Tier 4 with money, or Tier 3 with debt?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whymeohgodno

Re: Tier 4 with money, or Tier 3 with debt?

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:49 pm

overyourhead wrote:At either school, I would very likely be at the top of my class. But I would forever regret graduating with a JD from Tier 4 School, even if that degree came with zero debt. (I live in the area where both schools are located, so living expenses won't be an issue) So for me, it's a matter of determining whether the debt from the first school is worth it.

Quoted for FAILURE.

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:09 pm

overyourhead wrote:At either school, I would very likely be at the top of my class.

Not true at all.

maine08080

Postby maine08080 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:44 pm

elegally wrote:I have already applied to Hawaii (part time), Maine, and Stetson. I'm thinking about William Mitchell, Gonzaga, Mercer, and USC. I really don't like what I'm seeing in T3 and T4 so anyone else I add to the list is going to be painful. But I need to go.

I'm glad you put Maine in there! Even though your LSAT is their 25, I think that your GPA and work experience could get you in. Of course you don't have to worry about staying in Maine afterward because of your guaranteed employment (Out of state, right?), although Maine is beautiful.

Best of luck!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:02 pm

paratactical wrote:
elegally wrote:btw, I wont be accruing any debt for living costs, I have already lined up income.

You are only allowed to work so many hours a week during 1L.

overyourhead wrote:At either school, I would very likely be at the top of my class. But I would forever regret graduating with a JD from Tier 4 School, even if that degree came with zero debt.

QFmocking you later when you fail.

You aren't allowed (or should I say supposed) to work at all as a full time 1L. As a full time 2 or 3L the ABA says you shouldn't work more than 20 hours a week.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:27 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
paratactical wrote:
elegally wrote:btw, I wont be accruing any debt for living costs, I have already lined up income.

overyourhead wrote:At either school, I would very likely be at the top of my class. But I would forever regret graduating with a JD from Tier 4 School, even if that degree came with zero debt.

You aren't allowed (or should I say supposed) to work at all as a full time 1L. As a full time 2 or 3L the ABA says you shouldn't work more than 20 hours a week.

This isn't true. 1Ls can work, but I think the hours are limited to 10 per week.

Edit: Your school may have a prohibition for 1Ls, but there is no blanket prohibition that pertains to all schools. At UT, I was allowed to work as a 1L.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:31 pm

beachbum wrote:
overyourhead wrote:At either school, I would very likely be at the top of my class.

lol

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:30 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
paratactical wrote:

This isn't true. 1Ls can work, but I think the hours are limited to 10 per week.

Edit: Your school may have a prohibition for 1Ls, but there is no blanket prohibition that pertains to all schools. At UT, I was allowed to work as a 1L.

You're right...it's a school specific thing. My school doesn't "allow" 1L's to work.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”