Will my misdemeanor severly hurt my chances at law school

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
soscaredimscrewed

Will my misdemeanor severly hurt my chances at law school

Postby soscaredimscrewed » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:55 pm

24 hours ago my home was raided by the police on an account of a drug bust for cannabis. The cops mistakenly thought we were selling large quantities out of the house when realistically none of us were (we smoke recreationally). The search warrant specifically noted one of my roommates as the sole suspect of the dealings. To make a long story short, the police found very little and the three of us were given a written arrest with the same charges of:

1) Possession of under 20 grams
2) Possession of paraphernalia
3) Maintaining a drug house (ALL OF THESE MISDEMEANORS)

On what is nearly the eve of law school applications opening up, I am terrified of how this is going to adversely affect my chances. I just found out my LSAT score (158) and am happy with it and have a 3.6 GPA. I want to apply to the University of Miami and the University of Florida for law school. I’m obviously getting an attorney and am going to work on getting whatever I can dismissed/dropped.

My questions are as follows:
how badly is this going to affect my chances for law school?
should I retake the LSAT to bolster my chances?

I know I’m going to have to mention this on my application and I also have a strong feeling I’m going to have to deal with this again when applying to the bar. I’m very upset that after a lifetime of a clean record this comes a month before I’m about to send out my applications.

whymeohgodno

Re: Will my misdemeanor severly hurt my chances at law school

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:56 pm

24 hours ago? It will hurt you.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:58 pm

dont apply this cycle, until you know how things plan out. it sucks, but you need to know how the investigation works out. Focus your attention on this, and dont worry about law school right now.

best of luck!

soscaredimscrewed

Postby soscaredimscrewed » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:05 pm

when is the next cycle? i can't sit around and just do nothing for a year. i graduate in spring and had my whole life set for law school in the fall :(

soscaredimscrewed

Postby soscaredimscrewed » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:08 pm

honestly i see a maximum of community service and piss testing in my future but thats about as far as it'll probably go. what i'm more worried about is what charges will stick/get dropped and if that'll make a big difference in my application to places.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:34 pm

"Maintaining a drug house" is the charge that you definitely need to get dropped, in my opinion.
Can possession be proven in your case when there are several people living in the house ? Your attorney should be able to help you in a substantial way.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:35 pm

You cannot apply this cycle with that.
You should get a job. If you start looking now you will definitely find one worth while for a year (and im sorry to suggest it.. maybe two. Two will help you more. You need to distance yourself from these charges and DEFINITELY work to get them dropped)... that's serious stuff

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”