in order (PS, LOR, transcripts, LSAT), individual law school apps aren't that work intensive. Plus, I imagine you'll be getting tons of waivers. If I were you, I would apply all over the place (from Yale down to UCLA, probably).

Agreed. The actual applications aren't really too much work, and you don't really have to tailor much if you don't want to. I personally didn't tailor anything, except for things such as changing titles from "Diversity Statement" to "Essay Seven" for Michigan.

I am applying Yale down through UCLA (and USC) as well, and my numbers are quite a bit lower than yours, so I think this would work out great for you, especially since you will likely see tons of fee waivers.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:37 pm

Here's my application list, I think. Added Pennsylvania, UVA, and NYU. I think my want list is like Mich $$$ > Y/S > $$$ somewhere else right now. That changes all the time, though.

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Berkeley
Pennsylvania
Michigan
UVA
UCLA

If they give me a fee waiver, I'll think about it:
Duke
WUSTL
USC

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:04 pm

eit wrote:Here's my application list, I think. Added Pennsylvania, UVA, and NYU. I think my want list is like Mich $$$ > Y/S > $$$ somewhere else right now. That changes all the time, though.

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Berkeley
Pennsylvania
Michigan
UVA
UCLA

Duke
WUSTL
USC

List looks good. One suggestion: Consider adding NU. Their scholly strategy is to target a few applicants and offer full/close to full rides, as opposed to spreading the wealth. Even if you have no desire to attend NU, you can try to use this as a bargaining chip. Plus, they give most everyone with a high LSAT score a free hidden waiver.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 am

Thanks, I'll add NU if I get a fee waiver.

Postby 2014 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:56 am

You are sooo early :P
Getting your LORs together is a really good idea now, and maybe right your PS if you don't think your life will change much before Septembe, but other than that you can't do a whole lot other than think about it.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:58 am

Why do people make threads just to stroke their ego?

You should know you can apply and have a competitive chance at anywhere with those numbers. Did you really need to make this thread?

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:24 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Why do people make threads just to stroke their ego?

You should know you can apply and have a competitive chance at anywhere with those numbers. Did you really need to make this thread?

The idea wasn't to come up with places where I could likely get in. It was to get advice on how many/scholarship/what's a good amount to apply to, kind of thing. Sorry if that bothered you. I've been having trouble figuring it out and I find people on here have a lot more information about leveraging/scholarships/etc.

2014 wrote:You are sooo early :P
Getting your LORs together is a really good idea now, and maybe right your PS if you don't think your life will change much before Septembe, but other than that you can't do a whole lot other than think about it.

Yeah, this is true. I was hoping to have my list settled then I could try to sort of put it away and not think about it.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:28 am

Deja Vu. Thought we've already been over this. YHSCCNB and then the rest with fee waivers if you want.

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:31 am

Ragged wrote:Deja Vu. Thought we've already been over this. YHSCCNB and then the rest with fee waivers if you want.

My neuroticism demanded a new post to discuss this with a wider audience.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:33 am

eit wrote:Here's my application list, I think. Added Pennsylvania, UVA, and NYU. I think my want list is like Mich $$$ > Y/S > $$$ somewhere else right now. That changes all the time, though.

Yale
Harvard
Stanford
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Berkeley
Pennsylvania
Michigan
UVA
UCLA

Duke
WUSTL
USC

Eit, WUSTL and USC really? I'm looking at a scholy from WUSTL; you should not be. UVA and up is all you should even be considering applying to even with a fee waiver (unless your shooting for acceptances from all the top 14 just to make yourself feel good). I really liked Michigan and it was my favorite school even before my disappointing LSAT but idk if you can compare a full scholarship at Michigan with regular plain old admission to Yale, and that is from someone praying for Michigan.

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:38 am

eit wrote:
Ragged wrote:Deja Vu. Thought we've already been over this. YHSCCNB and then the rest with fee waivers if you want.

My neuroticism demanded a new post to discuss this with a wider audience.

Lol it looks like your neuroticism has paid off with those numbers :shock:. Congrats, and I'm sure it will pay off in the future. I would apply to all of the T14 because I'm sure you won't have to pay app fees for most. The only one I wouldn't apply to if I were you, is whatever school that creepy guy will be attending. You know that one who called you out in some ridiculous threads on this board.

Edit: I hope hes not in this thread lol :|

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:39 am

AreJay711 wrote:
Eit, WUSTL and USC really? I'm looking at a scholy from WUSTL, you should not be. UVA and up is all you should even be considering applying to even with a fee waiver (unless your shooting for acceptances from all the top 14 just to make yourself feel good). I really liked Michigan and it was my favorite school even before my disappointing LSAT but idk if you can compare a full scholarship at Michigan with regular plain old admission to Yale, and that is from someone praying for Michigan.

Ah, conflicting advice. Some people are saying WUSTL gives out good scholarships and I should apply for that. Other people like you are saying that's silly. And no, I'm kind of the person who's like "well, if I don't want to go there, why apply?" That's why I'm trying to figure out what kind/how many places I should apply to for maximum leverage but minimum "why the hell am I doing this" kind of thing.

If I get into one of HYS, I'm going to have to think and consider the financial aid packages obviously. I am not a US citizen so my options for loans are limited.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”