Retake the LSAT after gaining admissions?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Lovely Ludwig Van

Retake the LSAT after gaining admissions?

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:46 pm

Has anyone here ever tried retaking the LSAT after gaining admissions into a law school in order to try to get into a higher ranked law school (i.e. get into school A, and then retake to get better shot at getting into school B)? Has any school ever withdrawn their offer of admission or lower their scholarship offer upon finding out that an accepted applicant either: 1) got a slightly lower LSAT score on their second try (2-3 points max), or 2) simply retook and wanted to get into a higher ranked school?

While I can't say that I have much to complain about, I feel that my stats put me just outside the threshold of the really top tier schools, and I strongly believe that I have the LSAT completely figured out now. Problem is I wouldn't want to risk an admission offer going after a wild goose chase, when I don't exactly have it all that bad as it is.

Opinions?

burtonrideclub

Re: Retake the LSAT after gaining admissions?

Postby burtonrideclub » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:00 pm

Retake, I took it for the 4th time just for the hell of it while I was wait listed at a few schools, went up 5 points and got in instantly to both. This was June, less than 3 months before I was supposed to enroll also.

Only retake though if you know you can do better and are willing to work at it. If you have never pt'd at 170 plus and got a 165, but need a 170. There probably is no point.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:05 pm

burtonrideclub wrote:Retake, I took it for the 4th time just for the hell of it while I was wait listed at a few schools, went up 5 points and got in instantly to both. This was June, less than 3 months before I was supposed to enroll also.

Only retake though if you know you can do better and are willing to work at it. If you have never pt'd at 170 plus and got a 165, but need a 170. There probably is no point.

Yes, I'm definitely willing to work for it, wouldn't even consider the pain and anguish of doing so unless I knew I were going all in. I'm just worried that, God forbid, I drop a point or two, or even if the schools I've been accepted to simply find out, I could lose out on scholarship money or even get rescinded.

Anyone else have experience with this?

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:08 pm

I would retake, you are in purgatory. And wasting your gpa.

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:12 pm

sophia.olive wrote:I would retake, you are in purgatory. And wasting your gpa.

So it ain't any risk to my offers of admission, right (assuming I will have a few by then)? If not, then I am definitely down.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 pm

Though I havent done it (obviously since I'm in this cycle) I have heard people doing this in Feb. Feb LSAT seems to exist for people wanting to get off WL or increase scholly money. As long as you're not binding at School A, you can withdraw even after you send in a seat deposit if you get in somewhere else you would rather be.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Getting into school A and taking it again to get into school B will NOT affect school A.
They won't rescind because you dropped 2, or even 5 points. They only report the highest score so it wouldn't reaally matter to them (after they already accepted you.)

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:32 pm

JJDancer wrote:Getting into school A and taking it again to get into school B will NOT affect school A.
They won't rescind because you dropped 2, or even 5 points. They only report the highest score so it wouldn't reaally matter to them (after they already accepted you.)

That sounds really REALLY cool. But pardon me for being a cynic, where can that be verified?

sophia.olive

Postby sophia.olive » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:39 pm

Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:
JJDancer wrote:Getting into school A and taking it again to get into school B will NOT affect school A.

That sounds really REALLY cool. But pardon me for being a cynic, where can that be verified?

common sense

Lovely Ludwig Van

Postby Lovely Ludwig Van » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:43 pm

sophia.olive wrote:
Lovely Ludwig Van wrote:

common sense

Right, but doesn't LSAC update the law schools whenever you get a new LSAT score?

http://www.top-law-schools.com/archives ... =7&t=48768 (5th post down)

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 pm

Maybe you should call schools you are interested in and ask them. Not about the other schools obviously, but that you want to take it again to see if you can negotiate a higher scholarship offer. You might not even have to tell them who you are.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”