C&F Addenda

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
TommyK

C&F Addenda

Postby TommyK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:44 pm

Hey Guys,

The OSU app has two C&F questions on it that I had to answer yes to. One asking me if I've ever been on academic probation. (got a 1.9 my first semester of undergrad - whoops) and the other asking me if I've ever had a state license revoked or suspended (got my real estate license revoked after I decided not to practice real estate. It was going to be my summer gig while I was a teacher).

Would you send in two separate addenda or put it all as one?

Right now I have it all as one. Any thoughts? Do I even need the last sentences of these paragraphs?

Thank you in advance.

Character & Fitness Addenda

Following my first semester of undergraduate studies, I was placed on academic probation for having a semester grade point average below 2.0. Subsequent to that semester, I improved my academic performance and never received further academic warnings or probationary actions. The academic probation was not for any actions that would raise questions regarding my character or fitness to practice law.

My state real estate license was revoked because of my decision not to pursue continuing education requirements. Instead of pursuing real estate in conjunction with teaching, I decided to pursue my graduate degree and made the conscious decision to let it lapse. This, as well, should not raise any questions regarding my character or fitness to practice law.

TommyK

Re: C&F Addenda

Postby TommyK » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:41 pm

Bump for lil' help?

Postby 2014 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:57 pm

Is the Real Estate license really an issue of it being revoked? I have my license too and have never used it, rather it just sits inactive in my state. I think that question is asking about a punitive revocation, not an inactivity one. You might call the real estate commission and ask what they consider it.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:10 am

2014 wrote:Is the Real Estate license really an issue of it being revoked? I have my license too and have never used it, rather it just sits inactive in my state. I think that question is asking about a punitive revocation, not an inactivity one. You might call the real estate commission and ask what they consider it.

In Ohio, if you don't get your continuing ed requirements, it's suspended for a year, then eventually revoked.

I decided shortly after I got it that I didn't want to be a teacher (and that was going to be my summer gig), so I didn't see the need to do any CE crap. so I let it get revoked.

Maybe I should call them to ask them for clarity?

Postby 2014 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:08 am

I would. The question on the application is definitely asked to figure out whether you have done anything that led to a license getting involuntarily stripped from you. For example DUI --> No drivers license. Malpractice ---> No insurance license, or whatever.

What you did was voluntarily let it expire, something that isn't negative at all, yet checking the box will be seen as a negative thing. If you don't have to disclose it, I wouldn't, because I don't think your situation applies to what the question asks.

TommyK

Postby TommyK » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:16 am

As a follow-up, they asked me to answer yes to both and write addenda explaining it.

Thank you to the responses.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”