George Washington Early Decision/Presidential Scholarship

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
djeter2

George Washington Early Decision/Presidential Scholarship

Postby djeter2 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:48 am

Hey Everyone,

I am considering applying for GW Law's binding-early decision program. If you are accepted through this ED process, you are guaranteed a full-tuition scholarship. I have a 3.98 GPA and a 170 LSAT score so I imagine I would be very competitive for this program. I am planning on going into public interest law, so the costs of law school are obviously a huge factor in my decision. On the other hand, I am afraid that I might get accepted into this program and then get a sizable scholarship from UVA, Gtown, Duke, etc. What do you guys think? Has anyone with similar or better numbers applied to this program? Thanks!

sundance95

Re: George Washington Early Decision/Presidential Scholarship

Postby sundance95 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:02 am

djeter2 wrote:Hey Everyone,

I am considering applying for GW Law's binding-early decision program. If you are accepted through this ED process, you are guaranteed a full-tuition scholarship. I have a 3.98 GPA and a 170 LSAT score so I imagine I would be very competitive for this program. I am planning on going into public interest law, so the costs of law school are obviously a huge factor in my decision. On the other hand, I am afraid that I might get accepted into this program and then get a sizable scholarship from UVA, Gtown, Duke, etc. What do you guys think? Has anyone with similar or better numbers applied to this program? Thanks!

Use LSN's search function, you can pull all reported numbers and search only those who listed their apps as ED.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=law+school+numbers&l=1

djeter2

Postby djeter2 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:10 am

sundance95 wrote:

Use LSN's search function, you can pull all reported numbers and search only those who listed their apps as ED.

Thank you very much! I did not know I could search by application type. This was extremely useful but also scary... the first file I pulled up with almost the exact same numbers as mine got the full-tuition scholarship but also had to turn down $30,000/year at UVA. Yikes. I'll have to do some soul searching. Thanks again for letting my know I could search by ED!

sundance95

Postby sundance95 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:13 am

No problem, it's a real cool feature that I didn't discover until after submitting my ED app, haha.

trudat15

RMe: George Washington Early Decision/Presidential Scholarsh

Postby trudat15 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:12 am

I imagine you'd be turning down $$ from other schools, but if you're positive on GW, go for it (I personally would play the field - you might get money from the lower t14 - plus whatever you did have to borrow, a lot of schools have generous LRAP programs)

EDIT: I did a quick search on your numbers (168-171 and 3.90-4.33) last cycle -

UVA - http://uva.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... =1&type=jd

Penn - http://penn.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... =1&type=jd

Mich - http://michigan.lawschoolnumbers.com/ap ... =1&type=jd

$$ everywhere. I'm sure if you searched Georgetown, Cornell, Duke or NW you might see other $$ offers.

Postby 2014 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:59 am

If you go to a t14 and take a public interest job, you almost will assuredly qualify for debt forgiveness after 10 years, and loan repayment assistance until you get there. I agree it is usually better to avoid debt if you can, but in your case you are going to leave a good deal of money on the table from very good schools.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:31 am

sundance95 wrote:No problem, it's a real cool feature that I didn't discover until after submitting my ED app, haha.

Damnit...Me too.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:09 pm

2014 wrote:If you go to a t14 and take a public interest job, you almost will assuredly qualify for debt forgiveness after 10 years, and loan repayment assistance until you get there. I agree it is usually better to avoid debt if you can, but in your case you are going to leave a good deal of money on the table from very good schools.

Hey 2014. Do you know how Debt Forgiveness works? I was looking at Chicago's LRAP program, and it's only for $10,000/year for 7 years max.
Do they forgive the rest if you stick out the rest of the three?
Last edited by trudat15 on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:33 pm

you would almost certainly get 40-60k from Duke

schrizto

Postby schrizto » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:52 pm

djeter2 wrote:
sundance95 wrote:

Thank you very much! I did not know I could search by application type. This was extremely useful but also scary... the first file I pulled up with almost the exact same numbers as mine got the full-tuition scholarship but also had to turn down $30,000/year at UVA. Yikes. I'll have to do some soul searching. Thanks again for letting my know I could search by ED!

Lol, one of the very few times someone responds positively to a link of lmgtfy.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”