resume questions

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
deejayy

resume questions

Postby deejayy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:05 pm

So much of my undergraduate career was spent on extracurricular activities, mostly centering around church and fellowships. Much of my time was spent mentoring younger kids and helping out at various related activities. Unfortunately, my work experience is consequently a bit lacking, with most of it being summer work at my family's restaurant. Is it weird to have an extra long "extracurricular activities" section with a relatively short education/work section?

I plan to focus at least 1 essay (either personal statement or optional essay) on my extracurricular activities since it was such a focus for me. But I also don't want to seem like an INTENSELY religious person or anything because I'm not like that at all. Worried...

Would it hurt my chances at T-14 schools? (3.53/169)

Thanks!

digitalcntrl

Re: resume questions

Postby digitalcntrl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:24 pm

deejayy wrote:So much of my undergraduate career was spent on extracurricular activities, mostly centering around church and fellowships. Much of my time was spent mentoring younger kids and helping out at various related activities. Unfortunately, my work experience is consequently a bit lacking, with most of it being summer work at my family's restaurant. Is it weird to have an extra long "extracurricular activities" section with a relatively short education/work section?

I plan to focus at least 1 essay (either personal statement or optional essay) on my extracurricular activities since it was such a focus for me. But I also don't want to seem like an INTENSELY religious person or anything because I'm not like that at all. Worried...

Thanks!

A bit overdone. Extracurriculars generally will not give a significant boost unless you did something extraordinary. Work experience typically will not give you a significant boost either unless it is something unique. Just put what you can. It is mainly your numbers that count.

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:31 pm

deejayy wrote:So much of my undergraduate career was spent on extracurricular activities, mostly centering around church and fellowships. Much of my time was spent mentoring younger kids and helping out at various related activities. Unfortunately, my work experience is consequently a bit lacking, with most of it being summer work at my family's restaurant. Is it weird to have an extra long "extracurricular activities" section with a relatively short education/work section?

Thanks!

If you're worried it looks unbalanced- use different categories! Aka, an education section, probably an honors section, then a leadership section- this can encompass both extracurriculars and work.

deejayy

Postby deejayy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:05 pm

My main problem is that I don't have any honors to go into an honors section (made Dean's list one quarter).
However, a "leadership experience" section does seem like a good idea rather than simply "extracurricular activities"...sounds better.

I should have tried harder in terms of grades...
Any other advice on how to pad a resume weak in internships/academic honors?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”