Retaking the LSAT to apply to Northeastern...?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
blahblah88

Retaking the LSAT to apply to Northeastern...?

Postby blahblah88 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:50 am

Hey all,

Like many others I am currently facing a dilemma in the app process. I live in Boston and need to stay in the area, which pretty much limits me to BU, BC, or Northeastern. I graduated from UCLA last year, my current stats are 2.74 (hugely regretting my immmaturity) and 164 LSAT. I realize I am basically out of luck for BU or BC even if I raised my LSAT to around 170 due to my GPA, so I am setting my sights on Northeastern. Currently, I could submit my application in time for Northeastern's Early Action application date of Nov. 15. I am wondering whether it would be worth my while to take the LSAT again - I think I would be able to raise it a few points, as high as 168, but then I would not be able to have my full app submitted until early January and from what I see on lawschoolpredictor, it may not be a huge benefit.

Anyone have advice on whether I would be better off applying with my stats now, early action, or retaking and trying to squeeze a few more points out of my LSAT?

Thanks!

blahblah88

Re: Retaking the LSAT to apply to Northeastern...?

Postby blahblah88 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:22 pm

anyone?

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:06 pm

Send your application in now, and be sure to mention the december lsat. they may not look at it until you take the exam

blahblah88

Postby blahblah88 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:21 am

^thanks for the reply. anyone else to support or oppose that? I'd rather not take the LSAT again unless it will make a difference...

Miranda 18

Postby Miranda 18 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:25 am

With that LSAT score I don't think you need to retake. You would be able to get in Northeastern and Suffolk with that LSAT score.

I used to live in Boston and love the area! Best of luck!

ItsMyTimeBoston

Postby ItsMyTimeBoston » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:50 am

blahblah88 wrote:Hey all,

Like many others I am currently facing a dilemma in the app process. I live in Boston and need to stay in the area, which pretty much limits me to BU, BC, or Northeastern. I graduated from UCLA last year, my current stats are 2.74 (hugely regretting my immmaturity) and 164 LSAT. I realize I am basically out of luck for BU or BC even if I raised my LSAT to around 170 due to my GPA, so I am setting my sights on Northeastern. Currently, I could submit my application in time for Northeastern's Early Action application date of Nov. 15. I am wondering whether it would be worth my while to take the LSAT again - I think I would be able to raise it a few points, as high as 168, but then I would not be able to have my full app submitted until early January and from what I see on lawschoolpredictor, it may not be a huge benefit.

Anyone have advice on whether I would be better off applying with my stats now, early action, or retaking and trying to squeeze a few more points out of my LSAT?

Thanks!

I live in Boston and work in the legal community. You do not need to retake for Northeastern, but you will want to have your application polished and apply EA. I assume you want to live in Boston after graduation? If so, I would recommend you apply to UConn - PT and FT.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:58 am

Taking a quick look at LSN, if you get a 172ish, you have a shot at BC/BU. I think a retake is worth a try (and by "try," I mean serious effort). It might make sense to until June to retake, so you can really study. If you want until next year or the year after to apply, you can get some work experience, and distance yourself from your undergraduate GPA.

blahblah88

Postby blahblah88 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 pm

Wow thanks for the influx of advice everyone! :)

I am actually planning to practice in California after graduation, I just need to be out here in Boston for the next few years. Not the ideal situation but I am hoping with some summer work back in Cali in between the school years it shouldn't be a huge hurdle. Any thoughts on this from what you all have seen?

I had been hoping for 170-ish on the LSAT and did study hard for 2 months, was pretty disappointed with my actual score. I would really prefer not to wait another year to apply, as I'm not sure it would be worth my while just for an uncertain chance at BU/BC and I'm not sure in the long run it will be huge difference. Am I wrong here?

Thanks again for the help!

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:27 pm

You are going to have a really hard time finding a legal job in CA coming from a poorly ranked regional school in Boston.

Two months is not a very long time to study for the LSAT.

4for44

Postby 4for44 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:30 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:You are going to have a really hard time finding a legal job in CA coming from a poorly ranked regional school in Boston.

Two months is not a very long time to study for the LSAT.

+1

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”