take a year? hold apps til jan? transfer in?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
agora139

take a year? hold apps til jan? transfer in?

Postby agora139 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:14 pm

i'm a senior with a ~3.5 GPA at a non-HYP ivy and a pretty good/legitimate gpa addendum (4.0 junior year and will be a 4.0 senior year). i was practicing at 171-175 and due to nerves/logic games got a 167 on the October test. i've signed up for the December test, but i've just come back from a meeting with a dean who told me that i would definitely have a better chance waiting a year to apply. i know this is true, but i'm really set on going next year -- how much will it hurt me to wait to apply until january? can i submit my applications and have my top choices not review it until my January score comes in? is it even worth it?

also, if i am rejected from the schools i'm excited to attend and decide to either reapply a year later or transfer in, how does an earlier rejection factor in to my applications later?

thanks!

ahduth

Re: take a year? hold apps til jan? transfer in?

Postby ahduth » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:15 pm

I'd take a couple years off anyways, get some work experience, see the world. It'll probably be fun, but it will at the very least make your app stronger, anyhow.

thexfactor

Postby thexfactor » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:20 pm

dont count on transferring in.

Why dont oyu hedge your risks. Do ED at the school you want to go to. Then retake LSat. If you get a higher score and they haven't made a decision then you can withdraw your ED.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Can i change from ED to non-ED? i thought it was a set thing?

a subsidiary question: my gpa will be a 3.6 after this semester (as opposed to the 3.5 i have now). will this change anything, provided my lsat score is higher as well? is it really out of the question to wait til january? basic question:
apply now with ~3.5 and high 160's
OR
apply in Jan with 3.6 and >170 (hopefully)

I really want to go next year!
also, is there an advantage to submitting my apps now and writing an email to not review my app until my dec score comes out? or should i just wait to submit the whole thing until jan?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:34 pm

An important tidbit of info you have left out: Where do you want to go?

Also: never, ever, ever count on transferring.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:25 pm

not positive, but i'm in love with michigan and nyu (fml). i also have strong softs (varsity athlete and unusual double-major). but i'm still confused about the advantage to sending in my app now--since i'm registered for the Dec test--as opposed to january once i get the score. if i'm applying to a school regardless of the score, does it matter when the app is sent in? or if i send it in now, is it a 'we'll look at your application the second your dec score is released' kind of thing?

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:26 pm

agora139 wrote:not positive, but i'm in love with michigan and nyu (fml). i also have strong softs (varsity athlete and unusual double-major). but i'm still confused about the advantage to sending in my app now--since i'm registered for the Dec test--as opposed to january once i get the score. if i'm applying to a school regardless of the score, does it matter when the app is sent in? or if i send it in now, is it a 'we'll look at your application the second your dec score is released' kind of thing?

If I were you, i would just sit out till next cycle. Also the answer to that is in the FAQ.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”