To ED or Not to ED at Georgetown

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JenBunny

To ED or Not to ED at Georgetown

Postby JenBunny » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:59 pm

I know that a million people want to know if they should apply through ED or not....and, well, I'm no different.

I'm from the US, but studied overseas so I'm an international student and thus don't have a GPA but my undergrad record has been rated as 'Superior' (and I've been given a guideline that indicates my GPA is roughly equivalent to a 3.8 or so) and I got an LSAT score of 170.

I want to specialize in International Law, and Georgetown is my top choice. But, I am worried about applying ED and not getting any scholarship money, if I would've been accepted through a normal application anyways and had the chance to get a scholarship.

Does ED make a significant difference for Georgetown (I know at some schools is doesn't, but does anyone have any insight?) How borderline would my application be (I have fairly good softs, I suppose, and I did do a postgrad degree in law in the UK--although, my grades are only rated as above average for that--will that hurt me)?

Advice please!

jtemp320

Re: To ED or Not to ED at Georgetown

Postby jtemp320 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:36 pm

If they will treat your 3.8 as a 3.8 and you have a 170 - don't ED unless you are 100% sure it is Georgetown or bust for you and you don't care about the money. You seem very likely to get in RD

Good luck!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:09 pm

I can't offer you specific advice on how the overseas grades are treated, but you sound like a candidate for much stronger schools than Georgetown on the surface of things. Particularly the overseas law degree... I'd think schools would be all over that.

I'd RD unless you're absolutely sure, like the above poster says.

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:08 pm

I with them. I have similar numbers and interests. 3.88 GPA and 170 LSAT (retaker) and want to do international/security studies law. Georgetown would obviously be great for me, but I decided to aim higher and say "NYU or bust." If they reject me, then I will (hopefully) happily take my GULC scholarship and run with it.

JenBunny

Postby JenBunny » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:41 am

The advice above is much appreciated--I feel more confident in applying RD now! I think I will apply to GULC through RD and apply to other schools with strong International Law departments (like NYU) and see what happens. Hopefully the scholarships will come rolling in!

Good luck to everyone!

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:42 am

jtemp320 wrote:If they will treat your 3.8 as a 3.8 and you have a 170 - don't ED unless you are 100% sure it is Georgetown or bust for you and you don't care about the money. You seem very likely to get in RD

Good luck!

tipler4213

Postby tipler4213 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:55 am

Good luck! I have a feeling there is a really good chance we will be classmates...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”