1 year Bachelors: is this a good or bad thing?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
NeighborGuy

1 year Bachelors: is this a good or bad thing?

Postby NeighborGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:29 pm

Here's the deal: I'm like the least traditional student ever. My undergrad college doesn't put a limit on transfer creds, so I was able to CLEP out of almost my whole degree and ended up with a General Business bachelors in less than 1 year for a few thousand bucks. As you all might imagine, it's less than worthless as a credential since it makes me a flight risk for many jobs and I don't have the benefit of career services, extracurriculars or fancy connections.

My question is: do you all think I can emphasize it successfully in my resume to where they think I'm a proactive and self-motivated learner, or are they just going to be snobs about it?

Obviously I can't conceal the whole thing, I'm just considering whether or not to try and play it up as an achievement.

DoubleChecks

Re: 1 year Bachelors: is this a good or bad thing?

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:31 pm

um, this will hurt you very badly.

if you have a very high GPA AND a very high LSAT...then maybe schools will admit you in SPITE of that 1 yr bachelors...but it will be something you have to overcome.

every adcomm i spoke to made it sound as if a 2 yr bachelors was already horrible because they have no idea how you would have actually done that THAT school, CLEPing out of everything...i cant imagine their reaction to 1 yr

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:40 pm

I wouldn't play it up as an achievement. You could set it up as something you've had to overcome.

Do you have WE? Or are you applying to law school at 19?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Most CLEP classes transfer as 100 level classes so basically you barely took any upper level courses. Most schools will take your CLEP test if it is above 50-60% and that equates to a C or so. Even if you have a 3.9 from 30 credits, it is entirely possible that your real GPA could be a 3, or even lower, because CLEP scores don't get reported and you could have just barely passed. CLEP only demonstrate competency at a passing level, it would be like getting an average rating as a foreign candidate - it is not going to do you any favors. I guess if you do well on the LSAT, and you are aiming for lower ranked schools they wouldn't care. But at T14 level I think you are going to make adcoms think twice before taking it seriously if at all. I mean there is a real possibility that you would get overwhelmed in law school and fail because you have not gone through any rigorous academic preparation in reading or writing (your business major isn't helping). I took 1 CLEP (the computer/IT one) for elective credit, and I scored 99 percentile even though I got maybe 30 questions wrong... So you could probably get 40% right and still receive the credit.

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:48 pm

I spent 4 years in the military after high school, then spent the year after that plowing through test-out credits like crazy. Got my degree earlier this year and I've been working here and there since then.

Also I'm not applying to anything spectacular, just the regional law school. My LSAT is 4 points above median.

One more thing: I was saying "clep" as a generality. Philly, you are correct: I couldn't have even gotten my undergrad without the upper level courses, which I got through conventional online courses, DANTES and ECE exams. Most people don't know what these are, but some of these are upper level. None of my CLEP tests counted towards my GPA.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:03 pm

I can understand the motivation, however I had my mind set on law school when I went back to school, and I didn't want to have to ask the same question later, so I took 90 credits in 18 month and finished my bachelors. I could have tested out of a lot of classes but I wanted my GPA to count. So I think in your situation, you can easily explain why you did what you did, but your GPA (whatever it is) may not carry much weight, and they may defer to your LSAT more. It works similarly with foreign applicants too since they don't have a context to judge your GPA with. But like I said, you may lack the reading/writing skills that law schools look for. If the GPA is high, then it may not hurt you much if at all, if it low though, don't expect it to be discounted. You can't really change anything, and since you are not young and did it instead of traditional college, I would just try to present it in the best light and hope they understand (they probably would)

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:07 pm

I disagree with what the rest of the fools said, I doubt it hurts you.

etown989

Postby etown989 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:28 pm

For a regional school I think this can be played up as an achievement along with the LSAT being higher than the median. How many points above their 75% is it? And maybe I missed this answer, but what was your gpa?

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:57 pm

My stats are: 159/3.34

The 75th percentile stats for the school I'm looking at are 157/3.58

I got totally robbed on this one ECE, and it tanked my GPA. :x Obviously I'm not shooting for big city lawyer glory here, since that's not realistic given my stats and history. I'm planning to go to U of Idaho, the only law school in my state. I've no delusions of riches and fame, just want the chance to finally focus and excel in one professional field after doing 3 or 4 completely different jobs since high school.

Do we think I should write an addendum to address the nature of my degree? I'm inclined to simply let them read my transcript and make their own judgment call, since I figure that's what they'll do anyway, but I don't know anything about adcomms.

ElvisAaron

Postby ElvisAaron » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:03 pm

You're fine, I did the same thing with the same purpose and I researched the hell out of it first.
I personally know someone else who did it with a TESC degree, and with their 166 LSAT it did not affect them at all and they got into 3 T1 schools with scholarship offers from all. I've spoken with multiple others online who have done it as well.
With a regional you should have no problem at all. You arent going to blow anyone away with those numbers, but you'll get admitted for sure.

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:18 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:You're fine, I did the same thing with the same purpose and I researched the hell out of it first.
I personally know someone else who did it with a TESC degree, and with their 166 LSAT it did not affect them at all and they got into 3 T1 schools with scholarship offers from all. I've spoken with multiple others online who have done it as well.
With a regional you should have no problem at all. You arent going to blow anyone away with those numbers, but you'll get admitted for sure.

That's encouraging! Thanks! :D

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:22 pm

ElvisAaron wrote:You're fine, I did the same thing with the same purpose and I researched the hell out of it first.

I'm with this guy here. I think you'll be OK.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:33 pm

Has LSAC calculated their version of your GPA, or is that the GPA you're referencing?

NeighborGuy

Postby NeighborGuy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:39 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Has LSAC calculated their version of your GPA, or is that the GPA you're referencing?

Just checked: LSAC GPA is 3.37, actually. I'd been waiting for them to post it and forgot about it.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:45 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:I disagree with what the rest of the fools said, I doubt it hurts you.

I dont know about this specific topic, but D. H2Oman helped me immensely when I was sending in my applications, so I'd trust his judgment

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:12 pm

actually, w/ the regional, military background, rough median numbers for the law school, it may not sink your ship

personally, i wouldnt go so far as to say it wouldnt hurt you, but in light of these facts, my original post is prob too pessimistic

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:58 am

DoubleChecks wrote:actually, w/ the regional, military background, rough median numbers for the law school, it may not sink your ship

personally, i wouldnt go so far as to say it wouldnt hurt you, but in light of these facts, my original post is prob too pessimistic

It's good to be optimistic on the inside, but approach/work the issue with a pessimistic view. Personal mantra.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:05 am

What regional school?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”