Boss Wrote a Very Long LOR

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
frankbooher

Boss Wrote a Very Long LOR

Postby frankbooher » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:39 am

Is there a page limit for LORs? My boss wrote me a LOR that's almost two pages single spaced, I'm wondering if that's too long. Is there actually a page limit for LORs? Thanks!

edit: it is a very detailed letter and he certainly spent a lot of time on it, and it's definitely a high quality letter, not a rambling sort of letter.

thesybarite

Re: Boss Wrote a Very Long LOR

Postby thesybarite » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 am

Ha ha - I hope not. Both mine are 2 pages, and one is a full, wordy, descriptive 2 pages. It's sort of something beyond your control I think - surely they can't hold it against you? I hope!

frankbooher

Postby frankbooher » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:53 am

No way they'll hold it against us, but I'm more worried about they don't give it enough attention because of the long read.....

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:59 am

Yeah I wondered that too. But you know, mine's from a lawyer and I think sometimes it's a given that they waffle on just a tad...

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:19 am

i think ur concern is legit - 2 pages seems kinda long and i'd b afraid that admissions officers might not read it as carefully (unintentionally ofc) . if u can, i'd suggest trying to get ur recommender to simply consolidate it/make it a bit more concise, but if u can't do it or if it'll take to long, don't worry about it. Either way i don't think it'll help/hurt ur chances much seeing as admissions = gpa+lsat.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:30 am

I wouldn't sweat it.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:44 am

Meh, I have one that's particularly long too, but for the schools where LORs really matter, I think that's probably a good thing.

St.Remy

Postby St.Remy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:49 am

fugitivejammer wrote:i think ur concern is legit - 2 pages seems kinda long and i'd b afraid that admissions officers might not read it as carefully (unintentionally ofc) . if u can, i'd suggest trying to get ur recommender to simply consolidate it/make it a bit more concise, but if u can't do it or if it'll take to long, don't worry about it. Either way i don't think it'll help/hurt ur chances much seeing as admissions = gpa+lsat.

So you can spell out "consolidate" but you can't be bothered to spell out "you" or "your" eh? Considering that adcomms don't want students to see their LORs at all there is no logical way that they could hold a lengthy one against you.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:15 am

thesybarite wrote:Yeah I wondered that too. But you know, mine's from a lawyer and I think sometimes it's a given that they waffle on just a tad...

After legal writing and working a bit, you'll learn that good lawyers don't waffle in their writing. They write very simply, and are very economical with their words. It's difficult to understand, but you'll notice it in your own work during second year after you look back on some of the things you wrote first year.

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:52 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
thesybarite wrote:Yeah I wondered that too. But you know, mine's from a lawyer and I think sometimes it's a given that they waffle on just a tad...

After legal writing and working a bit, you'll learn that good lawyers don't waffle in their writing. They write very simply, and are very economical with their words. It's difficult to understand, but you'll notice it in your own work during second year after you look back on some of the things you wrote first year.

That's certainly not been my experience from working in law, but my time hasn't been in the States so perhaps it's different. The whole process is wordy here - from folders of solicitor's briefs, to very lengthy opinions from barristers, and then even more long-winded, at best lyrical, judgments in court.

mtrl

Postby mtrl » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:19 am

According to Ivey, 2 pages is fine. More than that is trying. As other people have expressed, it will strengthen your application (assuming those 2 pages are all anecdotes about your brilliance).

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:51 am

My recommender told me his was 4 pages including cover page and bibliography. What citation method is your recommender using?

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:07 am

thesybarite wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

That's certainly not been my experience from working in law, but my time hasn't been in the States so perhaps it's different. The whole process is wordy here - from folders of solicitor's briefs, to very lengthy opinions from barristers, and then even more long-winded, at best lyrical, judgments in court.

UK? In UK law schools we get punished with ludicrously small word counts and penalised for going over; we are literally trained to remove any 'waffling'. As far as my experience mooting, working in courts and in firms go, too-the-point concise letters are what are preferred and generally advocated by barristers/judges. Lords don't tend to waffle at all,... and when they do, its okay, because well,... they are Lords. Look at Lord Denning, he is famous purely for waffling on and on about nonsense because Lords are usually hard lined at discussing relevant issues.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:13 am

Fred_McGriff wrote:My recommender told me his was 4 pages including cover page and bibliography. What citation method is your recommender using?

It probably depends on how your love letters to him were published.

thesybarite

Postby thesybarite » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:47 am

MrAdams wrote:
thesybarite wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:

UK? In UK law schools we get punished with ludicrously small word counts and penalised for going over; we are literally trained to remove any 'waffling'. As far as my experience mooting, working in courts and in firms go, too-the-point concise letters are what are preferred and generally advocated by barristers/judges. Lords don't tend to waffle at all,... and when they do, its okay, because well,... they are Lords. Look at Lord Denning, he is famous purely for waffling on and on about nonsense because Lords are usually hard lined at discussing relevant issues.

Australia/New Zealand. Guess I'll have to learn to trim it down a bit!

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:54 am

ahduth wrote:
Fred_McGriff wrote:My recommender told me his was 4 pages including cover page and bibliography. What citation method is your recommender using?

It probably depends on how your love letters to him were published.

Usually scrawled on stalls at rest rooms.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”