Redacted Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Curry

Redacted

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:47 pm

Last edited by Curry on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: How good a soft is multiple performances at Carnegie Hall?

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:48 pm

NYU would be a better use of ED.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:50 pm

so its not that strong of a soft?

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:51 pm

If you're a one-time test taker i vote NYU as well. They average your LSAT(s).

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:52 pm

Last edited by Curry on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:53 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:so its not that strong of a soft?
Not really. Strong soft=Curing cancer, olympic medal, medal of honor, president's son, your daddy donated a library wing...

LockBox

Bronze

Post by LockBox » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:53 pm

I have a similar background although I used to play the clarinet. I want to write about my experience with music too. I'd love to take a look at your PS or bounce ideas around with you if you have any. Good luck.

rundoxierun

Gold

Post by rundoxierun » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:55 pm

Not a strong soft at all I would think.. My gf is a music major so I know a bunch of music types. The worst percussionist in her performance program (so bad, teachers have recommended she leave the program) has played in Carnegie Hall. Nice thing to maybe fit in your PS as a unique experience but I doubt its a super soft.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:00 pm

I think it's an pretty interesting soft--more intriguing than the average law student's and something adcoms might find interesting to read about--but i don't think itll be your meal ticket in anywhere. your lsat score on the other hand...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:00 pm

Last edited by Curry on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:07 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote:Yup. One time test taker.

What if I get my GPA up to Columbia's 25th percentile? I'm applying next cycle. LSAT is 173.

Any response to this? Is it worth ED to Columbia then? Or should I keep the ED to NYU?
I assume you prefer Columbia and in that case I'd say ED there regardless of whether you make it over their 25th. Is it the prudent thing to do? Probably not. Your chances at NYU are definitely better. Aaaaand Ive probably failed in helping you.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:08 pm

nematoad wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote:

What if I get my GPA up to Columbia's 25th percentile? I'm applying next cycle. LSAT is 173.

Any response to this? Is it worth ED to Columbia then? Or should I keep the ED to NYU?
I assume you prefer Columbia and in that case I'd say ED there regardless of whether you make it over their 25th. Is it the prudent thing to do? Probably not. Your chances at NYU are definitely better. Aaaaand Ive probably failed in helping you.

Haha only slightly :P

I'm just deathly afraid of being shut out of CCN and I don't have much of a yearning to go to chicago. Columbia and NYU are almost equal for me. I might maybe just a tad prefer Columbia but I don't want to apply there if it risks getting shut out.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:12 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:
nematoad wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote:

Haha only slightly :P

I'm just deathly afraid of being shut out of CCN and I don't have much of a yearning to go to chicago. Columbia and NYU are almost equal for me. I might maybe just a tad prefer Columbia but I don't want to apply there if it risks getting shut out.
if they're almost equal then i say you gotta go with where you have the best shot.. Greenwich Village is very pretty in the winter.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:17 pm

This process is terrible. Its 9 months before when I start applying and I'm still worrying about it.... that and I need to find a job for this summer.

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:21 pm

nematoad wrote: if they're almost equal then i say you gotta go with where you have the best shot.. Greenwich Village is very pretty in the winter.
If you're happy with both schools, why not apply ED to them both?

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:24 pm

Because you can only apply ED to one school? By the time the first school's decision comes out, it will be too late to apply to the other one.

trudat15

Silver

Post by trudat15 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:26 pm

albanach wrote:
nematoad wrote: if they're almost equal then i say you gotta go with where you have the best shot.. Greenwich Village is very pretty in the winter.
If you're happy with both schools, why not apply ED to them both?
Hope you're joking.

OP - you have 10 months to decide where to ED. Plenty of time. Just get your GPA up this year and see where you are when final numbers are at and after you visit both (if you can).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:28 pm

curryinaninstant wrote:This process is terrible. Its 9 months before when I start applying and I'm still worrying about it.... that and I need to find a job for this summer.
it's better than the waiting process. status checkers have become a part of my daily routine :cry: .

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:42 pm

nematoad wrote:
curryinaninstant wrote:This process is terrible. Its 9 months before when I start applying and I'm still worrying about it.... that and I need to find a job for this summer.
it's better than the waiting process. status checkers have become a part of my daily routine :cry: .
Where are you applying? I'm sure you got in; you seem bright.

nematoad

Bronze

Post by nematoad » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:00 pm

If only seeming bright added 4 more points to my LSAT. wah wah. I applied from Berkeley to Fordham and about 12 schools in between. Got into to Fordham so far and so that's nice... I'm just hoping it gets nicer :lol:

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:07 pm

trudat15 wrote:
Hope you're joking.
I wasn't really - I see that they both hold off on decisions until December which is unfortunate for the OP. I was thinking along the lines of some other T14 schools that give a decision inside a timescale that would allow you to ED at more than one school.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:07 pm

I'm not sure that it is a great soft. However, I think it might be a great thing to either write your whole PS about, or just a portion of it. It is a very intriguing, unique, and prestigious honor. You should try to use this to your advantage in some way.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:13 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:I'm not sure that it is a great soft. However, I think it might be a great thing to either write your whole PS about, or just a portion of it. It is a very intriguing, unique, and prestigious honor. You should try to use this to your advantage in some way.
Thats what I figured. I'm trying to figure out how to write about it, seeing as it happened quite a while back. I think I'm going to open with the performance. Talk about an injury that happened after it and how I've struggled to get back to playing form and tie that into law - how detail oriented music is and how learning each and every detail parallels at least to some extent the attention to detail that law requires.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:16 pm

I suspect this would be a fairly strong soft for you, but the problem with softs are that they really only act as tiebreakers; they have to already like you based on your numbers enough that a "soft" would help them pick you over someone else. Not only that, but lots and lots of people with "strong softs" are applying to the top law schools. So while this might be strong I don't think it's stronger than a lot of the other applicants they're probably getting. Your PS might help it stand out more, though; a lot will just depend on how well-written your PS is.

The good news is you have a strong LSAT score, so that works in your favor. If I'm reading this right your LSAT should be just above median for Columbia, so I don't see an ED there being unreasonable. It's a longer shot than NYU, but I think you might get into NYU RD. If you're willing to gamble at all, I'd ED Columbia. If you really, really want to make sure you're attending one of these schools next fall and want the safe choice, I'd ED to NYU.

Curry

Post by Curry » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:18 pm

Last edited by Curry on Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”