Job Termination Addendum: HELP ME

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pasnen22

Job Termination Addendum: HELP ME

Postby pasnen22 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:50 pm

This is a really rough draft. There were odd circumstances surrounding the first job. They never even told me I was fired. I recently called to find out and they still can't tell me if I was ever fired or not. Whatever. I'll err on the side of caution. Here it is:

In the summer of 2007, I was employed as a delivery driver for Coliseum Caterers in Uniondale, NY. Towards the end of the summer, I was told that the busy season was over and that I should call the following day to see if my help was needed. I followed this procedure for two days, receiving the same response that my help was not needed and to call back the following day both times. On the third day, I tried to contact the office several times over the phone, but nobody responded to my corresponding messages. The next day I received my paycheck in the mail. I respect their decision to part ways, as I was an at-will employee and my services were no longer necessary at the time.
In March of 2010, I was employed as a front desk associate at Planet Fitness, a gym in Hicksville, NY. After working for one week under probationary status, I was notified by management that my personality was not compatible with the desired atmosphere in the gym and that we would be parting ways. I respect the management’s opinion in the matter and understand the basis for the decision to search for a better fit for the position.

Patriot1208

Re: Job Termination Addendum: HELP ME

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:52 pm

The first one sounds like they thought you were just a temp and the second sounds like you were a bad employee.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:58 pm

pasnen22 wrote:This is a really rough draft. There were odd circumstances surrounding the first job. They never even told me I was fired. I recently called to find out and they still can't tell me if I was ever fired or not. Whatever. I'll err on the side of caution. Here it is:

In the summer of 2007, I was employed as a delivery driver for Coliseum Caterers in Uniondale, NY. Towards the end of the summer, I was told that the busy season was over and that I should call the following day to see if my help was needed. I followed this procedure for two days, receiving the same response that my help was not needed and to call back the following day both times. On the third day, I tried to contact the office several times over the phone, but nobody responded to my corresponding messages. The next day I received my paycheck in the mail. I respect their decision to part ways, as I was an at-will employee and my services were no longer necessary at the time.
In March of 2010, I was employed as a front desk associate at Planet Fitness, a gym in Hicksville, NY. After working for one week under probationary status, I was notified by management that my personality was not compatible with the desired atmosphere in the gym and that we would be parting ways. I respect the management’s opinion in the matter and understand the basis for the decision to search for a better fit for the position.

Did you taunt fat people or something?

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:06 pm

Do they require on the application that you tell them if you were ever fired?

pasnen22

Postby pasnen22 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:10 pm

Yes they require me to divulge this information.

To respond to the other post: The first job was a summer job, but it was my second summer there and they didn't get rid of a lot of the drivers around that time, so I'm pretty sure I got fired.

The second job: That literally was the reason I got for being fired. "You don't have a good personality." (Translation: You aren't overly fake nice.) Oh, and I leaned on the counter too much when interacting with customers. That's literally all.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:11 pm

What school requires an addendum for this??

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:11 pm

pasnen22 wrote:Yes they require me to divulge this information.

To respond to the other post: The first job was a summer job, but it was my second summer there and they didn't get rid of a lot of the drivers around that time, so I'm pretty sure I got fired.

The second job: That literally was the reason I got for being fired. "You don't have a good personality." (Translation: You aren't overly fake nice.) Oh, and I leaned on the counter too much when interacting with customers. That's literally all.

Sounds like an extremely douchy place to work.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:12 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
pasnen22 wrote:Yes they require me to divulge this information.

Sounds like an extremely douchy place to work.

I'm skeptical that's how it went down. Either OP isn't telling us something, or the club overextended itself financially and didn't want to say that.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:13 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:What school requires an addendum for this??

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:56 pm

Call the two companies and ask - you might not have been fired because:
first one sounds like a summer job, seasonal. Who cares of others stayed on.
Second one was probationary period, so might not have actually been a termination. Maybe it'll even go in their records as a temp job or something.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:00 pm

ahduth wrote:

luckyme

Postby luckyme » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:06 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:
ahduth wrote:

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:14 pm

I'm calling troll on OP

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:31 pm

first job was a temp job.

the second job- why even acknowledge that you worked there? its only 1 week? Unless you did something really out of the ordinary, and extraodrinarly stupid no one probably remembers you, or the fact that you worked there.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:28 am

pasnen22 wrote:This is a really rough draft. There were odd circumstances surrounding the first job. They never even told me I was fired. I recently called to find out and they still can't tell me if I was ever fired or not. Whatever. I'll err on the side of caution. Here it is:

Don't send this. If a school requires you to explain, just put "seasonal job" for the first one and don't even bother mentioning the second one on your resume or anywhere on the application

nrj1084

Postby nrj1084 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:44 pm

I highly doubt schools would care about where you worked in college, unless it was something exceptional. Just don't put the jobs on your resume.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:48 pm

luckyme wrote:
LSpleaseee wrote:
ahduth wrote:

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:57 pm

It really sounds like the second job was just a "try out" phase. . . sounds like it is different than most jobs in its methods for hiring. I'm not sure I would even include it. As for the first job. . .if they don't consider you fired, then you weren't fired.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:31 pm

Wtf yea isn't that supposed to be common sense? If you didn't fill out any "forms of employment", as they cqll them, than this shouldn't be an issue..

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:08 pm

URMdan wrote:I'm calling troll on OP

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:59 am

One of my applications (Akron) required the disclosure of any involuntary job separation and an explanation of each one. The question appears to include layoffs.

mst

Postby mst » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:21 am

capitalacq wrote:

Don't send this. If a school requires you to explain, just put "seasonal job" for the first one and don't even bother mentioning the second one on your resume or anywhere on the application

I second this.

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:48 pm

Yeah, I don't really think your experience as a "Gym greeter" will have any beneficial impact on your application, and I don't think it will be an issue on the bar either. (The only reason you'd leave it out if it you were concerned about inconsistencies in your bar application.) I've never seen a bar application that asks for specifics on work, other than legal employment, bonding or disciplinary actions.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”