I can't even fill out a page

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
whymeohgodno

I can't even fill out a page

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:26 pm

On my resume. I know softs don't matter having like 2-3 clubs and petty WE along with no volunteer activity...How much will it hurt?

Rikkugrrl

Re: I can't even fill out a page

Postby Rikkugrrl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:28 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:On my resume. I know softs don't matter having like 2-3 clubs and petty WE along with no volunteer activity...How much will it hurt?

Big font? :D

Are you sure you're including everything? I kept messing with my resume because I forgot to add stuff like scholarships and fiction writing contests I'd entered. It doesn't have to just be clubs and work experience. Also if you ever made any kind of honors list with your GPA (department honors list, honor roll, dean's list, faculty honors list etc.) any and all of those count. So do distinguished gpa, highly distinguished gpa, etc.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:30 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:On my resume. I know softs don't matter having like 2-3 clubs and petty WE along with no volunteer activity...How much will it hurt?

Are you sure you're including everything? I kept messing with my resume because I forgot to add stuff like scholarships and fiction writing contests I'd entered. It doesn't have to just be clubs and work experience. Also if you ever made any kind of honors list with your GPA (department honors list, honor roll, dean's list, faculty honors list etc.) any and all of those count. So do distinguished gpa, highly distinguished gpa, etc.

Lol so should I add dean's list (rofl) and my 2 useless honors societies? Maybe I should add the scholarship I got also? That's only like 4 more lines? Maybe I should double space it? Say I'm fluent in 2 languages and also say I'm proficient in Microsoft Word+Excel?!?

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:32 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:

Lol so should I add dean's list (rofl) and my 2 useless honors societies? Maybe I should add the scholarship I got also? That's only like 4 more lines? Maybe I should double space it? Say I'm fluent in 2 languages and also say I'm proficient in Microsoft Word+Excel?!?

Yes to dean's list and honor societies. Fluency is definitely something to add, if you're really fluent. I tell my students all the time about a girl that wrote she was fluent in Spanish on her resume when she meant she was highly proficient...then had her interviewer come out and conduct the interview in Spanish. Embarrassing.

Remember, this is a resume for schools, not for jobs. You'll want to do some major tweaking when you apply for jobs, but right now, academic stuff is more important than that summer job flipping burgers.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:33 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:

Languages should for sure go on there. Scholarships and honor societies too, if you have nothing else. Don't put deans list or Microsoft skills.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:34 pm

Rikkugrrl wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:

Yes to dean's list and honor societies. Fluency is definitely something to add, if you're really fluent. I tell my students all the time about a girl that wrote she was fluent in Spanish on her resume when she meant she was highly proficient...then had her interviewer come out and conduct the interview in Spanish. Embarrassing.

Remember, this is a resume for schools, not for jobs. You'll want to do some major tweaking when you apply for jobs, but right now, academic stuff is more important than that summer job flipping burgers.

Well I'm definitely fluent enough to carry out a conversation so I guess it's worth listing.

I guess listing cashier/stock manager is better than listing nothing at all.

Hopefully even with a half empty resume it will still be a numbers game.

TT09

Postby TT09 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Ragged wrote:
whymeohgodno wrote:
Rikkugrrl wrote:

Languages should for sure go on there. Scholarships and honor societies too, if you have nothing else.Don't put deans list or Microsoft skills.

Fixed.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:17 pm

So is there a consensus on how much my empty resume will hurt at Cornell/UCLA/Vandy? 3.79/168 :shock:

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:22 pm

You can put all the scholarship/honor society/deans list/language stuff on there.
No MS word etc though.

I can look over your resume if you want and give some advice.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:22 pm

JJDancer wrote:You can put all the scholarship/honor society/deans list/language stuff on there.
No MS word etc though.

I can look over your resume if you want and give some advice.

:) Thanks a lot! I'll pm it to you once I finish it!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”