adding "Why Michigan" for ED school redudant?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hyper heart

adding "Why Michigan" for ED school redudant?

Postby hyper heart » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:28 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on Michigan ED but am really conflicted about attaching a "Why Michigan" essay or not. I'm a very borderline candidate for getting in, and my reasons for applying to Mich are the usual deal (job prospects, great faculty, etc.). Conventional TLS wisdom says not to add an essay if you're ED'ing with unspectacular reasons for picking the school. Does this notion hold for Michigan, a school that seems to strongly value the essay? I'm stumped on what to do.

tamlyric

Re: adding "Why Michigan" for ED school redudant?

Postby tamlyric » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Look at Michigan's profile in TLS. Pretty sure this topic gets discussed.

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:32 pm

not sure what everyone else will say, but if I were u, i would def write the essay anyway. i dont think "why x" essays r as significant if u have the ED at that school, but especially considering that you r bordernline and everything, i can't see how it would hurt spending a bit of time to write something decent for them.

you probably don't need to amaze the admissions council with your reasons to choose michigan, just b honest and straigtforward; do a lil research on specifics about mich and their programs (which im guessin u already have) and just refer to those, and that should b good enough.

vicuna

Postby vicuna » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:34 pm

If you're borderline, come up with more unique reasons for wanting Michigan and send in the essay as soon as possible.

treeborn

Postby treeborn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:35 pm

I'm about to submit ED for Michigan, and posted this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=136190

People thought that it was more useful to submit a "Why Me" rather than a "Why X" essay.

Michigan's Supplemental Essay One asks why you think the law school is good for you, and why you think you are good for the law school. That both combines the "Why X" and "Why Me" essay. I wrote the essay that way, and I think it's only going to help, not hurt.

Good luck with your apps!

hyper heart

Postby hyper heart » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:36 pm

tamlyric wrote:Look at Michigan's profile in TLS. Pretty sure this topic gets discussed.

Right, it does mention that the essay is strongly encouraged, but I was wondering if that wisdom holds specifically for ED situations. To paraphrase others on the site, an ED app is essentially the strongest "Why Mich?" essay you could write.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Michigan, like ND, has some very very passionate alumni. They want students who will be passionate and continue to participate in the community and give once they make some money.
A Why Michigan will help you, if it is good.
If you have UofM alumni in your family, make SURE they know that.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”