Application Advice

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
carboy67

Application Advice

Postby carboy67 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:22 pm

I was wondering if anyone had advice about a course of action for my applications. Here are my stats

GPA: 3.49
LSAT: 171
Hispanic (Venezuelan)/Middle Eastern (First Generation American)
Strong On Campus Involvement
Worked Part-time throughout Undergrad

I have two questions:

1. What I was interested in knowing is when I should apply to certain schools. I am doing pretty well this semester and my GPA could end up between a 3.50-3.55 after this semester (depending on how well I actually end up). I am applying to Penn through WashU on the rankings and a few others such as Emory and SMU. I figure I should go ahead and apply to Emory and SMU because my grades are within their range and they are safeties. Should I consider holding off on applying to any of the schools in the other set until I get my higher grades?

2. I also was wondering about taking the LSAT once again in February to score higher and be a candidate for better scholarship consideration. Anyone have experience with this/know if it works?

I appreciate all the help

mst

Re: Application Advice

Postby mst » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 pm

1. Apply now. If your grades go up you can send those in next semester.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:12 am

1. If you're going to wait for fall grades, you might as well consider applying next cycle and waiting for spring grades as well. After New Years will be prohibitively late and you will likely get WL or Denied at schools you would have been competitive at. If you think your grades will improve, I would consider taking extra courses, doing well, and applying next fall.

2. I got a 171 in June and retook in October and got a 177. Based on my experience, I received a 171 because I distinctly remember being hunted for time on the last LG in June because I misread a premise. I had been scoring in the 175 range for most of my preptests so I took it in October being reasonably confident I would score higher. I think the wise thing to do is to consider why you received a 171 and if a retake is worth the risk and cost. If you got a 171 because you messed up on a section you usually do well on, you might want to study again and retake it. If you got a 171 after studying hard, then its likely a retake will not significantly improve your score.

Based on your GPA, LSAT, and URM, I would recommended getting better grades this fall and next spring and applying next fall. If you can get the GPA up past 3.6, you stand a good shot at great schools. Just my 2 cents.

ATR

Postby ATR » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:08 am

Ship87 wrote:1. If you're going to wait for fall grades, you might as well consider applying next cycle and waiting for spring grades as well. After New Years will be prohibitively late and you will likely get WL or Denied at schools you would have been competitive at. If you think your grades will improve, I would consider taking extra courses, doing well, and applying next fall.

Can someone confirm if this is true? I am retaking in December but I don't want to be shut out of schools where I'd otherwise be accepted. What are some strategies to avoid this? Applying now with a note that I'm retaking?

Sorry to ask questions in your thread, carboy67, but I assume this information would be useful to you as well (re: grades).

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:27 am

atresia wrote:
Ship87 wrote:1. If you're going to wait for fall grades, you might as well consider applying next cycle and waiting for spring grades as well. After New Years will be prohibitively late and you will likely get WL or Denied at schools you would have been competitive at. If you think your grades will improve, I would consider taking extra courses, doing well, and applying next fall.

Can someone confirm if this is true? I am retaking in December but I don't want to be shut out of schools where I'd otherwise be accepted. What are some strategies to avoid this? Applying now with a note that I'm retaking?

Sorry to ask questions in your thread, carboy67, but I assume this information would be useful to you as well (re: grades).

It's pretty late. Looking at LSN people who are the yellow dots among the green usually applied late (excluding YP).

Postby 2014 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:22 am

atresia wrote:

If you think you can get in now, definitely apply now and tell them not to wait for your retake. If you can't get in now, it's better late WL-->Accept than an early rejection.

The post above is right though. If you look at LSN, most waitlists seem to apply in January after Dec. scores come in.

OP apply now 100%. 3.5 in particular is only relevant at CCN I believe and you don't seem to be targeting those. If your GPA goes up, update them. Also consider your grades could always go down, and it would suck to wait only to find out that you waited for lower grades.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:35 pm

2014 wrote:
atresia wrote:
Ship87 wrote:OP apply now 100%. 3.5 in particular is only relevant at CCN I believe and you don't seem to be targeting those. If your GPA goes up, update them. Also consider your grades could always go down, and it would suck to wait only to find out that you waited for lower grades.

Correct. Apply now. Mention the upcoming LSAT on your apps, and if your grades go up send them in. End of story. Do not wait until next cycle, your numbers are great now. If you don't get into the schools you want to, you can still apply next cycle so your not losing anything by applying now.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”