Addendum for Poor Academic Performance

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Addendum for Poor Academic Performance

Postby oreo3405 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:52 pm

How does this sound? Any input is appreciated.

College is a time of self-discovery, but unfortunately life can turn in unexpected ways. While attempting to figure out my major, adapting to being away from home and taking multiple challenging classes, I had many issues physically which paved a bumpy road in my academic career. During the past four years I had a plethora of health issues. I had gall bladder surgery removed October of 2008, which prior to that date, provided me with unprecedented issues. I also had many physically draining side effects to a medication I was put on to remedy these unknown problems. I had numerous kidney stones and infections, due to family history over the course of the past few years. These matters combined caused many unwanted stresses and hurdles with my studies, but I persisted with the desire to finish on time within four years. My grade point average is less then my personal best, and it is not an accurate account of my capabilities as a dedicated and articulate student. I have had personal successes during my academic career, and plan to finish my senior year to proper potential of my personal goals and satisfaction. My current grade point average does not truly reflect my developed analytical abilities as a dedicated and passionate upcoming student of law. I have committed my educational career on understanding our judicial system, constitution and processes with the overall ambition to succeed as a law student. Please take this addendum into account when evaluating my overall application. Thank you for the consideration.

Re: Addendum for Poor Academic Performance

Postby kalvano » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:11 pm

During my first year of undergraduate, I was unfortunately struck by several health issues. I was on medication which was physically exhausting prior to having my gallbladder removed. In addition, I had numerous kidney stones and infections. These medical issues caused me to under-perform for my first year, but have subsequently been resolved and my academic performance since is more representative of my capabilities. It is my hope that the admissions committee will take into account these circumstances when considering my GPA. Thank you for your time and consideration.

You're not writing prose, you're explaining something. Be clear and concise.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”