NYU Early Decision.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FlamingCow

NYU Early Decision.

Postby FlamingCow » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 am

Does anyone have an idea how ED affects your chances at NYU? I've heard conflicting ideas -- NYU's website says it doesn't matter a lot, but they could just be blowing smoke. Intuitively, it seems like that's the strongest "Why X" effort you could make because you're agreeing to pay them full tuition for three years, regardless. Anyone have any anecdotes or insight? Would it make more of a difference for a borderline applicant (ie, 3.7, 165/170)?

sgtgrumbles

Re: NYU Early Decision.

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:05 am

The consensus seems to be that it won't provide a huge boost, but anecdotal evidence shows you might get a small one. Splitters are apparently served better than other candidates by doing NYU ED. If it makes you feel better, I've agonized over whether to do it and decided not to. I'm willing to take my chances RD to have a shot at MVP money.

Edit: also, I'm afraid to say 3.7 and 170 on a retake doesn't give you good chances at all, but if it's your number one choice, go for it. I don't think you'd be forgoing money except at T14-T12 or so.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:20 am

Good advice, thanks. Right now I think I'd pay sticker for NYU (or Chicago for that matter), but I might wish I held off if I can squeeze out even a little MVP money. It probably wouldn't be much, if any, anyway. I have one of the few softs that *may* give me a little boost (Peace Corps) so I really don't know how to gauge my chances, or if I should factor that in at all.

What are your numbers, if you don't mind my asking?

sgtgrumbles

Postby sgtgrumbles » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:25 am

I'm 3.58 and 174. Peace corps may be a slight, slight boost, but I wouldn't factor it into your chances or you might mislead yourself. Unfortunately all of T14 has been raising their LSAT medians recently, so 170 isn't what it used to be. Make sure you check Law School Numbers to see how people with your stats fared last cycle.

plenipotentiary

Postby plenipotentiary » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:40 am

sgtgrumbles wrote:I'm 3.58 and 174. Peace corps may be a slight, slight boost, but I wouldn't factor it into your chances or you might mislead yourself. Unfortunately all of T14 has been raising their LSAT medians recently, so 170 isn't what it used to be. Make sure you check Law School Numbers to see how people with your stats fared last cycle.

Actually, I think Chicago's medians dropped last year, oddly enough.

FlamingCow

Postby FlamingCow » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:47 am

Yeah, a 170 doesn't seem as shiny as it once did. I'll check out LSN again, but I wanted to ask here -- are my regular decision chances at MVP decent as they are, or should I switch my ED focus to that range? Or could I screw myself out of money by doing that?

Another thought -- would I fare any better with an ED at Chicago than NYU?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”