LOR - undergrad or grad? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tk4386

New

LOR - undergrad or grad?

Post by tk4386 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:00 pm

For a LOR, do law schools tend to prefer letters from undergrad profs or graduate profs? I finished my undergrad in 04, and the profs I would ask remember me well so that isn't a concern.

Any thoughts?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Re: LOR - undergrad or grad?

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:09 pm

Grad could actually be better.

NYC_7911

Bronze

Post by NYC_7911 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 pm

tk4386 wrote:For a LOR, do law schools tend to prefer letters from undergrad profs or graduate profs? I finished my undergrad in 04, and the profs I would ask remember me well so that isn't a concern.

Any thoughts?
I'm a similar situation. I had three undergrad professors that I really wanted letters from, so I requested them. I have also requested an additional from one professor at my grad program, because I worked closely with him, and continue to do so. It really depends on the nature of your masters program. Maybe do 2 undergrad and 1 grad? My sense is to lean toward an emphasis on undergrad LOR, but that may be a somewhat unfounded feeling. I imagine it also matters what subjects your undergrad and grad were in, respectively.

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:23 pm

Purpose of LOR is verification of your academic/research capabilities by someone who has closely supervised you in that capacity. I think in many situations a grad school professor would be a better person to do that than an undergrad.

adt231

Bronze

Post by adt231 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:27 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Purpose of LOR is verification of your academic/research capabilities by someone who has closely supervised you in that capacity. I think in many situations a grad school professor would be a better person to do that than an undergrad.
+1

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:54 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:Purpose of LOR is verification of your academic/research capabilities by someone who has closely supervised you in that capacity. I think in many situations a grad school professor would be a better person to do that than an undergrad.
Yeah, definitely +1.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”