Law Decisions via Email - Declining respect for us?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rundoxierun

Re: Law Decisions via Email - Declining respect for us?

Postby rundoxierun » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:30 pm

The most ridiculous thing about this post is that even when they email you they still send an admissions packet with an acceptance letter anyway. So basically the entire premise based on some kind of respect for getting an actual letter falls flat on its face.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:31 pm

tkgrrett wrote:The most ridiculous thing about this post is that even when they email you they still send an admissions packet with an acceptance letter anyway. So basically the entire premise based on some kind of respect for getting an actual letter falls flat on its face.

I think the issue is that they don't waste paper rejecting you.

LLB2JD

Postby LLB2JD » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:33 pm

tkgrrett wrote:The most ridiculous thing about this post is that even when they email you they still send an admissions packet with an acceptance letter anyway. So basically the entire premise based on some kind of respect for getting an actual letter falls flat on its face.

Bingo... I think this thread is really to kill time. People are waiting for responses and need stuff to do before sharpening up pencils, and falling on them because of boredom.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:44 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

I think the issue is that they don't waste paper rejecting you.

Cornell sends an "it's not you, it's me" letter.

CMDantes

Postby CMDantes » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:20 pm

ahduth wrote:
etown989 wrote:OP is solo on this point it seems

Wrong, I'm with the OP here. I'd actually like singing telegrams.

"We've reviewed your file,
And it made us smile!
But it's sadly found,
The rejection pile."

And then they hand you some flowers and a teddy bear with a frowny face or something.

Awesome.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Cornell sends an "it's not you, it's me" letter.

Dear Applicant,

I just don't think we can start seeing each other. It's not you, it's me. I just have these standards that you don't match, but it's not your fault that you don't meet them. It's my fault for having better options than you. I'm sure you'll find someone else, even if that person might have inferior job placement. Best of luck in life!

Sincerely,
Lawl Skool

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:26 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HopefulFish wrote:I can totally see cutting costs, expedience, and going green thing regarding usage of paper, but decisions via Email... really?

The process of applying and reviewing electronically makes perfect sense, but I feel like over time the applicants are treated as no more than just numbers. Don't we deserve at least a letter in a stamped envelope? It's not like they're giving us a break in increasing application fees. It totally loses the professional and personal touch to this arduous process. What do yall think?

OP, in this century, it is 100% professional and acceptable to communicate over email. There is no respect lost. We just finished a major partnership between major publishers - old media companies mind you - that was done over emails, phone calls, and 1 face-to-face. The contract and letter of intent both came over emails. And we are 2 miles away. Welcome to post Y2K.

2 miles is A LOT in New York.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 pm

motiontodismiss wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I didn't realize my username was r6_newyork.

motiontodismiss

Postby motiontodismiss » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:15 am

r6_philly wrote:
motiontodismiss wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

I didn't realize my username was r6_newyork.

It's still a lot in Philly. Or any walking city for that matter.

northwood

Postby northwood » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:48 am

do you want the rejection letter to throw darts at, or to crumple it up and play trashcan basketball like they did with your application? Or do you want to set it on fire and scream at it?

id rather take an e-mail. If you can handle getting your lsat score by e mail, i would hope you can handle finding out if youre accepted or not by an e mail

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:29 am

OP, print out the email they send you. Or print a screen cap of your status checker. You're an idiot.

mst

Postby mst » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:56 am

rad law wrote:OP, print out the email they send you. Or print a screen cap of your status checker. You're an idiot.

Better yet, print it with your eyes closed, put it in an envelope, address it to yourself, wait 3 days, ... , profit.

No, but seriously, I agree with the OP, I'd like a letter for rejections. Even if I'm not getting in, there are quite a few schools I care about a lot, and the fact I poured in years of my life towards achieving that goal... well, if I don't make it, I'd at least like the courtesy of a nice letter. Just my opinion/preference. But I'm a bit conservative like that... I still like the idea of running to the mailbox to rip open that big envelope.

Granted, it's not like not having the army email you if your spouse dies, but law school is still a very important proposition to many people... attending certain ones is not just a match-your-numbers game. For example, if you live in a state with only one good law school, and you don't qualify for acceptance at other good law schools that serve your states market... how would you feel if the only school you truly cared about emailed you to let you know that you'll have to wait another year working at Burger King to apply? It can just feel a bit heartless. Nobody thinks that's what the school is actually going for, but that's how it feels to many folks.

I'm not suggesting everyone in this thread act like rejection at a certain school is a major sad moment in their own lives, but I don't think it would be so awful to keep in mind that it is in others. That doesn't mean we have to change the system up (because mailing is expensive and environmentally unfriendly) but it does mean we don't have to treat the OP like a whiny *itch.

MrAdams

Postby MrAdams » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:39 am

Dunno, maybe its the Scot in me, but I'd like to get my application fee's moneys worth. If they reject me, you are damn straight I want them to pay the $$$ sending that shit over the Atlantic. $75 an application; its the least they could do. I don't care if they respect me or not and no, I wont feel any better about a hardcopy rejection, but seventy-five-dollars is no small change. Being content with email rejections is just allowing yourself to be ripped off that little bit more.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:35 am

MrAdams wrote:Dunno, maybe its the Scot in me, but I'd like to get my application fee's moneys worth. If they reject me, you are damn straight I want them to pay the $$$ sending that shit over the Atlantic. $75 an application; its the least they could do. I don't care if they respect me or not and no, I wont feel any better about a hardcopy rejection, but seventy-five-dollars is no small change. Being content with email rejections is just allowing yourself to be ripped off that little bit more.

I'd pay extra to find out earlier which is effectively what an email offers in comparison to snail mail.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:17 am

whymeohgodno wrote:
MrAdams wrote:Dunno, maybe its the Scot in me, but I'd like to get my application fee's moneys worth. If they reject me, you are damn straight I want them to pay the $$$ sending that shit over the Atlantic. $75 an application; its the least they could do. I don't care if they respect me or not and no, I wont feel any better about a hardcopy rejection, but seventy-five-dollars is no small change. Being content with email rejections is just allowing yourself to be ripped off that little bit more.

I'd pay extra to find out earlier which is effectively what an email offers in comparison to snail mail.

+1

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:41 am

rad law wrote:OP, print out the email they send you. Or print a screen cap of your status checker. You're an idiot.

Maturity is clearly something in short supply on these boards.

Not sure how much time or effort you put into your application process, but many people will have spent quite a bit of time on. Not only that, but it is a major career step for many people, in which they may be quite emotionally invested.

I understand a lot of you are squeaky little undergraduates, gunning their way into the best little law school their numbers will get them into. But you could show people a little respect. The OP was not insulting anyone, nor proposing something in anyway unreasonable.

I can sympathize wanting to get the decision faster. You think Daddy is coming home with a present for you, and you want to find out what it is. Good luck on your applications.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:58 am

ahduth wrote:

Not sure how much time or effort you put into your application process, but many people will have spent quite a bit of time on. Not only that, but it is a major career step for many people, in which they may be quite emotionally invested.

I understand a lot of you are squeaky little undergraduates, gunning their way into the best little law school their numbers will get them into. But you could show people a little respect. The OP was not insulting anyone, nor proposing something in anyway unreasonable.

I can sympathize wanting to get the decision faster. You think Daddy is coming home with a present for you, and you want to find out what it is. Good luck on your applications.

lol at using maturity as an insult in the most immature post ITT.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:02 am

+1

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:51 am

ahduth wrote:

Mature answers don't usually get replies.

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:04 am

ahduth wrote:

And it made us smile!
But it's sadly found,
The rejection pile."

And then they hand you some flowers and a teddy bear with a frowny face or something.

TCR. So long as the last line is delivered in a deep baritone.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:36 am

buckilaw wrote:
ahduth wrote:

And it made us smile!
But it's sadly found,
The rejection pile."

TCR. So long as the last line is delivered in a deep baritone.

lol

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”