Schools that ask to list schools you're applying to

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ryno8cubs5

Schools that ask to list schools you're applying to

Postby ryno8cubs5 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:29 pm

If you are applying to a lot of schools, but just based one fee waivers that they send you in emails can you just say something like, " Schools that send me fee waivers." in that section?

Or, if you don't list the schools at all will it hurt your application to schools that you really want to attend?

Sandro

Re: Schools that ask to list schools you're applying to

Postby Sandro » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:39 pm

I would list schools that would be "competitors" to that school in ranking/market. Im not even sure it matters at all. In fact, I can't see how it would matter in any situation but if you had a 4.0/180 and listed you were applying to HYS on your app to T2 U. Your admissions decision will be based off of everything other than the schools you list. If you don't list any they might think wow either this kid is only applying to this school or he can't read directions.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:41 pm

ryno8cubs5 wrote:If you are applying to a lot of schools, but just based one fee waivers that they send you in emails can you just say something like, " Schools that send me fee waivers." in that section?

Or, if you don't list the schools at all will it hurt your application to schools that you really want to attend?

That is possibly the worst response you could choose to put in that space. I doubt that you are obligated to fill it in, so barring all else just put nothing.

If you are looking to play the scholarship game with that school and it is a regional school, put in its closest peers in the region (that you are applying to).

The Gentleman

Postby The Gentleman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:45 pm

I was wondering about this same thing.

lzyovrachievr

Postby lzyovrachievr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:16 pm

bdubs wrote:That is possibly the worst response you could choose to put in that space. I doubt that you are obligated to fill it in, so barring all else just put nothing.

If you are looking to play the scholarship game with that school and it is a regional school, put in its closest peers in the region (that you are applying to).

Either don't answer the question if it's optional. Or do this.
List some peer schools.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:18 pm

Just don't list a bunch of schools in a different region.

If you are applying to Illinois, put WUSTL, Minn, Iowa, etc. But if you just like Davis, Hastings, Irvine, Southwestern, and Washinton, they assume you just want West coast.

ryno8cubs5

Postby ryno8cubs5 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:11 pm

Awesome thanks for the answers. I am applying to close regional schools in the Kansas City area, so I am actually listing KU, UMKC, MU and such.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”