when to apply if youre applying for reaches or safeties?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sangr

when to apply if youre applying for reaches or safeties?

Postby sangr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:56 pm

ok so i got my LSAT score back but im gonna have to retake.

However there are schools that are within my range with my current score and that i would likely go to.

So....isnt it better for me if i apply now and they check my app sooner (as opposed to in late dec or early jan when the scores come back) ?

so what would u do in this situation?

lifestooquick

Re: when to apply if youre applying for reaches or safeties?

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:58 pm

You can definitely apply to some with your current LSAT score if you want to. You just have to email them and tell them to go ahead and review your application and not wait for your pending LSAT score. However, you could also wait for a higher LSAT score if you want better scholarship offers from these schools.

The schools that you want to consider your Dec score should wait until they receive it to review your file.

sangr

Postby sangr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:02 pm

just wondering how would you go about this?

wouldnt they be like "wtf? is this kid planning to go to our school or not?" if i tell them to check my app but disregard the LSAT thats coming up

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:03 pm

sangr wrote:just wondering how would you go about this?

wouldnt they be like "wtf? is this kid planning to go to our school or not?" if i tell them to check my app but disregard the LSAT thats coming up

They may think that. I have heard of people going ahead and doing this though. I think it's just a risk you have to weigh when making the decision to ask them to disregard your pending LSAT.

Hopefully, someone who actually did this will be able to chime in on whether or not it affected their cycle.

northwood

Postby northwood » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:19 pm

send in your applications to schools you are confident in being accepted to with your current score. Wait for the test results for the other schools. As soon as you get the results ( if they want you to fill in your score on the application) fill it in and send it. If they dont want you to fill in the score, put the date of the test on the score report, determine if you are going to cancel or not ( hopefully you wont), then send in the application before you get your scores( assuming you dont cancel). that way they will have to get your score to make a decision, but you wont be sending everything in in january

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:30 pm

I did this for Duke in September before I took the October LSAT. I was accepted.

Also, there's a FAQ about how to do it.

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&t=131727

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:31 pm

northwood wrote:send in your applications to schools you are confident in being accepted to with your current score. Wait for the test results for the other schools. As soon as you get the results ( if they want you to fill in your score on the application) fill it in and send it. If they dont want you to fill in the score, put the date of the test on the score report, determine if you are going to cancel or not ( hopefully you wont), then send in the application before you get your scores( assuming you dont cancel). that way they will have to get your score to make a decision, but you wont be sending everything in in january

If you do this, as per the FAQ, tell the school not to wait. Otherwise they may not consider your app without the new score.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”