Law Decisions via Email - Declining respect for us?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
r6_philly

Re: Law Decisions via Email - Declining respect for us?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:46 am

fastforward wrote:^Why the B?

So the schools don't know which other schools he cc'ed. Be polite.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:48 am

HopefulFish wrote:I can totally see cutting costs, expedience, and going green thing regarding usage of paper, but decisions via Email... really?

The process of applying and reviewing electronically makes perfect sense, but I feel like over time the applicants are treated as no more than just numbers. Don't we deserve at least a letter in a stamped envelope? It's not like they're giving us a break in increasing application fees. It totally loses the professional and personal touch to this arduous process. What do yall think?

OP, in this century, it is 100% professional and acceptable to communicate over email. There is no respect lost. We just finished a major partnership between major publishers - old media companies mind you - that was done over emails, phone calls, and 1 face-to-face. The contract and letter of intent both came over emails. And we are 2 miles away. Welcome to post Y2K.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:57 am

If they snail mail me my rejection I'm going to be even more pissed-off.

Email please.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:06 am

Phone call's even faster.

Make it happen!

"You're in. See you in fall!"

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:17 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Phone call's even faster.

Make it happen!

Yale calls 200+. Stanford calls 500+. Harvard calls 1300+ then 800+. If you are lower T14, you call maybe 2000+. I don't know about you but that's alot of calls. My call from Texas was short and straight. It was very nice to be called, but I still needed an email with all the information I wanted.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:21 am

r6_philly wrote:

Make it happen!

Yale calls 200+. Stanford calls 500+. Harvard calls 1300+ then 800+. If you are lower T14, you call maybe 2000+. I don't know about you but that's alot of calls. My call from Texas was short and straight. It was very nice to be called, but I still needed an email with all the information I wanted.

Similar volume to what I did as a telemarketer in a given week. Our typical volume for a work week (40~ hours) was 900-1100 calls. If a then-low-paid telemarketer can do that with the mind to SELL something, a school like Stanford can make 500 calls to inform someone of a life-altering decision.

But then again, I'm a hard worker and from what I've seen so far in this life time, most administrative assistants are not. LOL.

That said... I heard that UCLA calls people, so I am looking forward to it.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:25 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Similar volume to what I did as a telemarketer in a given week. Our typical volume for a work week (40~ hours) was 900-1100 calls. If a then-low-paid telemarketer can do that with the mind to SELL something, a school like Stanford can make 500 calls to inform someone of a life-altering decision.

But then again, I'm a hard worker and from what I've seen so far in this life time, most administrative assistants are not. LOL.

That is an horrible comparison. Deans call admitted students. Just because someone who is paid to do that work can do it doesn't mean people in deans' position would be willing to do it. After you become a lawyer, would you conduct your own research and draft your own documents? After all, if a low-paid assistant or paralegal can do the same job X 3 times volume, then why do you need someone else to do it for you?

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:00 am

r6_philly wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Similar volume to what I did as a telemarketer in a given week. Our typical volume for a work week (40~ hours) was 900-1100 calls. If a then-low-paid telemarketer can do that with the mind to SELL something, a school like Stanford can make 500 calls to inform someone of a life-altering decision.

That is an horrible comparison. Deans call admitted students. Just because someone who is paid to do that work can do it doesn't mean people in deans' position would be willing to do it. After you become a lawyer, would you conduct your own research and draft your own documents? After all, if a low-paid assistant or paralegal can do the same job X 3 times volume, then why do you need someone else to do it for you?

Just because they aren't willing to do it doesn't mean that they shouldn't do it.

Regardless, if it is the case that only the deans make the phone calls, I suppose I can forgive them for going with the e-mail route. Maybe.

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:02 am

I want them to text me. I don't care if it just says "In" or "Out" or "WL"...Speed>all.

gbpackerbacker

Postby gbpackerbacker » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:02 am

If it bothers you so much then don't attend their law school. I'm sure they wont send a carrier pigeon with your final grades ever semester either.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:45 am

gbpackerbacker wrote:If it bothers you so much then don't attend their law school. I'm sure they wont send a carrier pigeon with your final grades ever semester either.

Oooh, I love the carrier pigeon with the grades angle. Really gives it that Dickensian twist, emphasizes that we'll all be living like Oliver Twist after getting these highly marketable degrees.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:49 am

Knock wrote:I prefer email too. Welcome to the 21st century OP.

+1

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:57 am

r6_philly wrote:

Make it happen!

I prefer phone calls as well. Are there any schools that actually email acceptances? If so, that is lame. IIRC I only got phone calls and snail mails for acceptances. The only emails I got were WLs.

Phone calls add a touch of class to your admissions process. There is nothing like the two biggest phone calls I received during the app cycle. UVa call 4 days after I sent in my app (complete shock), and U of C call popping up on my TV's caller idea out of the clear blue sky. Most ridiculous excitement ever. It all feels a lot more special that way.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:11 am

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:
Just because they aren't willing to do it doesn't mean that they shouldn't do it.

Regardless, if it is the case that only the deans make the phone calls, I suppose I can forgive them for going with the e-mail route. Maybe.

On the other hand, just because there is no reason why they shouldn't do it, does not mean there is a reason why they should do it.

They run the schools, they should do what they think they should do. They don't get paid to call you, they get paid to admit you. There is no reason to expect a phone call unless you 1) applied by phone, or 2) did a phone interview.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 am

Rand M. wrote:I prefer phone calls as well. Are there any schools that actually email acceptances? If so, that is lame. IIRC I only got phone calls and snail mails for acceptances. The only emails I got were WLs.

Phone calls add a touch of class to your admissions process. There is nothing like the two biggest phone calls I received during the app cycle. UVa call 4 days after I sent in my app (complete shock), and U of C call popping up on my TV's caller idea out of the clear blue sky. Most ridiculous excitement ever. It all feels a lot more special that way.

Many of us don't take personal calls during the day from unknown numbers. Many more are in class all day. Email however, is more immediate than the phone.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:13 am

whymeohgodno wrote:I want them to text me. I don't care if it just says "In" or "Out" or "WL"...Speed>all.

Status checkers should have a "txt update" option! :idea:

Let me patent that first.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:18 am

r6_philly wrote:
Rand M. wrote:I prefer phone calls as well. Are there any schools that actually email acceptances? If so, that is lame. IIRC I only got phone calls and snail mails for acceptances. The only emails I got were WLs.

Many of us don't take personal calls during the day from unknown numbers. Many more are in class all day. Email however, is more immediate than the phone.

UVa asks (by email) you to call them whenever you get a chance--problem solved.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 am

dude, snail mail is the thing of the past.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:20 am

Rand M. wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

UVa asks (by email) you to call them whenever you get a chance--problem solved.

Which is basically an admission-by-email; who want want to put themselves through rejecting people by phone?

The call is still awesome, though.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:49 am

I agree that acceptance phone calls can make all the difference for these schools, especially if you've ended up being accepted to several in that range. Everyone seems to talk about getting the JR2 or their call from Dean Tom.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:02 pm

Northwestern just massmails out acceptances.

If (LSAT >170) && (WE >=2.0);
then accept();

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:03 pm

They never had respect for us. hth

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern just massmails out acceptances.

then accept();

But then they send you the swanky portfolio thing...is carrying that around campus like wearing a shirt with the name of the band on it to that band's concert?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:41 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Northwestern just massmails out acceptances.

then accept();

But then they send you the swanky portfolio thing...is carrying that around campus like wearing a shirt with the name of the band on it to that band's concert?

I've never seen one in the wild. I'd use it, it's nice. People wear they free Tshirt they give us at orientation, and people seem to wear Northwestern sweatshirts they bought on their own.

kiniru

Postby kiniru » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:24 pm

ahduth wrote:
gbpackerbacker wrote:If it bothers you so much then don't attend their law school. I'm sure they wont send a carrier pigeon with your final grades ever semester either.

Oooh, I love the carrier pigeon with the grades angle. Really gives it that Dickensian twist, emphasizes that we'll all be living like Oliver Twist after getting these highly marketable degrees.

I want an owl... just like Hogwarts :lol:

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”