The Big Question. is UCLA worth it?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Is UCLA worth Sticker (should i ED)?

Yes, UCLA/Sticker (reach school) >> $$$ @ Loyola/Pepperdine
71%
No, Your job prospects suck at both at least keep the $$$
15%
No, Take your chances and maybe get small $ somewhere else
15%

Total votes: 41

JD=Doctor

The Big Question. is UCLA worth it?

Postby JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:01 pm

I have been making a few post in the past few days trying to make up my mind.

i have a 166 (re-take in december - PT avg 168/9 - , but assuming thats my number) with a 3.75 (ucla)

I want to work in LA so job prospects out of SoCal do not bother me.

I know my chances at UCLA will only be decent with an ED. Do i do it? Do i commit right now to being Happy with being accepted to UCLA at sticker $100,000++ debt?

Reasons both ways would be appreciated.
The 2nd "No" includes USC and pushing for $$ their
Last edited by JD=Doctor on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

r6_philly

Re: The Big Question. is UCLA worth it?

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:05 pm

Where is the option for USC?

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:08 pm

r6_philly wrote:Where is the option for USC?

No, take your chances somewhere else and maybe get $.

I'v decided with $ being equal ucla>usc

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:09 pm

Well, I am ED'ing to UCLA. UCLA is my top choice by far, and I know that my LSAT is on the low side for them. I am hoping my 4.00+ GPA, undergraduate activities/awesomeness, and military experience are worth 3-5 points on the LSAT and they accept me.

For ME, being a student at UCLA Law is worth full freight.

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Well, I am ED'ing to UCLA. UCLA is my top choice by far, and I know that my LSAT is on the low side for them. I am hoping my 4.00+ GPA, undergraduate activities/awesomeness, and military experience are worth 3-5 points on the LSAT and they accept me.

Good Luck hopefully you get in... let me know if you do. It would be awesome to meet you if i end up there too!

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:
Aggiegrad2011 wrote:Well, I am ED'ing to UCLA. UCLA is my top choice by far, and I know that my LSAT is on the low side for them. I am hoping my 4.00+ GPA, undergraduate activities/awesomeness, and military experience are worth 3-5 points on the LSAT and they accept me.

Good Luck hopefully you get in... let me know if you do. It would be awesome to meet you if i end up there too!

Here's to hoping! I am an Epstein applicant as well, I visited the center in Los Angeles and spent a day tooling around with some of the students and I was impressed beyond belief. I am DYING to be a Law Bruin. Same to you!

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:17 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:

According to imperfect data analysis, there is a much greater chance for you to get into USC than UCLA RD. With ED you stand to receive no money at UCLA. With RD, you stand to have some chance of receiving money.

I wouldn't lump USC with the rest of the school with $ because if you get $30k from USC vs. $30k from say GWU, I would say yes to USC and no to GWU because you want SoCal. I don't have hard data, only the self-reported employment info, but USC places similar to UCLA so if you can get in RD (almost a shoe in) with money I would probably take that.

But if you are set against USC, then I think UCLA is our only option, no need to think more.

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
JD=Doctor wrote:

According to imperfect data analysis, there is a much greater chance for you to get into USC than UCLA RD. With ED you stand to receive no money at UCLA. With RD, you stand to have some chance of receiving money.

I wouldn't lump USC with the rest of the school with $ because if you get $30k from USC vs. $30k from say GWU, I would say yes to USC and no to GWU because you want SoCal. I don't have hard data, only the self-reported employment info, but USC places similar to UCLA so if you can get in RD (almost a shoe in) with money I would probably take that.

But if you are set against USC, then I think UCLA is our only option, no need to think more.

I really do like USC. Do you feel i am "shoe in"? Yes my GPA is above their 75th% but my LSAT 1 pt bellow their median (and LSN seems to indicate that they love their 167+) Would i be able to negotiate 20-50% Scholly would i have any leverage (ie full rides at lower ranked schools)

A Half Scholarship at USC would be roughly 77,000$ total which is significantly less then UCLAs full sticker. Do i have a shot?

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Awesome 100+ views brings 6 replies :shock:

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:03 pm

Well it looks better in 08-09:
http://usc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applica ... ,8&type=jd

In 09-10 too many not updated

That 1 point probably really does make a huge difference. However, I still believe you have a decent chance getting in RD at USC while almost no chance at UCLA. But doing RD does give you the option to bargain. Maybe with a UCI offer or something. I would probably take a shot with other offers. Going to UCLA, while great, does not guarantee a job that would justify sticker, so you should really consider other options. You could always retake, then it would really make no sense to ED.

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:09 pm

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic because my numbers are only slightly better than yours, but your numbers are not that out of reach for UCLA. You're only a few points under their medians. You need to remember that LSN/LSP is based on data for a self-selecting group of people. My pre-law advisor (not that pre-law people are always correct, but she's been great overall) seemed to think that UCLA was a target for me, so I imagine that it would be a target/slight reach for you. Yes, it would suck to apply RD and always wonder what would have happened if you would have applied ED, but you could feasibly get in RD and get some $$.

Aggiegrad2011

Postby Aggiegrad2011 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:42 pm

The only thing bugging me about applying ED is not knowing if I got in anywhere else. Maybe UVA would've taken me, maybe Berk would've... but ED rather precludes those possibilities. It doesn't particularly matter because I LOVE UCLA but it'd be nice to at least know if I got in anywhere else.

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:46 pm

r6_philly wrote:Well it looks better in 08-09:

In 09-10 too many not updated

That 1 point probably really does make a huge difference. However, I still believe you have a decent chance getting in RD at USC while almost no chance at UCLA. But doing RD does give you the option to bargain. Maybe with a UCI offer or something. I would probably take a shot with other offers. Going to UCLA, while great, does not guarantee a job that would justify sticker, so you should really consider other options. You could always retake, then it would really make no sense to ED.

RTFM wrote:Maybe I'm being overly optimistic because my numbers are only slightly better than yours, but your numbers are not that out of reach for UCLA. You're only a few points under their medians. You need to remember that LSN/LSP is based on data for a self-selecting group of people. My pre-law advisor (not that pre-law people are always correct, but she's been great overall) seemed to think that UCLA was a target for me, so I imagine that it would be a target/slight reach for you. Yes, it would suck to apply RD and always wonder what would have happened if you would have applied ED, but you could feasibly get in RD and get some $$.

Thank you both... eventually got to add up the pros and cons of each im slightly leaning to just RD the main factor being that i will probably take the December test and hopefully get into 168+ range..

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:58 pm

How about UCI and their guaranteed 1/3 tuition (maybe more depending on your final numbers/need) ?

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:09 pm

trudat15 wrote:How about UCI and their guaranteed 1/3 tuition (maybe more depending on your final numbers/need) ?

i am applying and need to look into them more rigorously if/when admitted since they are a new school (they are just a side thought as of now))

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:52 pm

my $.02:
UCLA ED will probably get you in with $0.
Skip the ED and apply RD to both UCLA and USC and I imagine both might bite with $ from USC (maybe 30K).

mst

Postby mst » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:09 am

With a 166, 3.75: I say you're rejected at UCLA; 50/50 between waitlist and accept at USC. No money at either. ED if you want, but either way I think there is a strong chance you get locked out at both schools this cycle. ED at UCLA in my opinion (unless USC had ED in which case you want to consider either), if going to either USC/UCLA is vital to you (and it should be).

whymeohgodno

Postby whymeohgodno » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:12 am

UCLA medians were 3.79/168. You're below both medians. I would ED - I don't you getting in through RD.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:21 am

UCLA's medians are 3.77/168, so you won't get in with or without ED. USC is also a long shot without a 167+ LSAT. Either retake or aim lower.

JJDancer

Postby JJDancer » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:33 am

Edited for numbers.

Thanks for your responses all. Good luck OP.
Last edited by JJDancer on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

JD=Doctor

Postby JD=Doctor » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:41 am

im_blue wrote:UCLA's medians are 3.77/168, so you won't get in with or without ED. USC is also a long shot without a 167+ LSAT. Either retake or aim lower.

if it is 3.77 i think i can meet that after my fall grades ...i just put my grades in LSP GPA thing

i would crush USCs gpa and be at the median for ucla... Officially signed up for DECEMBER! Study Hard -- get that 170

167 is the magic number for usc (you should be in as long as your PS and LORs didnt describe you as a nazi)
and as you can see your very median-ish at ucla (for sure a WL atleast)

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:45 am

JJDancer wrote:ok these responses are worrying me. I thought I had a good shot at UCLA + USC.

You should easily get into USC and have a decent chance at UCLA.
EDIT: privacy
Last edited by im_blue on Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:25 am

Not worth sticker, but you probably won't get in anyways.

mst

Postby mst » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:14 am

rad law wrote:Not worth sticker, but you probably won't get in anyways.

1st Part - Up for debate. I completely disagree, especially with your numbers if you got in.
2nd Part - With your current numbers, this is true.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:34 am

mst wrote:
rad law wrote:Not worth sticker, but you probably won't get in anyways.

1st Part - Up for debate. I completely disagree, especially with your numbers if you got in.
2nd Part - With your current numbers, this is true.

Objectively not worth it. All that debt for a 30 something percent chance at NLJ250 employment back when the economy was good? Plus California's economy is in the shitter right now? Any second I expect California to degenerate into a lawless post-apocalyptic wasteland where dudes ride around on junked out vehicles fighting each other for gas, Road Warrior style. Not worth sticker.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”