Number of LORs

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
catsparka

Number of LORs

Postby catsparka » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:19 pm

Last edited by catsparka on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

lzyovrachievr

Re: Number of LORs

Postby lzyovrachievr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:24 pm

It probably won't hurt, as there aren't so many as to annoy people, but they might not read the 3rd one. Also, if the LORs say the same things, the schools might question your judgment. But if they're good, no real issue, besides being unnecessary.

Most people say to save the third for getting off waitlists.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:25 pm

Stop it, cat. Just stop it, ok?

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:26 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:It probably won't hurt, as there aren't so many as to annoy people, but they might not read the 3rd one. Also, if the LORs say the same things, the schools might question your judgment. But if they're good, no real issue, besides being unnecessary.

Okay, thanks! :)

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:29 pm

Ragged wrote:Stop it, cat. Just stop it, ok?

? Sorry if I'm asking a lot of trivial questions on this forum. This whole application process is making me kind of neurotic. :(

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:31 pm

catsparka wrote:

? Sorry if I'm asking a lot of trivial questions on this forum. This whole application process is making me kind of neurotic. :(

Nah, I was just kidding. I'm sure with your stats worrying about the number "solid" LORs is unnecessery. You will do great.

Also, I sent in 3 even if 2 were required. Figure it can't hurt.

catsparka

Postby catsparka » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:36 pm

Ragged wrote:
catsparka wrote:

Nah, I was just kidding. I'm sure with your stats worrying about the number "solid" LORs is unnecessery. You will do great.

Also, I sent in 3 even if 2 were required. Figure it can't hurt.

Thanks! :) Good luck on your cycle!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:37 pm

Send 2. They recommend it for a reason.

Pleasye

Postby Pleasye » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:It probably won't hurt, as there aren't so many as to annoy people, but they might not read the 3rd one. Also, if the LORs say the same things, the schools might question your judgment. But if they're good, no real issue, besides being unnecessary.

If you check the box saying that you give up your right to read your letters then they can't really question your judgment because they know you don't even know what's in them.

<3 you Lzy

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:43 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:

If you check the box saying that you give up your right to read your letters then they can't really question your judgment because they know you don't even know what's in them.

<3 you Lzy

The waiver form only says that you give up the right to see your LORs after enrolling at that law school, because they become part of your educational file. You're always free to ask the LOR writer to see a copy.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:57 pm

LSpleaseee wrote:

<3 you Lzy

Lol. You too pleasy. What I mean is that if you send 3 letters from politics professors that you've had in politics classes, they are likely to say the same things about you. Thus sending extra is redundant.

And it might seem odd, but in fact many deans have commented on this and said you can send more LORs than their guideline, but it's a "question of judgment." (Specific quote from Columbia session.) If you're sending in 4 LORs that say the same thing, schools are going to wonder why you didn't just send 2. As I said, 3 isn't so bad. You can figure out generally what a LOR is going to say without reading it based on who you had write it and your contact with them. And just because schools should take it easy on you because you didn't read it doesn't mean they actually will. They need ways to distinguish between people, and if you don't show good sense in what you send them, that's a way to distinguish.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”