Rather unusual fee waiver Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
cinephile

Gold

Rather unusual fee waiver

Post by cinephile » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:53 pm

I just got a fee waiver from Columbia despite being below both of their medians. But that's not the unusual part. In the email they stated being pleased with the "caliber of [my undergrad] students" and invited me to apply.

Has anyone else received an email like this?

I'm almost thinking of applying now, even though Columbia wasn't even one of my considerations before due to my numbers.

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Re: Rather unusual fee waiver

Post by lzyovrachievr » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:55 pm

URM?

Also- I'm jealous you heard from Columbia.

2Serious4Numbers

Bronze

Post by 2Serious4Numbers » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:56 pm

What else are they going to say? "good job but it prob wasn't good enough" they are giving you a fee waiver to boost their numbers. (most likely) We all get them.
Last edited by 2Serious4Numbers on Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:58 pm

Stock emails are stock.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:00 pm

Yeah, I was just surprised that they mentioned my school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarahh

Silver

Post by sarahh » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:00 pm

I think a lot of people got an e-mail stating they were only getting the fee waiver because of their LSAT score. Getting a fee waiver is not really a sign that your chances of admission are good. I would not get your hopes up, but if you like the school, I would go for it - it will only cost you $12.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Post by plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:01 pm

2Serious4Numbers wrote:What else are they going to say? "good job but it prob wasn't good enough"
That's what they said to me!

Dear Ms. LastName,

We congratulate you and share your excitement that a major hurdle?the LSAT?in the law school application process has been completed. In that regard, your name was forwarded to us by the Candidate Referral Service of The Law School Data Assembly Service, in which you had earlier agreed to participate. On the basis of your performance on the LSAT only, you have been identified as a prospective law school applicant who, on that criterion alone, has demonstrated a capability to contribute to and benefit from a legal education of the first order.

We are writing to encourage you carefully to consider applying to Columbia Law School for admission to our 2011 entering class. Since we have invited you to apply for admission to Columbia, we are waiving the usually required application fee of $80. In order to take advantage of this opportunity, kindly apply through the LSAC online application at http://www.lsac.org, where the fee will be automatically waived.

This letter of encouragement applies only to those who have not yet submitted an application to our Law School. We also should emphasize that this letter does not imply that our Admissions Committee would necessarily take favorable action on your candidacy if you apply, as many factors other than an applicant?s LSAT score are evaluated by Columbia in reaching a decision. For more information about Columbia Law School, our admissions philosophy, and application, please visit our website at http://www.law.columbia.edu/admissions.

Best wishes for success with all your law school applications. We look forward to reviewing your candidacy for admission to Columbia Law School.

Warm wishes,

Nkonye Iwerebon
Dean of Admissions

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Boosting selectivity rating.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:08 pm

cinephile wrote:Yeah, I was just surprised that they mentioned my school.
You really think that is that hard for them to automate or even that hard for them to do by hand for each person?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

HopefulFish

Bronze

Post by HopefulFish » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:09 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:Boosting selectivity rating.
Boosting is Boosting.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:16 pm

bk187 wrote:
cinephile wrote:Yeah, I was just surprised that they mentioned my school.
You really think that is that hard for them to automate or even that hard for them to do by hand for each person?
I don't think it's automated because they mentioned when they'd be visiting my campus. Of course, I've been out of school (and out of the area) for a few years so it's not like I can attend anyway.

Fred_McGriff

Bronze

Post by Fred_McGriff » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:25 pm

Probably not a stock letter. The dean who wrote it probably searched long and hard for you through your friends and family, and had it dictated to his secretary while at sea. You're a shoe in.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:42 pm

When did you all get the fee waiver? I want one - I think my numbers should give me a shot... show me some love Columbia :cry:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:43 pm

Fred_McGriff wrote:Probably not a stock letter. The dean who wrote it probably searched long and hard for you through your friends and family, and had it dictated to his secretary while at sea. You're a shoe in.
Nice touch with the "while at sea" :lol:

Gold

Post by 094320 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:44 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”