What do fee waivers really mean??

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
girlonfire

What do fee waivers really mean??

Postby girlonfire » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Before you guys start posting about how dumb my question is... I know what a fee-waiver is.

I'm just curious about the following:

How often do you get a fee-waiver and get rejected after applying?

Is it time to get your hopes up when your dream school (which your lower-than-expected LSAT score made even more unreachable) sends you a fee-waiver?

Is it just a formality?

cowgirl_bebop

Re: What do fee waivers really mean??

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:23 pm

girlonfire wrote:Before you guys start posting about how dumb my question is... I know what a fee-waiver is.

Is it time to get your hopes up when your dream school (which your lower-than-expected LSAT score made even more unreachable) sends you a fee-waiver?

Is it just a formality?

1) It all depends. If you have a scores well within the schools range and get a fee waiver, your chances of getting accepted are high. To be honest, fee waivers do not increase your chance of admission. Dont put any stock into them.

2) No, its not time to get your hopes up. Keep your hopes exactly where they were.

3) Yes.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:29 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
girlonfire wrote:Before you guys start posting about how dumb my question is... I know what a fee-waiver is.

Is it just a formality?

1) It all depends. If you have a scores well within the schools range and get a fee waiver, your chances of getting accepted are high. To be honest, fee waivers do not increase your chance of admission. Dont put any stock into them.

2) No, its not time to get your hopes up. Keep your hopes exactly where they were.

3) Yes.

Hahaha that's kinda what I was expecting, but I can't shake the feeling that if they're sending you a waiver, you're a tiny bit better off than someone with the same numbers, and no waiver... maybe I'm making stuff up to feel better about my life...

Awesome avatar by the way. Spike is my imaginary husband.

The real question is, why do law schools enjoying messing with your head so much?

bigben

Postby bigben » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:35 pm

They really mean that you don't have to pay the fee.

No, they don't mean anything else at all. Fair question I guess, if you're completely unfamiliar with law school admissions.

Remember they like more applicants because it boosts their selectivity ranking.
Last edited by bigben on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 pm

girlonfire wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Is it just a formality?

3) Yes.

Hahaha that's kinda what I was expecting, but I can't shake the feeling that if they're sending you a waiver, you're a tiny bit better off than someone with the same numbers, and no waiver... maybe I'm making stuff up to feel better about my life...

Awesome avatar by the way. Spike is my imaginary husband.

The real question is, why do law schools enjoying messing with your head so much?

LOL, so you're messing around with MY husband?

They do it a) to actually attract people with good numbers and b) to attract people with borderline numbers so they can seem exclusive. A lot of people with dicey chances will send an app if it's free.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”