Does this Fee Waiver mean anything? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JD=Doctor

Bronze

Does this Fee Waiver mean anything?

Post by JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:22 pm

I know LS' send fee waivers so so that they can better their selectivity numbers.

When i usually get fee waivers they are short and too the point .... what do you all think about this email (my numbers are slightly bellow their medians) 166/3.75 (from ucla) compared to:

25th 50th 75th
GPA: 3.56 3.77 3.87
LSAT: 165 168 170

Dear ___,

We are writing to encourage you to apply to UCLA School of Law. Based on your performance on the LSAT you may be a competitive candidate for admittance.

We will waive our $75 application fee; simply complete our application using the LSDAS electronic application through LSAC at http://www.lsac.org. Your application fee will automatically be waived.

As you may know, UCLA Law is recognized as one of the nation’s top law schools and one of the finest in California . We would like to share with you a few exciting facts about our law school.

· UCLA School of Law is the youngest top law school in the country.

· The success of UCLA Law graduates is well known throughout the national and international employment market. For more information on Career Services, please visit http://www.law.ucla.edu/home/index.asp?page=10.

· UCLA Law students join the alumni network of approximately 14,000 alumni the day they begin law school.

· UCLA boasts more than 30 innovative and diverse clinical offerings including subjects such as Civil Rights Litigation, Criminal Defense, Environmental Law, Immigration Law, Human Rights, Mediation, Sports Law, and Trial Advocacy.

· The Law School provides students with a small, intimate learning environment which includes three small classes for the first year and upper-level courses that meet at professors’ homes.

· The curriculum also includes a number of joint degree programs with other UCLA departments on campus including the UCLA Anderson School of Management where one can earn a J.D./M.B.A. in four years.

· UCLA offers many diverse programs and centers including Business Law and Policy, Critical Race Studies, Entertainment and Media Law, Law and Philosophy, Public Interest Law and Policy, Environmental Law (which includes the Emmett Center on Climate Change and the Environment), International and Comparative Law, Sexual Orientation Law and Real Estate Law.

· UCLA Law offers a collegial environment that affords students many opportunities for participation and leadership in approximately 40 student organizations and 13 student-edited journals covering a broad spectrum of topics and interests.

· The Law School is nestled in a beautiful and safe residential neighborhood less than seven miles from the Pacific Ocean .

We encourage you to view our website at http://www.law.ucla.edu and also to schedule an appointment to visit the School of Law . We look forward to hearing from you and wish you all the best in your pursuit of a career in law!

Sincerely,

So and So.

whymeohgodno

Gold

Re: Does this Fee Waiver mean anything?

Post by whymeohgodno » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:26 pm

It's just a fee waiver.

padthai

Bronze

Post by padthai » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:33 pm

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I got the exact same email. It's just a basic template that they use to send to all the waiver qualifiers.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:34 pm

It does mean that they are going to waive your application fee, which is more than I got from them.

JD=Doctor

Bronze

Post by JD=Doctor » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:35 pm

padthai wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but I got the exact same email. It's just a basic template that they use to send to all the waiver qualifiers.
whymeohgodno wrote:It's just a fee waiver.

i understand when lower schools offer me waivers .. and im happy i got this waiver cause id be applying regardless and now saved $80 ... is there a reason they targeted me.

Can i ask what your numbers were that they sent you a fee waiver as well?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:37 pm

padthai

Bronze

Post by padthai » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:39 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:
padthai wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble, but I got the exact same email. It's just a basic template that they use to send to all the waiver qualifiers.

i understand when lower schools offer me waivers .. and im happy i got this waiver cause id be applying regardless and now saved $80 ... is there a reason they targeted me.

That's the spirit! $80 saved = 8 dinners.
Last edited by padthai on Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:43 pm

JD=Doctor wrote:

Because they know you have awesome softs that can contribute very important intangible assets to the university! Or to reject you and boost selectivity.

JJDancer

Gold

Post by JJDancer » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:44 pm

It's just the normal UCLA fee waiver email. They have another one where they say they might give you scholarship $$ too.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”