Pepperdine: Mission needs quick look! Applying today.

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
noahzak

Pepperdine: Mission needs quick look! Applying today.

Postby noahzak » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:48 pm

Pepperdine is a Christian university committed to the highest standards of academic excellence and Christian values, where students are strengthened for lives of purpose, service, and leadership.

Soooo....Is this a good response? I'm extremely wary of turning it in but I'm desperate at this point...

I have always been intrigued by morality as it is broken up into its two defining sects: Normative and descriptive. Certainly, morality’s complexity is more easily navigated when we encounter two possible ways to define it. In its descriptive sense, morality is defined as a code of conduct adhered to by a particular society. In my case, the rules of descriptive morality that were endorsed by the Afghan community in which I grew up showed me the complex link between morality and the law.
While no one would argue against the fact that certain things are both illegal and immoral, such as murder, other scenarios aren’t as straightforward. Within the Afghan-American community, the lines between normative and descriptive morality have always been somewhat blurred. If something was considered culturally wrong, for example, it was immediately forbidden, whether the act was illegal or not. Ultimately, in my experience, Afghan culture has always dictated morality, rather than morality ruling the culture. Growing up with this backwards interpretation, then, has given me respect for the straightforward concept of normative morality.
I respect the idea that something can be right or wrong regardless of what specific individuals think. For this reason, definitive statements in regard to the concept of ethics appeal to me, and in practicing law, I hope to be able to uphold this way of thinking. The Pepperdine School of Law embraces Christian values and upholds the highest standards of academic excellence, and I choose to look at the former in terms of morality.
To me, modern Christian values are in sync with a definitive idea of right and wrong, in terms of morality and ethics. I identify with the mission because I believe that one cannot live a life of purpose, service or leadership without possessing a strong, unwavering sense of morality, regardless of cultural norms or dictations. Despite an individual’s background or culture, a normative sense of morality should dictate the actions of most people, especially those who consider themselves worthy of interpreting the law.
Whether a certain act is condemned or embraced in a particular culture should never dictate an individual’s ability to objectively evaluate the legality of the situation. By embracing this belief, I think I will be able to effectively further the mission of Pepperdine.

cinefile 17

Re: Pepperdine: Mission needs quick look! Applying today.

Postby cinefile 17 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:50 pm

No thoughts. I just want to say I hate this question.

noahzak

Postby noahzak » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:00 pm

cinefile 17 wrote:No thoughts. I just want to say I hate this question.

You hate the question I asked, or you hate that we have to respond to this mission? Because clearly, I hate that I have to answer the mission as well. It has made me put off applying to Pepperdine for a month now.

Any advice would be appreciated!

noahzak

Postby noahzak » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:14 pm

Anyone?!? Please help!

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:18 pm

It'll work. Answers to this question have been all over the map, and haven't seemed to prevent anyone from getting in who actually answered it. (and had the numbers of course)

utilitarianjac

Postby utilitarianjac » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:08 pm

1ferret! wrote:It'll work. Answers to this question have been all over the map, and haven't seemed to prevent anyone from getting in who actually answered it. (and had the numbers of course)

I agree. This really isn't something you should stress over. Good luck!

noahzak

Postby noahzak » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks guys, just turned it in!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”