Max word count for addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
MysticalWheel

Max word count for addendum?

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:14 pm

I have a significant issue with my 2nd semester college GPA, for which I am writing an addendum. The general consensus seems to be 2-3 paragraphs max, but I was wondering what the word count equivalent would be. Right now, I am right below 250 words, including the "Addendum" title and personal information at top. Is 250 pushing it? Thanks.

MW

txadv11

Re: Max word count for addendum?

Postby txadv11 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:26 pm

I thought mine was too long when I sent it. It is 247 words (15 lines 12pt TNR) , but explains several GPA issues.

MysticalWheel

Postby MysticalWheel » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:28 pm

I'm leaning towards thinking it's a bit too long also. I'll try to get it around 200, which would be just over 1/2 page double spaced, 12 pt font, Times. Thanks!

MW

txadv11

Postby txadv11 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:41 am

Sample GPA Addendum wrote:"
During my sophomore year of college, my mother was diagnosed with uterine sarcoma, a form of cancer. Her treatement involved a hysterectomy and chemotherapy, which left her fatigued and unable to continue caring for my younger brother Jason, age 14 at the time. During this year I drove 40 miles back home after classes and cared for both my mother and Jason during the afternoons and evenings, and then drove back to Chicago in the morning to attend classes. This negatively impacted my classes, but I could not withdraw for the year without forfeiting the Wheelman Scholarship mentioned in my resume.

As a result I received a 2.5 GPA my fall semester and a 3.0 GPA my spring semester of my sopohomore year. I believe that my 3.75 overall GPA in my other three years is more representative of my current potential.
"

This is not my work. Credit to viewtopic.php?f=22&t=86526

101 words. They have a few other sample addenda at the above link. Mine was quite a bit longer with almost the EXACT same reason, however I retook courses and wanted to cite a few of the grades. Example, "As you can see if Fall 200X I took the XXXXX class and recieved a "D". I retook the class one year later, after my mother had beaten cancer, and recieved an "A".

To compare, my LSAT addenda VERY breifly explaining my 11 point jump between test 1 and 2 was only 90 words.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”