OMG--just got a fee waiver from my top school, but bad lsat?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
doubleL

OMG--just got a fee waiver from my top school, but bad lsat?

Postby doubleL » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:25 pm

Okay guys need some insight on what this means. I did horribly on my lsat. About 7 points below Temple's average. But, temple is my number one school (I have made them aware of this). PA resident. But they just sent me an email waiving my application fee. The text of the email talks a lot about PA residents receiving low cost tuition.

What does this mean? Do you think they know of my score? And if so, wtf! I am scheduled to retake in December so that I have a better chance of getting in, but for some reason I am encouraged.

Stats: double major: philosophy & political science, plus a minor.
GPA 3.60, 3.7 in Major
Awesome softs: Tutor at my school's writing center and I teach

Any help appreciated. No haters please, I'm bummed from my score already.

teaadntoast

Re: OMG--just got a fee waiver from my top school, but bad lsat?

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:28 pm

It means that Temple has waived your application fee. Nothing less, nothing more.

You likely received the e-mail based on demographic information pulled from your LSAC profile.

doubleL

Postby doubleL » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:29 pm

teaadntoast wrote:It means that Temple has waived your application fee. Nothing less, nothing more.

You likely received the e-mail based on demographic information pulled from your LSAC profile.

So not from Lsat score?

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:29 pm

I urge you to not read into a fee waiver. Think of it as a nice gesture, but a meaningless one. Fee waivers are often used strategically. Schools want to report a high selectivity rate. An easy way to do this is to solicit free applications. That way more students apply, which of course leads to more students getting rejected. And voila, they have a higher rejection (selectivity rate). So schools use those fee waivers very often, and not for the reasons we would like to think. That is why you would be better off to just take advantage of it, but not put any meaning on it.

albanach

Postby albanach » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:32 pm

doubleL wrote:Any help appreciated. No haters please, I'm bummed from my score already.

Lower ranked schools aren't going to fill up in the way T14 will.

Your GPA is right around their 75th percentile. Just work on getting that LSAT score up into their range. If you're already registered for Dec they probably won't consider your application until your result after Christmas.

As has been said, the fee waiver might not mean much.

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:33 pm

doubleL wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:It means that Temple has waived your application fee. Nothing less, nothing more.

So not from Lsat score?

It's possible that your LSAT score, though lower than Temple's average, fell within their band of acceptable numbers. eg: Temple pulls the info of applicants with a GPA above X and an LSAT above Y living in PA and shoots off a fee waiver.

What I'm getting at is that it's unlikely that the waiver had anything to do with your prior communications with the school - though I can't imagine those factor's wouldn't help you when you do apply.

Bottom line is that this is a frustratingly numbers driven process, and that you would be wise not to become unduly optimistic based on a fee waiver e-mail.

Study like a crazy person for the retake. I raised my score 8 points, so it's entirely possible that you'll wind up all set to go come Dec.

doubleL

Postby doubleL » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:36 pm

Yeah, I think that seems to be the consensus. It's weird though, I only became excited because its one of my top schools and they have a respectable legal writing program--something I can excel in. I figured damn, they may have saw my lsat score and still want me? haha. I will work to raise my lsat score up.

doubleL

Postby doubleL » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:39 pm

teaadntoast wrote:
doubleL wrote:

So not from Lsat score?

It's possible that your LSAT score, though lower than Temple's average, fell within their band of acceptable numbers. eg: Temple pulls the info of applicants with a GPA above X and an LSAT above Y living in PA and shoots off a fee waiver.

What I'm getting at is that it's unlikely that the waiver had anything to do with your prior communications with the school - though I can't imagine those factor's wouldn't help you when you do apply.

Bottom line is that this is a frustratingly numbers driven process, and that you would be wise not to become unduly optimistic based on a fee waiver e-mail.

Thank you. I appreciate this. And yes, I plan on studying like I've never studied before. What did you do to raise yours 8 points?

Study like a crazy person for the retake. I raised my score 8 points, so it's entirely possible that you'll wind up all set to go come Dec.

doubleL

Postby doubleL » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:42 pm

What did you do to raise your score 8 points??

teaadntoast

Postby teaadntoast » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:43 pm

doubleL wrote:What did you do to raise your score 8 points??

Self-study.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”