Take a year off and teach English in China? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
kpuc

Bronze

Take a year off and teach English in China?

Post by kpuc » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:56 am

Rather than apply with a relatively late app in early January (due to a Dec retake) and deal with decreased admissions and scholarship chances, I'm now considering taking the Dec LSAT, and taking a year off to teach English in China. That way, I can also apply ED to a slight reach school (money's not really an issue, though a scholarship would be nice), and maximize my chances of getting into the best school possible.

Another benefit is that by doing this, I can honestly think of my slightly disappointing Oct LSAT as a blessing-in-disguise, since it forced me to consider taking another year off.

Sound like a good idea?

fugitivejammer

Bronze

Re: Take a year off and teach English in China?

Post by fugitivejammer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:58 am

you convinced ME :)

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:53 am

Spending a couple years teaching English abroad is the best choice I made.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:00 am

Just dont work for Kid Castle :twisted:

Universities and high schools are the best in my opinion. Private schools for children under 17 were all horrible in my experince.
Xi'an is nice and cheap, if you dont mind meat on a stick and noodles. Great mountains and history. I want to go back :( I dont belong in america :D

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:11 am

DieAntwoord wrote:Just dont work for Kid Castle :twisted:

Universities and high schools are the best in my opinion. Private schools for children under 17 were all horrible in my experince.
Xi'an is nice and cheap, if you dont mind meat on a stick and noodles. Great mountains and history. I want to go back :( I dont belong in america :D
This. Don't go with private schools or kid schools. The money can be great, but these places fold like hotcakes and sometimes strand foreign teachers in China without the promised ticket home.

I teach at a small university and it's great. Xi'an is a great place to go. If you want to maximize $$, aim for central and western China. There is a tremendous shortage of foreign teachers once you get beyond the coast, so they pay well and every thing costs much less than Beijing/Shanghai/etc.

DieAntwoord

Bronze

Post by DieAntwoord » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:37 am

They hired me with another teacher who they promply fired (they had one spot and wanted to pick). They kicked him out of his apartment. His wallet was stolen at the school and he had no way of getting money from home. He ended up living off of qual eggs and going to random schools trying to get a job in english. He also didnt have a laptop. So I would meet him in McDonalds and let him use mine and give him money. He took up the drink and was getting into fights with other expats. He is now a spy for the chinese governmern in canada. .... Ok that last part is not true but the rest is.
be careful.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”