Do schools take into acct if your UG doesn't offer a 4.3? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
pppokerface

Bronze

Do schools take into acct if your UG doesn't offer a 4.3?

Post by pppokerface » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Probably not, but might as well ask =(

Ragged

Silver

Re: Do schools take into acct if your UG doesn't offer a 4.3?

Post by Ragged » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Pissed about this too, but the answer is a harsh no.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:35 pm

On the plus side, I think that more UGs don't offer a 4.3 than do...

lalalawya

Bronze

Post by lalalawya » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:37 pm

I was upset about this too, until I realized my A+'s will still count as a 4.3 to the LSAC eventhough my UG only counts them as a 4.0.

cmaas

Bronze

Post by cmaas » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:50 pm

so every time I am about to get an A in a class, I email the prof and ask him/her to give me an A+. They are usually fine with it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:52 pm

cmaas wrote:so every time I am about to get an A in a class, I email the prof and ask him/her to give me an A+. They are usually fine with it.
lawlwut?

yeah adcomms dont take into account whether your school has A+'s or not...BUT they do get an academic summary showing the GPA breakdown of your school (or i think everyone from your school applying to law schools that yr)

so they'll technically know a 4.0 was the highest score i suppose...i wouldnt worry about it too much, there are rarely any 4.0+ ppl, and even fewer 4.1+...4.2 is a rare demon

Ragged

Silver

Post by Ragged » Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:47 am

DoubleChecks wrote:
cmaas wrote:so every time I am about to get an A in a class, I email the prof and ask him/her to give me an A+. They are usually fine with it.
lawlwut?

yeah adcomms dont take into account whether your school has A+'s or not...BUT they do get an academic summary showing the GPA breakdown of your school (or i think everyone from your school applying to law schools that yr)

so they'll technically know a 4.0 was the highest score i suppose...i wouldnt worry about it too much, there are rarely any 4.0+ ppl, and even fewer 4.1+...4.2 is a rare demon
but getting a 4.33 in some class might really bring your GPA up from, say, a C you got when you were in high school....

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:54 am

Yeah, I don't understand this personally. It's admittedly a bit of complaining on my part, but it's just very confusing. This isn't directly comparable, but students originating from 5.0 scale institutions aren't showing up with GPAs of 4.8. Similarly, I'm not sure how students from 4.33 scale institutions are showing up GPAs of 4.2. Neither of those GPAs are possible from a 4.0 scale school. I don't quite see why we're not rebasing the 4.33 scale to a 4.0 scale. I'd argue that maybe more UG institutions need to start offering A+ grades, but they seem like they're just silly grade inflation anyhow.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:46 pm

ahduth wrote:I don't quite see why we're not rebasing the 4.33 scale to a 4.0 scale.
Right. It makes no sense to base the scale on a 4.33 when that is quite literally impossible for some people to achieve.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bjc314

New

Post by bjc314 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:14 am

No schools that I know have above a 4.0 scale (then again I haven't looked into this). Your UG GPA will most likely be different than your LSAC gpa, because lsac uses a different formula than the 4.0 scale. For instance, most schools count an A+ as 4.0; LSAC counts it as 4.33. and the same goes minus grades, .33 is subtracted, so an A- would be 3.77. So people with Gpa's greater than 4.0 are people who have a number of A+'s This helped me enormously as my undergrad gpa was 3.88, and my LSAC gpa was 3.94 due to a handful of A+'s.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:08 am

I've heard that NYU actually does 4.33. My UG didn't give A+s at all, so it's really a moot point for me (and 0% of people at my UG graduate with a 4.0, so I'm pretty comfortable with my GPA even though it's a bit on the lower side).

But this is the point. It was feasibly possible for me to earn an A+ in a class in that I could theoretically have earned 100% in a class. But on my transcript, it shows up as an A and LSAC calculates it as such, and I think that this happens to a lot of people. Is it fair that your GPA got bumped a few points because your UG did list A+s on transcripts? I don't really think so.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 am

RTFM wrote:I've heard that NYU actually does 4.33. My UG didn't give A+s at all, so it's really a moot point for me (and 0% of people at my UG graduate with a 4.0, so I'm pretty comfortable with my GPA even though it's a bit on the lower side).

But this is the point. It was feasibly possible for me to earn an A+ in a class in that I could theoretically have earned 100% in a class. But on my transcript, it shows up as an A and LSAC calculates it as such, and I think that this happens to a lot of people. Is it fair that your GPA got bumped a few points because your UG did list A+s on transcripts? I don't really think so.
Same, but it's not going to help us at all.

RTFM

Bronze

Post by RTFM » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:56 pm

Knock wrote:
RTFM wrote:I've heard that NYU actually does 4.33. My UG didn't give A+s at all, so it's really a moot point for me (and 0% of people at my UG graduate with a 4.0, so I'm pretty comfortable with my GPA even though it's a bit on the lower side).

Same, but it's not going to help us at all.
I don't know, the 25th/median/75ths stats for people admitted from my UG have generally been a few (significant) points lower than the school's reported stats for the same incoming class.

Here's to hoping :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”