Fee Waivers

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sharpnsmooth

Fee Waivers

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:53 pm

Hey, I have been approached by some top schools I don't really have an interest in going to, and would prefer some other schools ranked a bit lower that I'd rather live in. Is getting into a higher ranked school good evidence with which to negotiate a larger scholarship hypothetically or is it wasting everybody's time to apply?

lzyovrachievr

Re: Fee Waivers

Postby lzyovrachievr » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Getting into higher ranked schools can get you more money if you leverage it right.

However, getting a fee waiver does not necessarily mean you're likely to get in. They may want you to apply because you're a good candidate or maybe just because they want to ding you and increase their selectivity.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:59 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:Getting into higher ranked schools can get you more money if you leverage it right.

However, getting a fee waiver does not necessarily mean you're likely to get in. They may want you to apply because you're a good candidate or maybe just because they want to ding you and increase their selectivity.

This. I just got a fee waiver from UVA. While I'm not an auto-reject, I'm far from an auto-admit.
Last edited by HeavenWood on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:02 pm

i feel ya, but i didn't get these waivers before i broke 170. not saying i'm a shoe in, but im pretty sure i have a chance.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:10 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:i feel ya, but i didn't get these waivers before i broke 170. not saying i'm a shoe in, but im pretty sure i have a chance.

You should, by all means, apply to schools you're interested in which have offered you fee waivers. Just don't be deluded into thinking you're necessarily an auto-admit. Especially at the top schools.

sharpnsmooth

Postby sharpnsmooth » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:30 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
sharpnsmooth wrote:i feel ya, but i didn't get these waivers before i broke 170. not saying i'm a shoe in, but im pretty sure i have a chance.

You should, by all means, apply to schools you're interested in which have offered you fee waivers. Just don't be deluded into thinking you're necessarily an auto-admit. Especially at the top schools.

if we can take your GPA and my LSAT we'd be autoadmits to some of them.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:32 pm

sharpnsmooth wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:

if we can take your GPA and my LSAT we'd be autoadmits to some of them.

An ideal world, where two separate candidates can apply to law school as one person... think of the possibilities!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”