Berkeley - Softs? Accurate Admission Prediction?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
calilaw

Berkeley - Softs? Accurate Admission Prediction?

Postby calilaw » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:48 pm

I'm looking at Berkeley. My numbers are 170 and 4.0, at or above their 75%. But I've also heard Berkeley puts a huge emphasis on experience, diversity, etc. Does that mean that my LSAT and GPA aren't good predictors of whether I'll get in?

In terms of experience, I've been president of a school organization, completed a couple of internships, had a couple jobs, volunteered for a political campaign. I honestly don't know if that's "average", "pretty good", or what, compared to other Berkeley applicants.

So, first, how does my experience sound to you? Also, beyond the fact that I have a chance of getting in, with how much confidence can I expect to get in? Is it like a 50/50 chance? 60/40? Better than that?

non-URM. 2 strong LORs. PS in progress. (I might be interested in swapping with someone over the next week as I finish it)

whymeohgodno

Re: Berkeley - Softs? Accurate Admission Prediction?

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:56 pm

You're numbers put you right there as a very strong applicant. It just sucks that Berkeley is into the holistic approach which makes even very strong apps a toss up depending on softs.

Postby 2014 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:58 pm

Admission is yours to lose basically. If you write a compelling essay and have a decent resume and non-negative LORs, you are probably fine.

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:06 am

I agree with 2014, as long as you don't screw anything up you should be fine. Out of curiosity are you applying to Stanford as well?

fugitivejammer

Postby fugitivejammer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:13 am

i'd say u have a decent shot, but ur softs r average. i'd almost go ahead and say 60/40 in? lol damn berkeley....kick that essay's butt and good luck!

http://berkeley.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/0910/

calilaw

Postby calilaw » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:12 pm

El_Gallo wrote:I agree with 2014, as long as you don't screw anything up you should be fine. Out of curiosity are you applying to Stanford as well?

I might apply there - but I don't have any targeted LORs because I hadn't planned on having numbers that would place me in Stanford's range. So my expectations aren't too great.

What about UCLA? Are my chances of admission there significantly better than Berkeley (without ED)? Or similar?

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:13 pm

calilaw wrote:
El_Gallo wrote:I agree with 2014, as long as you don't screw anything up you should be fine. Out of curiosity are you applying to Stanford as well?

I might apply there - but I don't have any targeted LORs because I hadn't planned on having numbers that would place me in Stanford's range. So my expectations aren't too great.

What about UCLA? Are my chances of admission there significantly better than Berkeley (without ED)? Or similar?

You don't have to worry about UCLA. In with money unless you get YPed.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:39 pm

I got in last cycle with virtually non-existent softs. I think their holistic approach is a myth.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:I got in last cycle with virtually non-existent softs. I think their holistic approach is a myth.

Numbers? URM?

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:43 pm

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:46 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:I got in last cycle with virtually non-existent softs. I think their holistic approach is a myth.

Numbers? URM?

PM'd you.

To clarify (my first post sounded a little douche-y) I had strong numbers for both Cal and SLS but no softs. Got in @ Cal but dinged at SLS. The fact that SLS did not even offer me WL IMO shows how much more they care about softs.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”