Should I add this to my applications that are already in?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ccoons24

Should I add this to my applications that are already in?

Postby ccoons24 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:53 pm

My resume that was submitted with my application to a handful of schools includes my current job as a legal assistant, but I have a second part-time job for another firm, doing document review/prep, as well. I didn't originally include it for a number of reasons, but now I'm re-considering. When I first submitted the apps I was still in sort of a probationary period and I haven't been doing it very long. Now, I'm past the probationary period and the attorney seems happy with my work, but I'm still not sure if it's worthy of letting the AdComms know, because I only work 10-20 hrs/wk (from home) on it and it seems silly to write the committees to add one line to my resume.

Thoughts?

Excellence = a Habit

Re: Should I add this to my applications that are already in?

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:59 pm

Hmmm. I would. It shows you're a hard worker (10-20 extra hours on top of what I assume is a full-time legal assistant job) and reinforces that you know what legal work is like (I assume you were already playing this card with your legal assistant job). People send updates for much less, I think. However, before you send an updated resume check to make sure each school would welcome it. I assumed that all schools would want updates but then found out that Chicago doesn't want anything new after you go complete except if they specifically ask you for it.

ccoons24

Postby ccoons24 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Thanks! Would you send in an entire resume with the new info on there, or just a brief explanation of the position on its own?

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:36 pm

I would send a new resume with the added line and say in the email that you're sending an updated resume to reflect a new/additional employment position (or something like that).

Knock

Postby Knock » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:25 pm

ccoons24 wrote:My resume that was submitted with my application to a handful of schools includes my current job as a legal assistant, but I have a second part-time job for another firm, doing document review/prep, as well. I didn't originally include it for a number of reasons, but now I'm re-considering. When I first submitted the apps I was still in sort of a probationary period and I haven't been doing it very long. Now, I'm past the probationary period and the attorney seems happy with my work, but I'm still not sure if it's worthy of letting the AdComms know, because I only work 10-20 hrs/wk (from home) on it and it seems silly to write the committees to add one line to my resume.

Thoughts?

I wouldn't go through the trouble, personally, it's not going to have a large impact on your cycle. Put you could if you felt inclined I suppose.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”