Can Law Schools Verify Employment History?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
hendrix

Can Law Schools Verify Employment History?

Postby hendrix » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:21 am

I have some gaps that need filling. How much can I stretch?

Bildungsroman

Re: Can Law Schools Verify Employment History?

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:26 am

hendrix wrote:I have some gaps that need filling. How much can I stretch?

Don't stretch. Be honest on all your law school applications.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:27 am

Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably not. Is it something you want to risk getting called on when it comes to character and fitness? Probably not.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:41 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably not. Is it something you want to risk getting called on when it comes to character and fitness? Probably not.

TITCR...with a caveat. The state bar may be calling your employers. Most states have anti-defamation laws that lead employers to verify only basic info. But if the bar can get information on performance, conduct, etc, it will. Usually, dates, position(s) and salary are all they get. There is a reason the background check takes up to 6-9 months.

2lstudent

Postby 2lstudent » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:36 am

FWIW if its a question of dates, the C+F committee (at least in my state) pulled our social security work history, so they can see exactly where you worked for how long. Don't lie.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:41 am

2lstudent wrote:FWIW if its a question of dates, the C+F committee (at least in my state) pulled our social security work history, so they can see exactly where you worked for how long. Don't lie.

What if I worked at my parents store in an unofficial capacity? (didn't get paid).

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:18 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
2lstudent wrote:FWIW if its a question of dates, the C+F committee (at least in my state) pulled our social security work history, so they can see exactly where you worked for how long. Don't lie.

What if I worked at my parents store in an unofficial capacity? (didn't get paid).

If you did, then you did. If one is being honest, then he or she should have nothing about which to worry.

That said, working for your parents in that manner cannot be easily verified. I'm sure a lot of people do put that the worked at daddy's doctors office or consultation firm on their application when they really mean that they go into ma or pa's office once a week to ask for money.

Postby 2014 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:46 am

At least with a parent's business C&F can verify that your parents do in fact own a business or did when you claim to have worked for them.

The issue with totally making up something you did to fill a gap is that you never know what is going to catch an employer's eye. Even if the position you make up to you seems to be the least important, it might be one that in an interview they choose to focus on, and you have great potential to look like an idiot if you can't even have a ten minute conversation with someone about what you did.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:52 am

whymeohgodno wrote:

It is read that your parents were supporting you. I don't think anyone will bother to check further than that.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:16 am

These kinds of questions from future lawyers frighten me.

anstud06

Postby anstud06 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:59 am

What state is this? Did it say in the character-fitness application that the Bar Examiners would be getting your detailed earnings information from the SSA? I've never heard of that til now.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:31 pm

anstud06 wrote:What state is this? Did it say in the character-fitness application that the Bar Examiners would be getting your detailed earnings information from the SSA? I've never heard of that til now.

C&F committees are draconian. This isn't business school.

anstud06

Postby anstud06 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:31 pm

I understand that, but the information on the application only states release of credit report checks, criminal background checks, driving records, etc. Do you know from experience (or through anecdotes) which states obtain SSA earnings info of all employers?

rayiner wrote:
anstud06 wrote:What state is this? Did it say in the character-fitness application that the Bar Examiners would be getting your detailed earnings information from the SSA? I've never heard of that til now.

C&F committees are draconian. This isn't business school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”