Damn... I submitted a wrong version of my statement...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kkfish

Damn... I submitted a wrong version of my statement...

Postby kkfish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:15 am

Accidentally submitted a wrong Why Michigan Statement online with two minor grammatical mistakes..
Don't know what to do now..
Is it too late to contact the admission office and say I want to replace the statement?
BUMMER..

plenipotentiary

Re: Damn... I submitted a wrong version of my statement...

Postby plenipotentiary » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:20 am

If they're minor, it's probably not a big deal. At least you didn't submit the Why statement for the wrong school.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:21 am

call the admissions office immediately

get that statement ready to e-mail or snail mail and be prepared to send it to the specific person you talked to

best of luck

kkfish

Postby kkfish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:21 am

hopefully :oops:

plenipotentiary wrote:If they're minor, it's probably not a big deal. At least you didn't submit the Why statement for the wrong school.

kkfish

Postby kkfish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:25 am

Thanks, I just think this might be worse because now they notice my mistakes.

northwood wrote:call the admissions office immediately

get that statement ready to e-mail or snail mail and be prepared to send it to the specific person you talked to

best of luck

kkfish

Postby kkfish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:44 am

Isn't that someone just said he/she has submitted a minor update and admission people said fine?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:22 pm

kkfish wrote:Isn't that someone just said he/she has submitted a minor update and admission people said fine?

I sent several updates (no mistakes, actual updates) and asked staff at schools to replace the version they have with the new version, all was fine with it. I sent PDF files.

kkfish

Postby kkfish » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:29 pm

Thanks, that's very helpful.

r6_philly wrote:
kkfish wrote:Isn't that someone just said he/she has submitted a minor update and admission people said fine?

I sent several updates (no mistakes, actual updates) and asked staff at schools to replace the version they have with the new version, all was fine with it. I sent PDF files.

canuck

Postby canuck » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:05 pm

I thought about correcting a couple things I wasn't happy with in my personal statement (somehow missed them after a 1000 or so edits), but I think if you send another copy you draw attention to the mistakes. Admissions officers read these things quickly and with little attention to detail (from what I hear from a few profs I know on admissions committees for various grad schools). They likely won't catch it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:44 pm

canuck wrote:I thought about correcting a couple things I wasn't happy with in my personal statement (somehow missed them after a 1000 or so edits), but I think if you send another copy you draw attention to the mistakes. Admissions officers read these things quickly and with little attention to detail (from what I hear from a few profs I know on admissions committees for various grad schools). They likely won't catch it.

Well then change the PS around a little so it doesn't look like a fix-a-mistake.

Besides, using your logic, if they don't have the time to read your one PS carefully, they somehow are going to find the extra time to read TWO of your PS's and compare them to find the mistake that took you 1001 reads to find? Also, the assistants assemble the files, so your revised copy gets handled by the office staff, not the admissions staff.

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:34 am

It doesn't matter trust me. A lot of us 3L and 2Ls thought the same thing. Its a numbers game, take it from T19 and T4 students, its a numbers game softs don't matter. I'm sorry, but it doesn't, I wrote some bs on purpose and got in with a scholly.

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:39 am

LOL, I forgot what the admissions process was like. Don't stress too much guys, you did your best on the lsat and your grades are what they are. You probably won't listen to me, the way I didn't listen to my CLS buddies but in the end you'll see. Gluck, don't stress, use lawschoolnumbers.com its very accurate year in and year out. Enjoy your last free year and upcoming summer and get ready for some stiff competition. Peace, love, and happiness, until next year...its finals time after this month, peace buddies.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:41 am

Nothing like authoritative free advice on the InterWebz.

How is lawschoolnumbers "accurate"? Do you know everyone on it, since it is merely a data repository.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:44 am

Mich will "update your file," but they won't throw out your first one. Haha don't pull the "wrong version" thing w/ the adcom office. Why would you keep a version of your Why Mich statement that's exactly the same as your "final" version, but w/ two grammatical mistakes? ;)

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:53 am

MrKappus wrote:Mich will "update your file," but they won't throw out your first one. Haha don't pull the "wrong version" thing w/ the adcom office. Why would you keep a version of your Why Mich statement that's exactly the same as your "final" version, but w/ two grammatical mistakes? ;)

it's an "updated" version. If you expect the staff to actually read and compare them you are putting too much faith in their efficiency.

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:54 am

r6_philly wrote:Nothing like authoritative free advice on the InterWebz.

How is lawschoolnumbers "accurate"? Do you know everyone on it, since it is merely a data repository.

Ok bro, you will see. I said the same thing you did, in the end its just a numbers game. But hell what do I know, I've just been through this already and found out the hard way. Gluck guys really, don't take my advice, by next august you will all know what I'm talking about. Btw law school isn't that bad, and don't be on this site too long although its hard not to.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:00 am

killuminati wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Nothing like authoritative free advice on the InterWebz.

Ok bro, you will see. I said the same thing you did, in the end its just a numbers game. But hell what do I know, I've just been through this already and found out the hard way. Gluck guys really, don't take my advice, by next august you will all know what I'm talking about. Btw law school isn't that bad, and don't be on this site too long although its hard not to.

If you really are sincerely about "don't take my advice" then you would have stopped dispensing it already.

Why August?

And you found out the hard way? That means you have not so great numbers right? I don't really understand your advice... if what you saying are true, then our numbers will speak for themselves, and no advice is necessary what so ever because it doesn't matter what we do?

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:14 am

r6_philly wrote:
MrKappus wrote:Mich will "update your file," but they won't throw out your first one. Haha don't pull the "wrong version" thing w/ the adcom office. Why would you keep a version of your Why Mich statement that's exactly the same as your "final" version, but w/ two grammatical mistakes? ;)

it's an "updated" version. If you expect the staff to actually read and compare them you are putting too much faith in their efficiency.

No faith. But Mich specifically told me when I applied way back when that they don't take things out of files. More likely: they'll see there are two versions, glance at both, see they're remarkably similar, and say "Oh. He made some mistakes and turned in a second." I'm not saying it'll be outcome-determinative, but Mich will keep the file complete as a "whole." That's all.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:17 am

MrKappus wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

No faith. But Mich specifically told me when I applied way back when that they don't take things out of files. More likely: they'll see there are two versions, glance at both, see they're remarkably similar, and say "Oh. He made some mistakes and turned in a second." I'm not saying it'll be outcome-determinative, but Mich will keep the file complete as a "whole." That's all.

Look on the bright side, if they spend the time looking for your mistake, then you know they read it thoroughly! ha :lol:

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:19 am

^ Haha never pegged you for such a rosy optimist, but good point.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:59 am

MrKappus wrote:^ Haha never pegged you for such a rosy optimist, but good point.

My mantra has always been optimistic on the inside, but pessimistic in actual proceedings. That way you can keep positive while not get too disappointed. That's the life lesson I was forced to learn, but it keeps the stress down and hopes up. 8) I am probably one of the most optimistic person on this planet, I just don't tell everyone that, not on the Internet.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”