High School

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Philosopher1

High School

Postby Philosopher1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:37 pm

I'm curious about something. On the Common Information Form, there is a space for "Secondary School." I plan to give my high school ... there is also a GPA and Class Rank slot. I'd actually personally rather not give that info. Is it expected?? Or not a big deal to leave blank.

The college GPA, and it was a nice state university, was an (edit) with a solid major and minor. The high school gpa was (edit). What are all of you guys doing for secondary education? Thanks
Last edited by Philosopher1 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Re: High School

Postby gdane » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:38 pm

Dont waste your time.

College UG GPA and LSAT score matters.

High school stuff can stay out of your application.

Good luck!

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:39 pm

The common information form is just a tool for filling out the primary applications. Most schools won't ask you about your high school, and certainly won't ask about your HS GPA.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:03 pm

Didn't it also ask for secondary school 'major' and 'degree'? Um, I majored in "High School" and got a degree in "High School Diploma". :P

I filled it out (had to fax a transcript request to my HS, what a pain), but it doesn't show up on any schools' Primary Apps that I've seen.

neonx

Postby neonx » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Stanford asks for your H.S. rank. Just saying.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:54 pm

neonx wrote:Stanford asks for your H.S. rank. Just saying.

WUSTL also asks for high school attended and class rank...which is good for me, b/c I went to a very prestigious HS in St. Louis (and yes, it actually would matter a little bit to the Admissions Committee for WUSTL, believe it or not).

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:17 am

oshberg28 wrote:

WUSTL also asks for high school attended and class rank...which is good for me, b/c I went to a very prestigious HS in St. Louis (and yes, it actually would matter a little bit to the Admissions Committee for WUSTL, believe it or not).

lol at thinking high school has anything to do with an admissions decision (and particularly an admissions decision at WUSTL). I'm a native St. Louisan, and I can't imagine any of the high schools around here holding any influence in the process. LSN seems to back me up on this; get that score at or above the median or your fantastic high school education will have been for naught.

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

Hedwig

Postby Hedwig » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:20 am

What if you don't have a HS rank? I have no idea how I graduated relative to the rest of my class, although the government gave me distinction or whatever on my graduation certificate or something.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:45 pm

beachbum wrote:
oshberg28 wrote:

lol at thinking high school has anything to do with an admissions decision (and particularly an admissions decision at WUSTL). I'm a native St. Louisan, and I can't imagine any of the high schools around here holding any influence in the process. LSN seems to back me up on this; get that score at or above the median or your fantastic high school education will have been for naught.

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

I believe you're wrong, my friend. At any other law school (aside from SLU), no, the high school you attended definitely wouldn't matter. For a SLUH graduate, yes, it would definitely be a very small factor for the Adcoms at WUSTL and SLU...more so at SLU.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:48 pm

For high school to matter it would have to a school with a strong alumni network and the person making the decision would have to have been a graduate of your school. I know this has helped me in my job search in case I get straight rejection from everywhere. Still EXTREMELY marginal. If you went to a crappy school it could help explain poor first year grades or something so IDK if it is completely irrelevant if every other possible comparison is equal.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:50 pm

I don't know where you got that from, the Stanford app just asks for name and location of your HS. Ranks are only important for undergrad/grad, don't worry about it.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:07 pm

eit wrote:What if you don't have a HS rank? I have no idea how I graduated relative to the rest of my class, although the government gave me distinction or whatever on my graduation certificate or something.

it really doesn't matter. I left a lot of those things blank and it didn't hurt me. 100% about numbers. Or in your case, it is going to be numbers and your essays and what you've done. but I'd bet my 1/8 of a law degree that HYS decision is not going to have anything to do with your HS.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:15 pm

oshberg28 wrote:

Where does WUSTL ask for that? There's no mention of it on this year's app, anyway.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:55 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
oshberg28 wrote:

Where does WUSTL ask for that? There's no mention of it on this year's app, anyway.

Hm...maybe it wasn't WUSTL...it was one of ND, W&M, or GW - those are the ones I'm applying to and I remember the question being asked.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:57 pm

I went to Phillips Exeter Academy and was the valedictorian. I'm definitely listing it.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:02 pm

bdubs wrote:

I don't know where you got that from, the Stanford app just asks for name and location of your HS. Ranks are only important for undergrad/grad, don't worry about it.

I can imagine this giving you a very, very small bump if you're from one of the high schools in the Stanford area - I know it does for their UG.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:06 pm

applying to UG and law school are two very different beasts.

in UG, they look at your success in HS
in LS they look at your academic record in UG

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:08 pm

oshberg28 wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:
oshberg28 wrote:

Hm...maybe it wasn't WUSTL...it was on one of the applications that I am working on/filled out.

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:12 pm

northwood wrote:applying to UG and law school are two very different beasts.

I think that's the prevailing conventional wisdom, and for the vast vast majority of cases, it's true. But if you attended an elite high school in the region where you are applying and the law school has to make a decision between you and another applicant with near identical numbers/softs, IMO they will take into consideration the HS attended (if you let them know on the application/in your personal statement where you attended). How often will this happen?..probably once or twice for every school - so a non-factor for 99.99% of applicants, yes.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:37 pm

oshberg28 wrote:

I think that's the prevailing conventional wisdom, and for the vast vast majority of cases, it's true. But if you attended an elite high school in the region where you are applying and the law school has to make a decision between you and another applicant with near identical numbers/softs, IMO they will take into consideration the HS attended (if you let them know on the application/in your personal statement where you attended). How often will this happen?..probably once or twice for every school - so a non-factor for 99.99% of applicants, yes.

QFmost-irrelevant-post-ever

such a scenario is not going to happen. ever. either your auto admit, reject or a WL candidate. plus, your letters of recs and PS are going to be different from every other candidate, again rendering the hypo irrelevant. no two people are the same and no schools gives two shits about HS. HTH.

mnolen

Postby mnolen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:47 pm

thanks for that new and surprising info. I'm just saying that although I'm sure it's not anything they LOOK for, having gone to a "prestigious" hs in that area might make you stand out a little. Especially with places like Stanford, where the town is pretty small and all their kids probably go to those schools. *shrug*

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:50 pm

Hey guys, I went to a very selective middle school where I specialized in math, science, and social studies. I was very active in their gym and recess programs, including a leadership role as team captain during a kickball game. How much will this help my chances?

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:51 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Hey guys, I went to a very selective middle school where I specialized in math, science, and social studies. I was very active in their gym and recess programs, including a leadership role as team captain during a kickball game. How much will this help my chances?

What was your kickball batting average?

oshberg28

Postby oshberg28 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:52 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
oshberg28 wrote:

QFmost-irrelevant-post-ever

such a scenario is not going to happen. ever. either your auto admit, reject or a WL candidate. plus, your letters of recs and PS are going to be different from every other candidate, again rendering the hypo irrelevant. no two people are the same and no schools gives two shits about HS. HTH.

Ah, grasshopper.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:55 pm

it seems absolutely absurd to me, but some 2Ls insist HS quality helped them at OCI.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”