ousted from PhD program?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
halcyon773
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:35 pm

ousted from PhD program?

Postby halcyon773 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:50 pm

Looking for advice--

Last year I entered a PhD program, did ok in the classes (~3.2 GPA) but didn't pass the summer qualifying exams for the second year. Thus I was demoted to the master's track and left recently with an MA. This is reasonably common in my field, but do you think it will be looked at unfavorably by adcomms? On the plus side, it's a graduate degree, but on the minus side, I got kicked out of a grad program, which doesn't sound too good. Thoughts?

User avatar
lsat_fear
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:58 pm

Re: ousted from PhD program?

Postby lsat_fear » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 pm

halcyon773 wrote:Looking for advice--

Last year I entered a PhD program, did ok in the classes (~3.2 GPA) but didn't pass the summer qualifying exams for the second year. Thus I was demoted to the master's track and left recently with an MA. This is reasonably common in my field, but do you think it will be looked at unfavorably by adcomms? On the plus side, it's a graduate degree, but on the minus side, I got kicked out of a grad program, which doesn't sound too good. Thoughts?


econ?

User avatar
OGR3
Posts: 881
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:56 pm

Re: ousted from PhD program?

Postby OGR3 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:04 pm

Think about how many law students got undergraduate degrees in worthless disciplines and went to law school because they figured it was the perfect way for a sociology major to make $160,000.

I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

Also, adcomms only truly care about your undergraduate GPA.

halcyon773
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: ousted from PhD program?

Postby halcyon773 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:05 pm

lsat_fear wrote:
halcyon773 wrote:Looking for advice--

Last year I entered a PhD program, did ok in the classes (~3.2 GPA) but didn't pass the summer qualifying exams for the second year. Thus I was demoted to the master's track and left recently with an MA. This is reasonably common in my field, but do you think it will be looked at unfavorably by adcomms? On the plus side, it's a graduate degree, but on the minus side, I got kicked out of a grad program, which doesn't sound too good. Thoughts?


econ?



Yes indeed.

User avatar
s254w
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: ousted from PhD program?

Postby s254w » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:06 pm

How would they ever know you didn't chose to give up the PhD and graduate with just a masters?

I'm only saying this because I'm finishing up a Ph.D. right now. So many people just quit with a masters. Would it even be indicated in your transcript that you started as a Ph.D. and then left with just a masters? I would just add an addendum, saying you figured a Ph.D. was not for you.

halcyon773
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: ousted from PhD program?

Postby halcyon773 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:09 pm

s254w wrote:How would they ever know you didn't chose to give up the PhD and graduate with just a masters?

I'm only saying this because I'm finishing up a Ph.D. right now. So many people just quit with a masters. Would it even be indicated in your transcript that you started as a Ph.D. and then left with just a masters? I would just add an addendum, saying you figured a Ph.D. was not for you.



In most applications, the academic conduct question seems to require that I disclose it. Otherwise, it's not indicated on my transcript or anything.

User avatar
s254w
Posts: 105
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: ousted from PhD program?

Postby s254w » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:12 pm

Hmm. I see your point. Well, if you answer "yes" to those questions, you need to add a statement anyway. I think this is something easily fixed by a good graduate school professor recommendation (attesting to your ability to carry out advanced academic study), and a statement saying you realized the ph.d. was not a good fit for you.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: ousted from PhD program?

Postby 09042014 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:16 pm

halcyon773 wrote:
s254w wrote:How would they ever know you didn't chose to give up the PhD and graduate with just a masters?

I'm only saying this because I'm finishing up a Ph.D. right now. So many people just quit with a masters. Would it even be indicated in your transcript that you started as a Ph.D. and then left with just a masters? I would just add an addendum, saying you figured a Ph.D. was not for you.



In most applications, the academic conduct question seems to require that I disclose it. Otherwise, it's not indicated on my transcript or anything.


Is not qualifying for PhD track academic misconduct? Doesn't seem like it to me.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Lordcarnus123, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests