Devastated

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rmw308

Devastated

Postby rmw308 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:30 am

Hey all,

I took the LSAT in June and received a 164. I had been testing at around a 166 and was therefore reasonably content with my score, unsure if I would take again. Come July I began prepping again and started killing it. By October my PT average was 168/169.

Somehow, and I am still unsure how this happened (Partially misbubbled) I got a 160! on the October Test. I was devastated to say the least. I am hesitant to take it again in December for fear that this could happen again. A few questions...

Do I need an addendum for the 160? Should I say I misbubbled?

With a 164/3.7 from a t-20 undergrad and relevent work experience do I have a prayer at UCLA early decision?

If I am looking to get accepted into Georgetown Parttime am I better off checking, "PT" or "Both" on the application?

rqstnnlitnmnt

Re: Devastated

Postby rqstnnlitnmnt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:42 am

how many did you misbubble? are you sure that was what happened?

rmw308

Postby rmw308 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:53 am

Yes, I misbubbled a handful, not exactly sure how many.

My major question is will this 160 negatively a 164, or will they merely look at the 164.

rqstnnlitnmnt

Postby rqstnnlitnmnt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:04 am

was just trying to get more information about advising you re: retaking.

they will definitely look at both scores and depending on the school might average it together. if you go ahead with these numbers, an addendum might be a good idea but at the same time it might just seem like making excuses since the misbubbling was your fault and it's not like you got mono the week before.

your PT average may have been high 160s but test day is a totally different story depending on how you studied. I was trying to get at the number of misbubbles you think you had to get at whether or not the misbubbling really made the difference. Say you misbubbled 10 - you have a good case that your next score will be higher. Say you misbubbled 4 - then it's not so clear and your latest score probably should be around what you got before. I took the October 2010 test and there were some weird questions and time-consuming games. Your average PT score is just that: an average. One of my outliers was a freaking 159 and the highest PT score I got was a 178. Go figure.

My advice: take the Dec. test. Don't freak about misbubbling and see if you get in the 160s again. Without information about how you studied (how many PTs you took, the conditions, what other supplementals you used) it's hard to say what your prospects are, but my advice is to take at least 10 more PTs under real conditions, go through EVERY answer and explain in writing the reasoning behind it. Make sure you know everything about every answer. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”