Do HYS law schools favor people from their own UG?? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ckdgusdl88

New

Do HYS law schools favor people from their own UG??

Post by ckdgusdl88 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:15 pm

I have noticed that at HLS, people who went to H UG substantially outnumber people who went to Y UG.
The reverse is true for YLS.
In both programs, H and Y UGs are the top two represented schools.
I haven't been able to acquire similar data for S.

Is this pattern the result of "favoritism" on the part of LS adcoms for their own UGs, or is this just because H and Y UG graduates just love their alma mator so much?

Platinum

Re: Do HYS law schools favor people from their own UG??

Post by 2014 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Short answer: No
Long answer: Maybe a little

ckdgusdl88

New

Post by ckdgusdl88 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:18 pm

But Yale UG people outnumber Harvard UG people at YLS, even though Yale UG is smaller than Harvard's!

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:19 pm

prolly a bit a both, but i'm pretty sure HYP UGs get a bit more favoritism for the HY law schools. this is demonstrated by the slightly laxed GPA standards they impose upon such students (of which i keep hearing about constantly on TLS).

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Yes. Anecdotal.
Last edited by neonx on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:22 pm

I know someone with a 177/4.0 from Yale UG who got rejected from Yale...

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:23 pm

i also think that since the schools r huge rivals, a lot of students who end up getting in to those schools will more likely choose their alma mater. i've heard stories on decisions being made like this, so apparently it makes a big enough diff to some students. that probably accounts for some of the skewness that ur talkin of

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Post by fugitivejammer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:24 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:I know someone with a 177/4.0 from Yale UG who got rejected from Yale...

Fail

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:34 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:i also think that since the schools r huge rivals, a lot of students who end up getting in to those schools will more likely choose their alma mater. i've heard stories on decisions being made like this, so apparently it makes a big enough diff to some students. that probably accounts for some of the skewness that ur talkin of
You, sir, have the boorish manners of a Yalie!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hattori Hanzo

Silver

Post by Hattori Hanzo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:35 pm

neonx wrote:Yes. Anecdotal.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:41 pm

The answer is Yes and its not just anecdotal.

H UG has a law school application chart (internally used) for applicants to HLS and it consistently shows that you don't need as good numbers as other applicants to have very good odds of admittance (say a 3.85, 173 or a 3.9, 170 H applicant is equivalent to a 3.9, 173 regular)

whymeohgodno

Gold

Post by whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:42 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:The answer is Yes and its not just anecdotal.

H UG has a law school application chart (internally used) for applicants to HLS and it consistently shows that you don't need as good numbers as other applicants to have very good odds of admittance (say a 3.85, 173 or a 3.9, 170 H applicant is equivalent to a 3.9, 173 regular)
Source?

s0ph1e2007

Silver

Post by s0ph1e2007 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:50 pm

fugitivejammer wrote:prolly a bit a both, but i'm pretty sure HYP UGs get a bit more favoritism for the HY law schools. this is demonstrated by the slightly laxed GPA standards they impose upon such students (of which i keep hearing about constantly on TLS).
ugh
no

I mean yes they do like their undergrads (not too much though) but the grade thing has to do with it being a very very difficult school where an equally good performance means a lower GPA than another school.
This is what HYS say, so it's not just random conjecture.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

iYale

New

Post by iYale » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Perhaps they assume that people who attend HYS UG are of a better stock academically and are better prepared than their counterparts. But honestly I can't see them sacrificing an academic all star elsewhere for an underachieving HYS undergrad. I could be wrong though.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:57 pm

Nevermind.
Last edited by neonx on Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:59 pm

whymeohgodno wrote:

Source?
Take a look at LSN. HY accept lots of 3.9+/170-171 types from HYP, but others typically need 172-173 to be competitive.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:59 pm

neonx wrote:

Please, as an undergrad, I've seen these the Harvard "grids." There isn't much of a difference.
Well depends on your perspective: a 3.9, 170 H applicant being equal to a 3.9, 173 isn't much of a difference on the face of it, but if you consider how many applicants are bunched within that number range it becomes pretty substantial.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:03 pm

As a tiebreaker, yes. Ivies seem to prefer people from Ivies, and that's true of their own as well as other Ivy schools. H will favor someone from HYP over someone from Podunk U, as a tiebreaker.

There's no tie to break, though, if the HYP student has lower numbers. If both are 3.8x/170 they'll prefer the Ivy, so Ivies might get the bubble spots, but if the HYP kid is 3.4/166, being from HYP won't matter a lick, he's out on numbers before they even look at where he went.

neonx

Silver

Post by neonx » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:05 pm

vanwinkle wrote:As a tiebreaker, yes. Ivies seem to prefer people from Ivies, and that's true of their own as well as other Ivy schools. H will favor someone from HYP over someone from Podunk U, as a tiebreaker.

There's no tie to break, though, if the HYP student has lower numbers. If both are 3.8x/170 they'll prefer the Ivy, so Ivies might get the bubble spots, but if the HYP kid is 3.4/166, being from HYP won't matter a lick, he's out on numbers before they even look at where he went.
This.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:08 pm

vanwinkle wrote:As a tiebreaker, yes. Ivies seem to prefer people from Ivies, and that's true of their own as well as other Ivy schools. H will favor someone from HYP over someone from Podunk U, as a tiebreaker.

Huh, usually your right Vanwinkle, but in the specific case of H UG -> HLS it acts as more than a tiebreaker, which is why I think it counts as a "substantial difference."

However, for say P -> HLS it probably falls closer to the tiebreaker category.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:44 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:

Huh, usually your right Vanwinkle, but in the specific case of H UG -> HLS it acts as more than a tiebreaker, which is why I think it counts as a "substantial difference."

Are you saying H prefers its own over other Ivies, or that H gives its own a boost? I'd believe the former, but the latter makes me skeptical. However, I have no proof either way on this particular narrow point, so I must yield.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:54 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Na_Swatch wrote:

Are you saying H prefers its own over other Ivies, or that H gives its own a boost? I'd believe the former, but the latter makes me skeptical.
Actually those are basically the same thing (Say if H is preferred out of HYP which receives a slight boost compared to rest = H gives its own a boost).

But anyways, talking to an actual H UG who was applying last cycle with me, they said that the actual house charts show that you can miss medians a bit and still have an equivalent shot as those outside H at the medians (like the example i was talking about).

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Na_Swatch wrote:Actually those are basically the same thing (Say if H is preferred out of HYP which receives a slight boost compared to rest = H gives its own a boost).
Just to nitpick, tiebreaker priority and boost are not the same.

1) If H is preferred over YP only in a tiebreaker sense, then this will always happen:

3.9/170@H > 3.9/170@P > 3.9/170@State > 3.8/169@H

The 3.8/169 from H is winning tiebreakers but not getting a boost, so he still loses out.

2) If H is given a boost over others, then this might happen:

3.9/170@H > 3.8/169@H > 3.9/170@P > 3.9/170@State

Here the 3.8/169 from H is actually getting a boost that puts him over people with better numbers.
Na_Swatch wrote:But anyways, talking to an actual H UG who was applying last cycle with me, they said that the actual house charts show that you can miss medians a bit and still have an equivalent shot as those outside H at the medians (like the example i was talking about).
This sounds like you're saying scenario #2 above is true. I haven't personally heard of this happening, but I've also got no evidence to the contrary. It would also have to be limited in application even if it were true; they couldn't boost too many folks without it impacting their medians, especially since they have to save space under median for any diversity admits they want to make.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”