Tier 4 with money, or Tier 3 with debt?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
elegally

Tier 4 with money, or Tier 3 with debt?

Postby elegally » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:24 am

Ok, I scored 152, my GPA is a 3.44, but my work experience is highly relevant considering my parents own a law firm, and I have worked in other firms during college as well.

About a week ago, I stopped kidding myself and realized that even Tier 2 was out of reach. However, now I am looking at T3 and T4. I'm pretty sure I could get money at a few T4 schools (maybe) but I know T3 is not looking good.

If you were me, and your high score was as low as mine, what would be your advice. T3 or T4? Please don't say retake because I don't want to. I don't have time to study because I'm working 60 hours a week.

Any feedback welcome. Please don't be a douche.

osalinas44

Re: Tier 4 with money, or Tier 3 with debt?

Postby osalinas44 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:27 am

elegally wrote:Ok, I scored 152, my GPA is a 3.44, but my work experience is highly relevant considering my parents own a law firm, and I have worked in other firms during college as well.

About a week ago, I stopped kidding myself and realized that even Tier 2 was out of reach. However, now I am looking at T3 and T4. I'm pretty sure I could get money at a few T4 schools (maybe) but I know T3 is not looking good.

If you were me, and your high score was as low as mine, what would be your advice. T3 or T4? Please don't say retake because I don't want to. I don't have time to study because I'm working 60 hours a week.

Which schools are you thinking about???

reasonable_man

Postby reasonable_man » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:28 am

elegally wrote:Ok, I scored 152, my GPA is a 3.44, but my work experience is highly relevant considering my parents own a law firm, and I have worked in other firms during college as well.

You're not getting any substantial money from a T4 with a 152. You're getting in and possibly getting a small amount of money, only because your GPA is good by the TTTT standard. In any event, assuming Mommy and Daddy will employ you after you graduate, go have a blast for 3 years.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 am

Neither

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 am

whymeohgodno wrote:Neither

elegally

Postby elegally » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:32 am

osalinas44 wrote:

I have already applied to Hawaii (part time), Maine, and Stetson. I'm thinking about William Mitchell, Gonzaga, Mercer, and USC. I really don't like what I'm seeing in T3 and T4 so anyone else I add to the list is going to be painful. But I need to go.

Cmoss

Postby Cmoss » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:33 am

did you plug your numbers into the LSAC search?

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:35 am

Seriously? Retake.

osalinas44

Postby osalinas44 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:44 am

elegally wrote:
osalinas44 wrote:

I have already applied to Hawaii (part time), Maine, and Stetson. I'm thinking about William Mitchell, Gonzaga, Mercer, and USC. I really don't like what I'm seeing in T3 and T4 so anyone else I add to the list is going to be painful. But I need to go.

Go have a blast in Hawaii!!!

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:46 am

reasonable_man wrote:

You're not getting any substantial money from a T4 with a 152. You're getting in and possibly getting a small amount of money, only because your GPA is good by the TTTT standard. In any event, assuming Mommy and Daddy will employ you after you graduate, go have a blast for 3 years.

If your parents will employ you, go where ever you will enjoy going and try to minimize debt.

M.M.

Postby M.M. » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:27 am

Retake

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:31 am

JazzOne wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:Neither

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:04 pm

elegally wrote:I have already applied to Hawaii (part time), Maine, and Stetson. I'm thinking about William Mitchell, Gonzaga, Mercer, and USC. I really don't like what I'm seeing in T3 and T4 so anyone else I add to the list is going to be painful. But I need to go.

That's asinine. No you don't.

Maven

Postby Maven » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Unless you are a resident, you will not get into Hawaii with those numbers.

MichaelB123

Postby MichaelB123 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:25 pm

Lol. I always think it's fuckin halarious when motherfuckers ask fuckin questions like this and expect other motherfuckers not to say retake. Fuckin stupid. That's all TLS will ever fuckin say when you have a score that fuckin low. So, re-fuckin-take.

albanach

Postby albanach » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:32 pm

Plenty of folk here have taken the LSAT while working long hours. 60 hours a week isn't bad. Are your weekends free? If not then you have free hours on other days.

Sure it might hamper your social life, but you need to decide if you really want to go to law school.

I'm presuming you didn't ace the LG section. It's learnable. Why not get all the logic games and work on them between now and Feb or June if you can delay a year. Get that score up and your life will be a lot easier.

Remember, even if you get a free ride - you're still going to be looking at $50k+ in living costs.

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Doods, this guy has a guaranteed job waiting for him. It doesnt matter where he goes, and he doesnt need to retake.

OP: go wherever you get the most money, or if you don't mind debt, anywhere you will have the most fun

then

1. Party for 3 years, but pay attention in LRW
2. Take BarBri
3. Pass Barzam
4. Walk into Guaranteed Job
5. Profit

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Fri Nov 05, 2010 12:48 pm

Oban wrote:1. Party for 3 years, but pay attention in LRW
2. Take BarBri
3. Pass Barzam
4. Walk into Guaranteed Job
5. ???
6. Profit

FTFY

elegally

Postby elegally » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:08 pm

MichaelB123 wrote:Lol. I always think it's fuckin halarious when motherfuckers ask fuckin questions like this and expect other motherfuckers not to say retake. Fuckin stupid. That's all TLS will ever fuckin say when you have a score that fuckin low. So, re-fuckin-take.

You're pretty articulate.

elegally

Postby elegally » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 pm

albanach wrote:Plenty of folk here have taken the LSAT while working long hours. 60 hours a week isn't bad. Are your weekends free? If not then you have free hours on other days.

Sure it might hamper your social life, but you need to decide if you really want to go to law school.

I'm presuming you didn't ace the LG section. It's learnable. Why not get all the logic games and work on them between now and Feb or June if you can delay a year. Get that score up and your life will be a lot easier.

Remember, even if you get a free ride - you're still going to be looking at $50k+ in living costs.

You're right, working that much is not an excuse. Oh well, thanks for the advice. btw, I wont be accruing any debt for living costs, I have already lined up income.

overyourhead

Postby overyourhead » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:52 pm

I am in a somewhat similar predicament, although my numbers are significantly higher.

One school -- the school I've always wanted to go to -- ranks somewhere between 50-60. I will get it, but I doubt I will get substantial $$.

The other school is a Tier 4 offering me a full ride. It's near the above school, so as far as job competition goes, these students are competing with the above regional school which holds a MUCH better reputation.

At either school, I would very likely be at the top of my class. But I would forever regret graduating with a JD from Tier 4 School, even if that degree came with zero debt. (I live in the area where both schools are located, so living expenses won't be an issue) So for me, it's a matter of determining whether the debt from the first school is worth it.

In your situation, if you are deadset on not retaking the LSAT, then I would go with whatever school offers you the most money. You have an advantage with your family having a firm, so presumably you will always have that to lean on for a job. Honestly, how important is it that you apply this cycle / begin LS next fall? You could be facing much better options if you delayed until next cycle, continuing to work and gain experience, and study for the LSAT slowly and less-intensively over however many months.

ETA-- I agree it's unlikely you will receive substantial money from a tier 4. How far are you above their 75th percentile numbers? In my case, the tier 4 is offering me a full ride because my highest LSAT score is 16 pts above their 75th.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:28 pm

overyourhead wrote:At either school, I would very likely be at the top of my class.

lolwut?

Also, retake. A Tier 4 with zero debt is still a waste of three years in exchange for a worthless degree. A regional Tier 2 at sticker price is a fast track to financial ruin.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:34 pm

elegally wrote:btw, I wont be accruing any debt for living costs, I have already lined up income.

You are only allowed to work so many hours a week during 1L.

overyourhead wrote:At either school, I would very likely be at the top of my class. But I would forever regret graduating with a JD from Tier 4 School, even if that degree came with zero debt.

QFmocking you later when you fail.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:32 pm

overyourhead wrote:At either school, I would very likely be at the top of my class.

Well, in that case, take the debt!
Last edited by JazzOne on Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

reverendt

Postby reverendt » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:39 pm

Normally I would join the chorus that say's "neither" but I get the impression you need a law degree so you can get into the family business.
That puts you in a much better spot than most of us.
If money's a concern, go to the school that's cheapest. If it's not....go where you like.

Overyourhead....why would you likely be at the top of your class?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”